The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Two Tars (1928) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_164_Two-Tars
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019504/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/twotars.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_JZBCkqvA

Watch TWO TARS in the link above

TWO TARS has the reputation as being one of Laurel and Hardy's greatest silent films.  My opinion is that there are a few flaws, but what's great about this film so far outweighs the flaws that I'm giving this thing a 10 anyway.  The flaw, in my eyes, is that Laurel and Hardy are not quite as likable as usual.  They almost take glee in the destruction they cause here, which can be witnessed by their reactions as the parade of damaged cars go by in the traffic jam.  Usually, the destruction in their films comes from incompetence or justifiable anger, here it's done with joy!  It's an adventure to them.  OK, so Stan and Ollie are more likable, at least to me, in other movies, but they're still pretty damn funny here anyway.  Oliver pantomiming to Stan how to drive is one of those beautiful moments where anybody knowing the talkies will again picture exactly what Ollie sounds like here.  The facial expressions as they meet the two girls in the car are also priceless, probably the two best faces in comedy here.  The girls themselves feel like props for the boys to impress and bring out their more vulgar tendencies (stealing gum balls, driving against traffic).

Ah, but there is traffic scene itself, a slapstick masterpiece.  This plays out like how many ways can people destroy each other's cars.  It goes on and on and never gets old.  My favorite bits would be the guy getting pushed so hard into a car it cause the car to topple on its side, Stan and Ollie each taking a front tire of another car and tearing the tires off simultaneously, Ruby Blaine spraying the oil in the other woman's face, and Edgar Kennedy falling on top of the side step of his car, causing it to fall. That to me is funny because others have just caused destruction to his car, so Edgar falls in frustration, only to cause more damage himself.  The cop getting involved just makes things funnier.  The already mentioned line of destruction going by is quite a sight, and when the cop orders all the other cars to go after Stan and Ollie, things get even funnier.  Stan and Ollie, dumb as they are, drive onto train tracks in a tunnel where a train heads in their direction. The other cars blindly follow them, and the sight of all those cars going in reverse out of the tunnel is a joy.  When people say the great era of slapstick is the silent era, this is the kind of thing that's being referred to.  There is some visual slapstick comedy that's so thrilling I've never seen it topped in any talkie. 

There are better films for Stan and Ollie character wise, but slapstick wise, this one is one of the greats.  You like traffic jams in comedy?  You like slapstick?  Enjoy.

10/10

- Doug Sarnecky

Wow, an all-time great L&H and an all-time great Stooges.  Not going to be too many weeks like this.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This one gets a 10/10.  It's very similar in concept to BIG BUSINESS, but the destruction goes to new levels here.  Stan is much better at being the wrathful humorist than Ollie.  They did a great job with the corny effects, and it was fun to watch the cop get belted to smithereens.

The opening scenes were precious, but the flippancy the boys display as they wreak havoc is previous.  Here they are more-or-less over-grown manchildren.

You have made for yourself a new L&H fan.  I have to get caught up.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This one gets a 10/10.  It's very similar in concept to BIG BUSINESS, but the destruction goes to new levels here.  Stan is much better at being the wrathful humorist than Ollie.  They did a great job with the corny effects, and it was fun to watch the cop get belted to smithereens.

The opening scenes were precious, but the flippancy the boys display as they wreak havoc is previous.  Here they are more-or-less over-grown manchildren.

You have made for yourself a new L&H fan.  I have to get caught up.

Really happy you're into these.  Here are a few DVD suggestions.

If you have a region 2 (Europe) or region free DVD player, below is the motherload, silents and talkies, 21 DVDs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laurel-Hardy-Collection-21-disc-Box/dp/B0001K2KE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1435192695&sr=1-1&keywords=Laurel+and+Hardy

If you have a region 1 (U.S.) DVD player, below is a 10 DVD set of maybe 95% of their Hal Roach talkies.  This is what I have, 10 DVD's.

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Essential-Collection-Stan/dp/B005BYBZKY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1435192976&sr=1-1&keywords=laurel+and+hardy

As far as region 1 silents, they are spread across nine different fairly pricey DVD's along with other silent shorts in a series called THE LOST FILMS OF LAUREL AND HARDY.  I have these, though it would be nice if a cheaper set with all the silents was made.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

There isn't too much for me to say about this one. It's a pure slapstick fest at its finest. The various ways that people can destroy each others cars as well as hurting each other is very fun and the whole traffic scene itself is the short's main selling point. Prior to that, we do have a fairly amusing scene with Laurel, Hardy, and a shop owner who they briefly get into a fight with, but otherwise there's not much else to it. With a short like this, though, I couldn't ask for much more than that.

Regarding Laurel and Hardy's personalities, I had always kind of assumed that Laurel, Hardy, and their dates were drunk. When it cut to them at the traffic site, it seemed as though they had been partying all day and the fact that they had swapped hats with their dates led me to thinking they had drank a little too much. Regardless, this is a short that needs to be seen to be believed. It's a very visually appealing film, which is a good thing especially considering that it's silent.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Impossible to dislike, "Two Tars" showcases Laurel and Hardy at their destructive best in this unforgettable two-reeler. The road through rural Los Angeles is paved with demolished cars as sailors Stan and Ollie engage in classic "tit for tat" warfare. Masterfully directed by James Parrott and written by the great Leo McCarey. With the exception of "Big Business," the team's best silent film.

10/10

Offline HomokHarcos

Stan and Ollie seem to be having a lot of fun. After taking a long trip from abroad for the Navy, they finally arrive home in the United States where they meet two women. Most of the time this causes domestic trouble, but here they seem to not be married. They cause some trouble at a store front, then they take the women out for a joy ride. They end up in a traffic jam where a destruction derby breaks out. Lots of fun here with smashed windows, flat tires, pushing and shoving, Stan ripping a car door right off, and their girlfriends are cheering them! Of course all of this causes trouble with a police officer trying to arrest them, only for his bicycle to get destroyed.

1928 is probably the best year for silent comedy, sadly it all would all come to an end pretty soon. This year brought many great Laurel and Hardy shorts, The Circus, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Cameraman, Speedy and The Chaser.

Offline NoahYoung

Did anyone know that this was actually the team's first 3-reeler?

The Everson books claims that it was originally 3 reels and then cut-down before release. I have had a few copies on film for years, and they were all mounted on a reel just big enough for a 2-reeler, but I also had seen copies for sale that were mounted on either 3 small reels or 2 bigger reels that were roughly half full.

I recently acquired yet another copy on film, this time a 16mm Blackhawk print, but an older one before they restored all the original main titles. This particular print was obviously spliced together from what was once 3 separate reels, with the original "end of part 1" and "end of part 2" on-screen cards intact! After "end of part 2" there is still more until the short ends!

There is no additional footage, however, and one wonders why Roach released it this way. During the Blackhawk introduction, it does indeed mention that it was their first 3-reeler!

Here you can read Blackhawk's intro since someone telecined their 8mm copy:

This is almost like the one I have, but apparently this was mounted on only 2 reels, which you can see if you zip through it -- there is a Blackhawk "end of reel 1" at about the 10 minute mark. At the end of the film, you can see the "end 2" blackhawk card flickering by.

Not sure what other people think, but I do find it fascinating that it was considered a 3-reeler and in 1928 was supplied on 3 separate 35mm reels -- I do not believe that were able to play larger reels back then but I may be mistaken.

BTW, a "reel" was/is approximatley 10 minutes long, which meant every 10 minutes there would be a changeover from projector "A" to projector "B". A far cry from today where the "projectionist" hits "play" and then can take a 2+ hour nap!
 ;D (Or make out with the girl from the ticket booth or snack stand!)

I read somewhere that sometimes studios would send out films on the maximum number or reels they could get away with to make more money from theaters and distibutors. I'm not sure this was Roach's intention, since I've read him quoted as saying he got no more for a 3-reeler, but BABES IN TOYLAND was supplied on 9 reels but only ran about 78 or 79 minutes. So each reel ran about 9 minutes or less. I have a few prints on film, and at the end, the original on-screen card says "end of part 9."

That telecine of TWO TARS from 8mm is actually very, very good. I doubt it was a true "scan" unless he used a Wolverine or similar product, but I've heard horror stories about Wolverines. (His "about" on his channel does say "scans," though.) Regardless, I doubt there was any or much use of software to balance the black and whites, contrast etc, but it is still impressive. (Note that the whites are a littel too bright and are often washed out.) I bring this up to highlight the quality of even 8mm prints of L&H silents from Blackhawk. I no longer have an 8mm print of this title (only Super 8 and 16mm), but I can tell you that my 8mm print did look much better when projected than that youtube video. (Some 8mm and Super 8 prints from Blackhawk often do have washed-out whites, but my experience with Blackhawk indicates that this was never a problem with their L&H silents.) My 16mm prints (yes, plural) are off-the-charts gorgeous!
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz