Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Half-Wits Holiday (1947)

metaldams · 51 · 23509

Offline Bum

Whoops! I just went back and took a quick look, and I now see that by the time they get to the party, Curly has ditched the light-colored suit and they're all wearing tuxes. I didn't realize that! They're also wearing tuxes in IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE, so some vintage pie-fight footage definitely COULD have been inserted.

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

What's the short in which, during a pie fight, we see a brief shot of Larry in a suit of armor getting hit by a pie? If they can do something as nonsensical as that, they can do anything to fill out a pie fight.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

What's the short in which, during a pie fight, we see a brief shot of Larry in a suit of armor getting hit by a pie?

In the Sweet Pie and Pie
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Larrys#1

Whoops! I just went back and took a quick look, and I now see that by the time they get to the party, Curly has ditched the light-colored suit and they're all wearing tuxes. I didn't realize that! They're also wearing tuxes in IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE, so some vintage pie-fight footage definitely COULD have been inserted.

Interesting. That would've been a good idea. Not only would the episode make more sense (since Curly is now part of the pie fight), but it would take some weight off Moe and Larry, who were forced to continue with the scene after dealing with Curly's stroke. I'm sure it wasn't easy for them to carry on with the scene like they did.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Anyone else actually somewhat excited to be getting into the Shemp shorts?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

[hello]

There are lots of Shemp partisans, you know. Besides that, watching Curly deteriorate is enough to make even Curly partisans look forward to the Shemp shorts. Eventually, though, we shall get to the "dead Shemp" shorts, and after those--ugh!

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Yes, of course! If you asked me if I prefer Curly or Shemp, I would definitely say Shemp, and not think about the question. Shemp was a great comedic genius.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Bring on the Mongoose....   :)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline QuinceHead

I am, to a degree.

While we all wish Curly could have continued, his increasingly obvious poor health was to the Stooges' detriment.

Shemp initially brings a new energy and life to a flagging series until budget cuts start eating away at the shorts.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

I am, to a degree.

While we all wish Curly could have continued, his increasingly obvious poor health was to the Stooges' detriment.

Shemp initially brings a new energy and life to a flagging series until budget cuts start eating away at the shorts.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead
You are very, very true at that, John. But, hey, it was for the better that Curly sadly had this unexpected stroke, because all bad things have reasons. This had a wonderful reason: Shemp. And, tonight, Metaldams is going to be reviewing Fright Night!
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Kopfy2013

But like the short. Definitely is some good hi jinks and one-liners. They have been all mentioned by Metal and others - arithmetic - Larry ducking down on pie fight.  Incidentally I enjoyed the pie fight. Not as good as the others but still enjoyable.

I give this a seven.

I look forward to analyzing the Shemp shorts. Curly's shorts I memorized lines, remember scenes.  I do not remember too many lines from Shemp shorts except for "Hold hands you lovebirds"  So I look forward to going over each and everyone of Shemp shorts one by one, at least until he passed and they did reediting.

Offline metaldams

My boss at work was wondering why I've been so antsy today about this Shemp guy.  Yes, I'm really looking forward to this, and I have no favorite between him and Curly.  It's like choosing a favorite child.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
You are very, very true at that, John. But, hey, it was for the better that Curly sadly had this unexpected stroke, because all bad things have reasons. This had a wonderful reason: Shemp. And, tonight, Metaldams is going to be reviewing Fright Night!

Laddie, don't you think you should... rephrase that?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Watching this short, something I noticed...

When Lulu (to quote metaldams, "Me like Barbara Slater, make a whoopee") introduces Moe and Larry to Mrs Smythe-Smythe, two people - a man and a woman - walk up in the background, appearing to analyze a painting.

The man, I realized, is Chuck Callahan!

Here's the interesting part, apart from just being an ID: this short was filmed in May 1946 and released in January 1947. Almost smack in the middle of that interval, Chuck died in September. So this would had to have been one of his final screen appearances?

(I also have Chuck in walk-ons in several shorts from 1940. And personally, I don't think that's Chuck in A DUCKING THEY DID GO. The Mayor appears to be legit bald, while Chuck looks to have had legit hair. Plus the face and voice seem off to me.)
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

God bless you, G C, I don't think it's him either, and I got clobbered when I said so over a year ago.  To my eye and ear, the mayor and Mr. McGurn look and sound nothing the same, and the mayor is legit bald.  Nice to have some company, especially someone with your extra-spotting chops.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I don't think it's Chuck either studying the heads of "The Mayor" and a different confirmed photo of Chuck.  The ears aren't even the same shape or size!
#1 fire kibitzer

This is odd, but it's exactly one year later, I'm just surfing and I've hit upon this thread and the fact that my pal Paul Pain agrees with the contention, first posited by me and more-or-less seconded by Green Canaries that The Mayor and Mr McGurn are not the same actor.  Thank you, Pain old man,  we're up against some Hollywood Heavyweights on this, perhaps in time we'll all engage and reach the truth.
     In the meanwhile, how about my contention that the unshaven Effie the Bearded Lady, and the shaven Effie, are not the same actor/actress?  I can entertain the theory that the unshaven Effie is an actual bearded lady, or at least a woman, due to her theatrical but womanly voice, while the shaven Effie is a man.  The two really don't look alike, and the one with the beard comes across as more womanly than the one without.  These are deep waters, indeed.

Offline JWF

really late to the party here, but having just watched a few Emil Sitka clips on You Tube, I'm pretty amazed at his ability to take a fall during that "luncheon is served" gag.  The stooges literally knock him off his feet and it sure look like Larry and Moe step right on his face.  That had to hurt!

Offline Theoted

• Porcupine
  • "Hold hands, you lovebirds."
Here is something I found of interest. In the 2015 non-fiction book, "The Santa Claus Man: The Rise and Fall of a Jazz Age Con Man and the Invention of Christmas in New York", the story is about a con-man PR hack, John Gluck, who creates a charity to assist poor kids in New Yor City. Early in the story, Gluck marries a recent immigrant woman Symona Boniface who is pursuing a career as an actress. She is in her early early 20s when she weds Gluck, who is about 20 years her elder. The marriage lasts a few years, and Symona also slightly helps Gluck in running his charity. Anyway, Symona finally gets wise and divorces Gluck, and she moves to Hollywood to become an actress --- and she eventually enters the world of the Three Stooges as a supporting actress.
Anyway, "The Santa Claus Man" is a well-researched read about charitable organizations in NYC during the Jazz Age. Read the book, it's a good story and provides a little information about pretty Symona Boniface!

Offline QuinceHead

Here is something I found of interest. In the 2015 non-fiction book, "The Santa Claus Man: The Rise and Fall of a Jazz Age Con Man and the Invention of Christmas in New York", the story is about a con-man PR hack, John Gluck, who creates a charity to assist poor kids in New Yor City. Early in the story, Gluck marries a recent immigrant woman Symona Boniface who is pursuing a career as an actress. She is in her early early 20s when she weds Gluck, who is about 20 years her elder. The marriage lasts a few years, and Symona also slightly helps Gluck in running his charity. Anyway, Symona finally gets wise and divorces Gluck, and she moves to Hollywood to become an actress --- and she eventually enters the world of the Three Stooges as a supporting actress.
Anyway, "The Santa Claus Man" is a well-researched read about charitable organizations in NYC during the Jazz Age. Read the book, it's a good story and provides a little information about pretty Symona Boniface!

Wow!  I'll have to check this one out!!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

While it was difficult to watch Curly's increasing deteriorating health that would end his career but Moe, Larry & the supporting cast do a great job with their roles and make the most out of the episode, while I consider "Half Waits Holiday" to be a well made episode I would prefer seeing a healthier, more energetic Curly, he does seem to be at a very low ebb here but I've thought he was a little healthier and a bit more animated here (up until the party scenes) than he was in "Three Loan Wolves"

I totally loved the scene where Moe and Larry threw the pies at a snobby woman after she called them "disgraceful vagabonds." I love seeing the Stooges or the working class people retaliate against the snobs.

Overall I give the episode a 7/10

Offline Dr. Mabuse

As a child, I grew up loving this two-reeler — especially the pie fight. However, recent viewings of "Half-Wits Holiday" have been decidedly less enjoyable . . . for obvious reasons.  Nevertheless, Curly has a few bright moments and, with the exception of "Rhythm and Weep," the overall effort is superior to the Jules White-directed shorts from 1946.

6.5/10

Offline metaldams

As a child, I grew up loving this two-reeler — especially the pie fight. However, recent viewings of "Half-Wits Holiday" have been decidedly less enjoyable . . . for obvious reasons.  Nevertheless, Curly has a few bright moments and, with the exception of "Rhythm and Weep," the overall effort is superior to the Jules White-directed shorts from 1946.

6.5/10

Fascinating how not knowing of Curly’s stroke as a child gave you a different opinion of this short.  I saw a lot of Stooge shorts as a kid but this one I don’t remember from back then.  By the time I got around to it in my twenties, I knew about Curly’s condition.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The only 1945-46 shorts I watched in the early 1970s were "Micro-Phonies," "Beer Barrel Polecats" and "The Three Troubledoers." I did not know about Curly's stroke until I saw Moe Howard's 1973 appearance on "The Mike Douglas Show."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:01:21 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Curly Van Dyke

I often Wondered why didn't they just incorporate some of Curly's Pie footage from "In the Sweet Pie and Pie"?
They used younger Curly footage in "Beer Barrell Polecats". At least you'd think he was still in the short.
Most moviegoers wouldn't notice the difference-Certainly not a "Fake Shemp"!!!!