Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who do you want to discuss next?

metaldams · 65 · 24007

Poll

Which comedian(s) would you like to discuss next?

Charles Chaplin
3 (13.6%)
Buster Keaton
4 (18.2%)
Harold Lloyd
0 (0%)
Harry Langdon
0 (0%)
Charley Chase
2 (9.1%)
Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle
0 (0%)
Larry Semon
0 (0%)
W.C. Fields
1 (4.5%)
Wheeler and Woolsey
0 (0%)
Abbott and Costello
5 (22.7%)
Martin and Lewis
0 (0%)
Our Gang/Little Rascals
3 (13.6%)
Bowery Boys
0 (0%)
The Ritz Brothers
1 (4.5%)
Other
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Offline metaldams

This is just for fun, and ultimately I make the final decision, so take the results with a grain of salt.  I'm going to throw a bunch of names, and you get vote who to discuss next after The Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy.  My heart's really set on Buster Keaton for at least one of the next ones, but I still would like your opinions.  Please state who you voted for and why.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

I voted for The Little Rascals ( no surprise there) because their work is timeless & can make you remember memories of the past. ( Plus, occasionally there's some really cute kids, especially Baby Spanky McFarland.)
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I voted "Abbott and Costello", mostly because they are the team I'm most familiar with from the list you provided. Plus I think it would be fun to discuss some of those early A & C features, and whether or not anyone thinks Buck Privates is as overrated as I think it is....  :P

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline luke795

I voted for Abbott and Costello.  I think I got into them from seeing Africa Screams which also stars Shemp and Joe Besser.  If Abbott and Costello is next, them after them I would to see reviews for Martin & Lewis and the Ritz Brothers.  Now I have only watched the Martin & Lewis movies once.  The Ritz Brothers movies I have seen at least 2 times.

Offline Larrys#1

I voted "Abbott and Costello", mostly because they are the team I'm most familiar with from the list you provided. Plus I think it would be fun to discuss some of those early A & C features, and whether or not anyone thinks Buck Privates is as overrated as I think it is....  :P

Same here, Abbott and Costello gets my vote. I am not familiar with any of those other comedians in the poll. Pathetic, but true.  :-[

Offline metaldams

As far as BUCK PRIVATES, you're definitely not the only one!  A few funny scenes, but the film leaves me cold on several levels, which I'm sure I'll get to someday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....and come on!  Where are the legions of Larry Semon fans?  :)
- Doug Sarnecky

....and come on!  Where are the legions of Larry Semon fans?  :)
That was probably meant to be sarcastic, but I am a Larry Semon fan, actually! His work just doesn't appeal to me as much as the others listed do, and I find his work interesting for they have both Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy ( but, not in the same movies together) before their teaming. It's a shame not much people know about him, and even more so that he died at such a young age and that he could barely get to see co-stars Laurel and Hardy become famous, as a team!
  I didn't know there was  much A&C fans on this board.... A&C do appeal to me and I like their routines, except if I were to give them a rating out of 10, it would probably be a 9.5, while other options would be rated a 10. There's a lot more that are better than A&C.

Same here, Abbott and Costello gets my vote. I am not familiar with any of those other comedians in the poll. Pathetic, but true.  :-[
SERIOUSLY?? C'mon, you've got to at least be familiar with Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton!!!! If not, I strongly recommend Googling some of the people that are listed, because I'll garauntee almost all of them have interesting life stories, especially Fatty Arbuckle. While his life story is among one of the sadder ones, I find it to be very interesting, and you can keep on finding different things to learn about, especially when one of his lost films is discovered.

To tell the truth, I've never even seen Buck Privates! Only if it has Shemp and The Andrews Sisters in it, I'm watching it... and I'm not kidding.

Offline metaldams

That was probably meant to be sarcastic, but I am a Larry Semon fan, actually! His work just doesn't appeal to me as much as the others listed do, and I find his work interesting for they have both Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy ( but, not in the same movies together) before their teaming. It's a shame not much people know about him, and even more so that he died at such a young age and that he could barely get to see co-stars Laurel and Hardy become famous, as a team!
  I didn't know there was  much A&C fans on this board.... A&C do appeal to me and I like their routines, except if I were to give them a rating out of 10, it would probably be a 9.5, while other options would be rated a 10. There's a lot more that are better than A&C.
  SERIOUSLY?? C'mon, you've got to at least be familiar with Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton!!!! If not, I strongly recommend Googling some of the people that are listed, because I'll garauntee almost all of them have interesting life stories, especially Fatty Arbuckle. While his life story is among one of the sadder ones, I find it to be very interesting, and you can keep on finding different things to learn about, especially when one of his lost films is discovered.
 To tell the truth, I've never even seen Buck Privates! Only if it has Shemp and The Andrews Sisters in it, I'm watching it... and I'm not kidding.

I like Larry Semon too.  He doesn't have the greatest character like a Chaplin or Langdon but he's just good enough and the destruction of property in his films is mind blowing!  If someone's idea of comedy is things being destroyed at a very expensive rate, fat men being covered in various gooey substances, a black character named G. Howe Black (I had a black friend laugh hysterically when I mentioned this, by the way), and crazy stunts done by everybody in Hollywood except the comedian himself, than Larry Semon comedies should be right up your alley.  Not exactly intellectual masterpieces, but bizzare enough to keep me interested.  It looks like a book is being released about him this summer, I plan to buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Comedian-Silent-Biography-Filmography/dp/0786498226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424398715&sr=8-1&keywords=Larry+Semon+book
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

If you ever are interested in checking any of them out, ask and I'll give you a good starting place.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbday

Keaton would be my choice, as he's my favorite person in film. However, I imagine that Our Gang/Little Rascals would probably be more familiar than Keaton to lots of Stooges fans (maybe even more so than Laurel and Hardy), and might generate more discussion. (Personally, A&C's characters and movies never appealed to me at all — although I see that many other folks favor them.)

Offline metaldams

Keaton would be my choice, as he's my favorite person in film. However, I imagine that Our Gang/Little Rascals would probably be more familiar than Keaton to lots of Stooges fans (maybe even more so than Laurel and Hardy), and might generate more discussion. (Personally, A&C's characters and movies never appealed to me at all — although I see that many other folks favor them.)

Based on my wheelhouse, I view Keaton's body of work in the twenties to be the single greatest artistic achievement in one decade in the entire twentieth century, Beatles in the sixties included (Harold Lloyd ain't too shabby either, and Chaplin, great as he was, was less prolific that decade).

As for Bud and Lou, I don't know if other people favor them because of them working with Shemp, the fact their films were on television a lot, or simply because they made talkies.  Either way, while I like Bud and Lou, so many of their films are interchangeable.  Not all, but a lot of them.  Their TV show was best, but there's no way their body of work is close to twenties Keaton.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
The "comedians" I prefer would never be considered by you guys... Lucille Ball, Bea Arthur...

While I admit I have not seen most of those guys, I know for a fact that I do not like THE LITTLE RASCALS, and before you ask I never did like them from when I was a little brother just this high.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:13:34 PM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

The "comedians" I prefer would never be considered by you guys... Lucille Ball, Bea Arthur...

While I admit I have not scene most of those guys, I know for a fact that I do not like THE LITTLE RASCALS, and before you ask I never did like them from when I was little brother just this high.

I've been wanting to revisit I LOVE LUCY for the longest time, so you never know.  That said, some of these other names, as well as Laurel and Hardy and The Marx Brothers, are well worth visiting.  You can write a book on gags silent comedians used that later appeared in Stooge shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I am sure I will get there.

When, not if
#1 fire kibitzer

While I admit I have not scene most of those guys, I know for a fact that I do not like THE LITTLE RASCALS, and before you ask I never did like them from when I was little brother just this high.
Why don't you like The Little Rascals? They're all so cute!!

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Why don't you like The Little Rascals? They're all so cute!!

Cute doesn't make up for lack of humor (in my eyes only).
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Cute doesn't make up for lack of humor (in my eyes only).

I'm a bit in the middle of you two on this.  The best Our Gang films do have some great humor, there just aren't enough of them.  It is true that a lot of the Our Gang films get by on cuteness, or in some cases, even how children should behave.  I seem to remember a short or two with kids balling their eyes out in tears and getting punished, not exactly my idea of a good time.  That said, the best Our Gang shorts are as good as anything else, you just have to search harder to find them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
  • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles
Hey you guys -- how about Looney Tunes, maybe Bugs Bunny cartoons in particular? No?
You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

Offline metaldams

Hey you guys -- how about Looney Tunes, maybe Bugs Bunny cartoons in particular? No?

Well, I'd have to real creative here.  Aren't there over 1,000 of those cartoons?  Weekly would take twenty years!

For the record, I love Looney Tunes.  A straight release of the shorts in order would be manna from Heaven, but it will never happen for several reasons (too many black and white cartoons early on = perceived low sales potential, racial cartoons, the sheer number of shorts to restore, etc.).  I only own volume one of THE GOLDEN COLLECTION myself, been meaning to pick up more.  Definitely a childhood staple for me, and if you or anybody else have a creative way to do this, and if I can find some of these on YouTube, I'd consider.  The interest has to be there too, which is not always a given.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
The straight answer for me is this: There are a few TV shows I would have a blast reviewing-- I Love Lucy, Star Trek: TOS, Mister Ed... actually, those are the only shows I have seen every episode of besides one episode of Mama's Family and a handful of Golden Girls episodes.  I would have tons of fun reviewing these, heck I could probably lead the reviews on all of them (and have considered asking for such) I have watched them with such dedication...

I also think that we are in a short-subject/vaudevillian film forum, and as a result I see no problem with the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, Fatty Arbuckle, etc. being brought up here.  But I don't think there's room for Lucy, Kirk, and Bea on here as those were all sitcoms (yes, Star Trek is a sitcom in my book only without a live audience or laugh track).

Not as for animated short subjects... I judgeth not.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
Well, I'd have to real creative here.  Aren't there over 1,000 of those cartoons?  Weekly would take twenty years!

For the record, I love Looney Tunes.  A straight release of the shorts in order would be manna from Heaven, but it will never happen for several reasons (too many black and white cartoons early on = perceived low sales potential, racial cartoons, the sheer number of shorts to restore, etc.).  I only own volume one of THE GOLDEN COLLECTION myself, been meaning to pick up more.  Definitely a childhood staple for me, and if you or anybody else have a creative way to do this, and if I can find some of these on YouTube, I'd consider.  The interest has to be there too, which is not always a given.

Okay; just thought I'd throw it out there; the Bugs Bunny ones especially; there are 180 of those. Just got the 6-volume Golden Collection a few years ago and they are just awesome.

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
Star Trek: TOS,

OMG; I am the biggest original series nerd on the planet. I would definitely do TOS. I know this isn't the place for Trek or Looney Tunes. While you guys are doing the other B/W comedians I'll catch up on Stooges reviews. I can only do Stooges; no other vintage comedians. I've tried them; I just don't get them or don't care; everything else pales in comparison to my boys.

Offline stoogerascalfan62

I love the Rascals just as good as the Stooges, though the gang's style differed greatly than that of the Stooges, not as slapstick oriented.

Offline metaldams

Okay; just thought I'd throw it out there; the Bugs Bunny ones especially; there are 180 of those. Just got the 6-volume Golden Collection a few years ago and they are just awesome.

Bugs Bunny will be considered, it's actually a good idea.
- Doug Sarnecky