Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Our Gang/The Little Rascals thread

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

And, a propos of nothing, even though it's heartwarming to know that Porky and Buckwheat were best friends, as were    ( I now know, thank you very much ) Dickie and Stymie,  It's kind of cool to know that Spanky and Alfalfa, or at least their families, or manager/families, whatever, were edgy with each other.  The two little kids had such onscreen magic that at this date it would be gooey and boring to know they had been kissy-kissy off camera.  Let's face it: when those two were onscreen at their peak, little else mattered, even Darla.  Sad that their later lives were kind of crappy, and of course in Mr Switzer's case, downright awful,  but I like the soap-opera quality of their peak years.
Well, it wasn't so much Spanky and Alfalfa, it was their parents arguing who was the more important Rascal. But, who's counting? Want to know who had really crappy lives? Norman " Chubby Chaney" who died at 21 over crash dieting a bit too much and William " Froggy " Laughlin who died of a motor scooter accident at the age of 16.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

I've posted this somewhere else, I forget where, but there is a still of the kids with Laurel and Hardy, and it's amazing to see - they were SO TINY! Not only next to king-size Oliver Hardy, but even to Stan Laurel.  One loses perspective when the shorts themselves have only children.  Even Alfalfa, who was relatively tall, is about the size of Stan's leg.  It doesn't look like trick photography, a la Brats, either.

Chubby and Froggy had short lives, for sure, and George Mac Farland's life was anything but glamorous once he left Hollywood,  but Carl Switzer's life was short AND awful.

I've posted this somewhere else, I forget where, but there is a still of the kids with Laurel and Hardy, and it's amazing to see - they were SO TINY! Not only next to king-size Oliver Hardy, but even to Stan Laurel.  One loses perspective when the shorts themselves have only children.  Even Alfalfa, who was relatively tall, is about the size of Stan's leg.  It doesn't look like trick photography, a la Brats, either.
Ooh, post a link if you are able to find the pic! It sounds interesting! What do you think about the MGM shorts? What I think of them is crap. They kind of sort of suck... Some of them even deal with divorce and teach terrible school lessons!!!!!! What would Hal Roach've said? " MGM,  [censored]!"

Chubby and Froggy had short lives, for sure, and George Mac Farland's life was anything but glamorous once he left Hollywood,  but Carl Switzer's life was short AND awful.
Yep, Carl got shot to death at the age of 31 over 50 bucks. He pulled a knife out, and the other person shot him and killed him. They used to be friends. It was said to just be self-defense, except I feel like nobody should shoot somebody and kill them just out of self-defense. There was probably something else going on between Carl and the other guy. A terrible, terrible life. At least, he found a few acting jobs, although in most of them he was forced to sing awfully and then after explain that he only did that as a child.. I still like his appearance in It's A Wonderful Life, though.

I can't retrieve that still, being as I am terminally computer-impaired, but I'm sure somebody on here can.  It's a fairly famous picture.  Also, BTW, it's nice to see that George "Spanky" Mac Farland's final appearance was on a classy show like Cheers in a scene that got big laughs.  He went out on a high note.

I can't retrieve that still, being as I am terminally computer-impaired, but I'm sure somebody on here can.  It's a fairly famous picture.  Also, BTW, it's nice to see that George "Spanky" Mac Farland's final appearance was on a classy show like Cheers in a scene that got big laughs.  He went out on a high note.
Yes. It's quite funny. One of the characters thinks he's Spanky, and goes on and on and on about Our Gang/The Little Rascals, to which Spanky says that he isn't Spanky. One of the other characters asks, " Are you Spanky?" and Spanky nods. It's a shame that he ended at 64. Such a cute child actor. Same with Scotty Beckett. Now, that was a real sad ending, if you ask me.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I've heard the story that Porky and Buckwheat had speech impediments, but I don't believe it.  I'm the firstborn in my family, and I heard a lot of "baby speech" growing up.  Also, my mother decided I ought to look after her friends' sons from time to time when I was a teenager.  I've been around a lot of young children as Sunday School teacher and reading tutor, etc.  In my opinion, Porky and Buckwheat just had "baby speech."  I knew a seven year-old who still talked like Elmer Fudd, by which I mean to say that children's speech can mature at different rates.  Also, I think Porky and Buckwheat were even cuter because of the way they talked.  I seem to hear Porky, when he was at his youngest, pronouncing Spanky as "Banky," which is the way many young children would pronounce and "sp" sound.  I agree with the Big Chief that we need to remember just how young P. and B. were when they began. 

About friendships - - according to the Leonard Maltin's books, the children got along well, for the most part.  Some of the adult Rascals recalled Alfalfa's father encouraging him to be aggressive with the other children.  Yet Tommy Bonds remembered getting along famously with Alfalfa.  Another adult Rascal recalled that the children got along well but that the adults were more likely to jockey for position.  I'm still reading Mr. Maltin's book (as well as several others) right now.

There was an article, published last year, saying that the adult Alfalfa was set up and never had a weapon.

So, S_I_A78, how shall you celebrate Buckwheat's birthday?  I'd like to hear about that.  But I suggest that you not dress like Buckwheat, at least not in his youngest years when he wore that wacky shirt/dress thing and the long shoes with the pointy toes  ;) (those shoes were worn previously by Farina when he was small).   

I've heard the story that Porky and Buckwheat had speech impediments, but I don't believe it.  I'm the firstborn in my family, and I heard a lot of "baby speech" growing up.  Also, my mother decided I ought to look after her friends' sons from time to time when I was a teenager.  I've been around a lot of young children as Sunday School teacher and reading tutor, etc.  In my opinion, Porky and Buckwheat just had "baby speech."  I knew a seven year-old who still talked like Elmer Fudd, by which I mean to say that children's speech can mature at different rates.  Also, I think Porky and Buckwheat were even cuter because of the way they talked.  I seem to hear Porky, when he was at his youngest, pronouncing Spanky as "Banky," which is the way many young children would pronounce and "sp" sound.  I agree with the Big Chief that we need to remember just how young P. and B. were when they began. 

About friendships - - according to the Leonard Maltin's books, the children got along well, for the most part.  Some of the adult Rascals recalled Alfalfa's father encouraging him to be aggressive with the other children.  Yet Tommy Bonds remembered getting along famously with Alfalfa.  Another adult Rascal recalled that the children got along well but that the adults were more likely to jockey for position.  I'm still reading Mr. Maltin's book (as well as several others) right now.

There was an article, published last year, saying that the adult Alfalfa was set up and never had a weapon.

So, S_I_A78, how shall you celebrate Buckwheat's birthday?  I'd like to hear about that.  But I suggest that you not dress like Buckwheat, at least not in his youngest years when he wore that wacky shirt/dress thing and the long shoes with the pointy toes  ;) (those shoes were worn previously by Farina when he was small).
I shall have a couple of people over, have a small Our Gang marathon ( of course, only episodes with Buckwheat.)

It's on YouTube.  Spanky's last appearance, I mean.  How old would Buckwheat be?

Offline Signor Spumoni

I shall have a couple of people over, have a small Our Gang marathon ( of course, only episodes with Buckwheat.)

You know you must serve Buckwheat pancakes, don't you? :)

It's on YouTube.  Spanky's last appearance, I mean.  How old would Buckwheat be?
You know you must serve Buckwheat pancakes, don't you? :)
I'm not that extreme.  :laugh:

Offline Signor Spumoni

I can't think of anything else made with Buckwheat.  But maybe there's a beer.  There's a beer made with almost anything, or so it seems at the grocery store.

SIA, really? Only 84?  Born in '31?  How old was he when he made his debut, and I'm not asking this sarcastically, 3?  2?

Offline metaldams

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6RM1Gvw4Amo

Here's a clip of Spanky with Wheeler and Woolsey in KENTUCKY KERNELS (1934) in case anyone's interested.  Spanky must've been loaned out to RKO for this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025345/
- Doug Sarnecky

As I said, I don't know how to post it, but the L&H/Spanky and Alfalfa still comes right up on Google.  It's so easy even I can do it.  L & H look like they're costumed for Way Out West.

Offline metaldams

As I said, I don't know how to post it, but the L&H/Spanky and Alfalfa still comes right up on Google.  It's so easy even I can do it.  L & H look like they're costumed for Way Out West.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Aha.  I googled it.  There's LOTS of buckwheat beer.

Ha, that figures!  There's everything-else beer, so why not?  Have to wonder about the taste.  Sometimes I'm afraid beer is going through an Annie Greensprings phase.

Anyway, that's just the thing for your celebration, SIA78, pancakes and beer.

Thanks, Metal.  I think you've done this for me before.  If I had an ounce of initiative I'd learn the thing.

Offline Signor Spumoni

SIA, really? Only 84?  Born in '31?  How old was he when he made his debut, and I'm not asking this sarcastically, 3?  2?

I think he was 3, a young-looking 3.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thanks for posting the photo, Metal.  That's a nice one.

I think I might also have seen buckwheat served as a sidedish, like rice or couscous.  Pancakes, sidedish, and beer.  Skip the first two, and you've got yourself a party.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I think I might also have seen buckwheat served as a sidedish, like rice or couscous.  Pancakes, sidedish, and beer.  Skip the first two, and you've got yourself a party.

:laugh: