Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Our Gang/The Little Rascals thread

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Eh, there's nothing special about that Cheers clip... except for grown-up Spanky... sitting with a cast member from Cheers... in his last TV appearance before death. Okay, whatever, it is kinda special!!!
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline stoogerascalfan62

My favorite part of "Love Business" is when Dorothy misquotes Chubby, thinking he said "I hear the fleas in your whiskers" [actual saying-"Can't you hear the pleas in my whispers?"] and "I just want to rip my pants" [Chubby-"I just want to skip and dance"].

Yes, Love Business is one of the better early sound Our Gang shorts. " Don't call me Norman, call me Chubsy-ubsy!" That is so classic. Norman "Chubby" Chaney was very talented. It's a shame he was gone by 18... and am I the only one that finds it hard to believe that he was 13 in Love Business?

EDIT: Norman was actually 17 in Love Business. There is some confusion about his birthdate ( is it 1914 or 1918) but 1918 was a bogus year Norman's mother created to have her son fit in the age group for Our Gang kids. In the 1920 census, Norman is listed as being 5 and a half, which makes his birthdate 1914, and means he died at the age of 22.

Offline Signor Spumoni

What amazes me is that Norman was so small and young-looking for his age that his parents told people he was six when he was ten, and it was believable.  So he started in the OG/LR shorts at the age when the other children were retired.

Did anyone here know about the grave marker for Norman?  I read about it but not till after it was a done deal.  He and his mother, who died when Norman was a teenager, were without grave markers.  Someone started a fundraiser among OG/LR fans and made not only enough money for a marker for him but enough for one for his mother, too.  It's a nice story.

Oh, yeah, I knew about that nice, little story. And, have you seen this video? I didn't know kids knew about Our Gang, besides Spanky, Alfalfa, and Darla!!http://www.youtu.be/Jo9p6Psu2Ok

Offline Signor Spumoni

Every time I click on the video link I get an error message.  Can you tell me what to search for on youtube?  I can find it that way.

It's by the user normanchaney, an the video is called Colin.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thanks, S_I_A78. It's nice that the little boy in the video seemed to like Norman.

Those are beautiful headstones.  I was picturing something smaller such as is on Alfalfa's grave. 

Yeah. I just watched the doc The Our Gang Story. It's pretty good, because it goes into detail about what happened after each of the cast member's careers, and shows clips if they were in any movies. I recommend it.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yeah. I just watched the doc The Our Gang Story. It's pretty good, because it goes into detail about what happened after each of the cast member's careers, and shows clips if they were in any movies. I recommend it.

Is that on youtube?

I don't know.. I watched it on DVD, except right now I'll go and look for it and see if it's on YouTube.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I was thinking about "Chubbsy-Ubbsy" because of this discussion thread.  There was a catchy little song called, "Norman," from 1961; it was done by a girl called Sue Thompson.  There used to be a posting of it on youtube with a montage of still photos of Norman Chaney for the video portion.  But it's gone now.  I was going to post the link.  It was very nice, and the information section included some of his biography.

Are you familiar with Eugene "Pineapple" Jackson?

I was thinking about "Chubbsy-Ubbsy" because of this discussion thread.  There was a catchy little song called, "Norman," from 1961; it was done by a girl called Sue Thompson.  There used to be a posting of it on youtube with a montage of still photos of Norman Chaney for the video portion.  But it's gone now.  I was going to post the link.  It was very nice, and the information section included some of his biography.

I'm not as familiar with the silents, but I know Eugene Jackson. He was a nice child actor. Usually, when I tell people about the 5 main black stars of Our Gang, here's what happens:

Me: Do you know Sunshine Sammy Morrison?
Person: Yep, first black star.
Me: Do you know Allen Farina Hoskins?
Person: I always enjoyed him..
Me: Do you know Stymie Beard?
Person: Yeah, he was real cute.
Me: Do you know Buckwheat?
Person: Who doesn't?
Me: How about Eugene " Pineapple" Jackson?
Person: WHO??!!??

Yeah, I don't think many casual Our Gang fans know about Pineapple.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Here's his page from Jackie Lynn Taylor's 1970 book "The Turned-On Hollywood 7."

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thank you, S_I_A78 and HiramHorwitz for your replies.  It's nice to find others who recognize Pineapple.  So far, you're the first two who have!  Speaking of Sunshine Sammy, I just watched a Charley Chase movie where SS's sister, Dorothy, played a big role.  I believe she's still alive, too.

I'll look around for that book by Jackie Lynn Taylor, HH.  Thanks for posting the page!  I'm always on the lookout for books by the performers.  Do you recommend this one?

Currently I'm reading Eugene "Pineapple" Jackson, Pineapple's memoirs.  What an upbeat person he was!  I just started reading the book, but he already has an impressive resume` at a tender, young age. 

Yes, he was also in one of The Addams Family movies, if I can remember correctly.

Offline hiramhorwitz

I'll look around for that book by Jackie Lynn Taylor, HH.  Thanks for posting the page!  I'm always on the lookout for books by the performers.  Do you recommend this one?

I don't know that I'd recommend it, unless you can get it for a pittance.  The used copies available on Amazon are typically in the $50-$100 range, and that's way too much for this light weight 75 page spiral bound publication.  The Leonard Maltin book is considerably meatier, more polished, and complete -- and it's usually available at a significantly lower price.

When the Taylor book came out (1970), it was the only thing available focusing on the Gang.  As a novelty, it's nice to have, and was certainly interesting enough to thumb through in the day.  But the focus of the biographies is out of balance and sketchy.  Obviously, Taylor wrote about those she could find easily, and tended to ignore those outside of her sphere.  One of the final pages of the book is called "Jackie's Ten Most Wanted,"  which was a request asking the reader for any information available to help her find ten specific "lost" gang members.  Believe it or not, Jackie's "wanted" list included Joe Cobb, Tommy Bupp, Mary Ann Jackson, Spanky McFarland, Dorothy DeBorba, and Jerry Tucker.  That gives you some idea of the level of research that went into the book.

Not that the book is junk -- it's definitely a unique oddity for the diehard Gang fan -- but it's not particularly enlightening or interesting, and it doesn't appear to be highly accurate.  One thing that I always questioned is the chapter about Buckwheat, which includes a picture of young William Thomas playing the role, but identifies the Buckwheat in the picture as being James Frazier, and then goes on to address Frazier's current life.  This is not too much different from the 1981 20/20 Buckwheat piece airing shortly after the death of William Thomas, in which a seemingly random gentleman was identified as being Buckwheat.  At the time, it was clear that 20/20 hadn't done their homework, as most Gang fans were fully aware that the gent on the screen was an imposter.  Eventually, 20/20 made a retraction, after William Thomas Jr (who was an up and coming actor at the time) came forth with evidence that his father had been the young actor highlighted in the 20/20 film clips, and that the person being interviewed was a fake.  Enough said.

Oh, yes, I saw a clip of the 20/20 episode. The reporter did not do her homework and referred to Spooky Hooky as " the one where you guys are in a haunted house" or something like that. Spanky McFarland actually told them that it was not Buckwheat and that it was an imposter, except the imposter still claimed to be Buckwheat. I could tell the reporter was embarrassed. I could tell that even Bill English, the imposter was embarrassed, too!

Offline hiramhorwitz

Oh, yes, I saw a clip of the 20/20 episode. The reporter did not do her homework and referred to Spooky Hooky as " the one where you guys are in a haunted house" or something like that. Spanky McFarland actually told them that it was not Buckwheat and that it was an imposter, except the imposter still claimed to be Buckwheat. I could tell the reporter was embarrassed. I could tell that even Bill English, the imposter was embarrassed, too!

Great stuff!

Offline Signor Spumoni

I found a copy of Jackie Lynn Taylor's book on abebooks.com for a "mere" $125  :o !  I tried to request it from interlibrary loan but the system is acting up today.  After reading your review of the book, HiramHorwitz, I'll not worry that I may not be able to read it.  At this point, I'm up to my eyebrows in books to read anyway.  The old saying is true about so many books and so little time. 

I didn't see any of the TV programs about OG/LR, but I read about the impostors.  I think some of the impostors are glory-seekers while a few others are, frankly, delusional, believing their own stories.  But there's also the point, made on the Rascals board, that local children in some cities and towns were hired when OG/LR made personal appearances.  I didn't have time to read the whole article, but I'll go back to look again.  But it seems that some of the impostors were people who appeared with (or possibly as) the Gang but one occasion only.  But there is no new thing under the sun, as Ecclesiastes says.  Look how many claims were made to be Anastasia, the (supposed) survivor of Tsar Nicolas' family, for but one example.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yes, he was also in one of The Addams Family movies, if I can remember correctly.

I just saw a photo of him from that movie.  I saw the movie, but didn't remember him (you'd think a bass player with one arm projecting from his chest would be memorable).  Luckily, his book is chockful of pictures, and that's one of them.

I found a copy of Jackie Lynn Taylor's book on abebooks.com for a "mere" $125  :o !  I tried to request it from interlibrary loan but the system is acting up today.  After reading your review of the book, HiramHorwitz, I'll not worry that I may not be able to read it.  At this point, I'm up to my eyebrows in books to read anyway.  The old saying is true about so many books and so little time. 

I didn't see any of the TV programs about OG/LR, but I read about the impostors.  I think some of the impostors are glory-seekers while a few others are, frankly, delusional, believing their own stories.  But there's also the point, made on the Rascals board, that local children in some cities and towns were hired when OG/LR made personal appearances.  I didn't have time to read the whole article, but I'll go back to look again.  But it seems that some of the impostors were people who appeared with (or possibly as) the Gang but one occasion only.  But there is no new thing under the sun, as Ecclesiastes says.  Look how many claims were made to be Anastasia, the (supposed) survivor of Tsar Nicolas' family, for but one example.
Here's a funny video about one of the imposters named Bill English on 20/20 claiming to be Buckwheat!

http://www.youtu.be/XGq1kHwREnc

There's also this short little clip on the doc I mentioned earlier of " The Our Gang Band" appearing in a personal appearance tour... Yeah, I read about that on the Rascals board, too.. Somebody claimed to be Farina, too. Even worse, it was a girl!

Oh, dang! The video didn't show up. It's called Buckwheat Hoax.