Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Our Gang/The Little Rascals thread

Offline Signor Spumoni

Here's a funny video about one of the imposters named Bill English on 20/20 claiming to be Buckwheat!

http://www.youtu.be/XGq1kHwREnc

There's also this short little clip on the doc I mentioned earlier of " The Our Gang Band" appearing in a personal appearance tour... Yeah, I read about that on the Rascals board, too.. Somebody claimed to be Farina, too. Even worse, it was a girl!

Oops, someone didn't do her homework!  I'm sure that made it easier to point out her fraud.

I'll look for the Buckwheat Hoax.  Do you know if Buckwheat's son wrote a book about his father? 

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

I wouldn't think so, except I'm not positive. One of the real tragedies of Our Gang was Froggy Laughlin. He was one of the only things that made the MGM shorts worth watching, except he didn't live too long...  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline hiramhorwitz

Do you know if Buckwheat's son wrote a book about his father?

Yes, the book is published by Bear Manor Media and is available unabridged in the hard back edition and abridged in the soft back edition.  I don't know the details of the unabridged version, but I've heard that the abridged version is only about 40 pages in length.  Amazon's reviews of the abridged version are mixed -- from very good to very bad.  The book is co-authored by David Menafee, who I seem to recall has a website or blog.  If I can find any additional information on the book (like the differences between the unabridged and abridged versions), I'll share it with you here.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Currently I'm reading Eugene "Pineapple" Jackson, Pineapple's memoirs.  What an upbeat person he was! 

Had the pleasure to meet him a few times, and agree, an upbeat person!  Pineapple was a joy on the 1996 Sons of the Desert Convention Cruise.  Always with his ukulele, and strumming for his shipmates.

Offline Signor Spumoni

It's great to know that he was in person as he comes across in his book.  I'm guessing you collect autographs, so you must be pleased to have Pineapple's. 

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yes, the book is published by Bear Manor Media and is available unabridged in the hard back edition and abridged in the soft back edition.  I don't know the details of the unabridged version, but I've heard that the abridged version is only about 40 pages in length.  Amazon's reviews of the abridged version are mixed -- from very good to very bad.  The book is co-authored by David Menafee, who I seem to recall has a website or blog.  If I can find any additional information on the book (like the differences between the unabridged and abridged versions), I'll share it with you here.

Thank you, HH, for telling me about this.  I had a vague recollection of hearing there was such as book.  Thank you in advance if you find any information to share.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I wouldn't think so, except I'm not positive. One of the real tragedies of Our Gang was Froggy Laughlin. He was one of the only things that made the MGM shorts worth watching, except he didn't live too long...  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I'm afraid I know nothing about Froggy.  I recall that his voice unnerved me when I was a child watching the Gang on TV.  I once read a story that he phoned some little girl who was his age.  When he asked to speak with her, the parent who answered assumed he was a dirty old man, owing to his voice, and hung up.  Poor fellow.

I'm afraid I know nothing about Froggy.  I recall that his voice unnerved me when I was a child watching the Gang on TV.  I once read a story that he phoned some little girl who was his age.  When he asked to speak with her, the parent who answered assumed he was a dirty old man, owing to his voice, and hung up.  Poor fellow.
Don't know if that story is true, because he used the voice as a trick voice. Froggy sadly died in a motor scooter accident at the age of 16.. He also had crossed eyes, & I don't know if that's why he crashed

Offline hiramhorwitz

Thank you in advance if you find any information to share.

I haven't been able to dig up details, but the hardbound edition of "Otay" contains 160 pages in contrast to the softbound edition that contains 100 pages.  Of the 100 pages in the softbound version, about half are photos and about half are text.  What I'd really like to know is if the additional 60 pages in the hardbound edition contain mainly additional text, mainly additional pictures, or an equal combination of both.  I'll keep digging and let you know if I find the answer.  Otay?

I think the last 60 pages are probably a combination of text and pictures.

Don't know if this would be a help to you, Signor Spumoni, except I found an audiobook of " Otay! The Billie Buckwheat Thomas Story" by Buckwheat's son on audible.com.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thanks, fellas, you've been wonderful!  If I could, I'd send each of you a nice, big cake that goes, "weeeep, WOW!" to thank you.  :)

I plan to request the book via interlibrary loan tomorrow when I can phone.  Too bad the online request page is down or I could have done it yesterday.  Anyway, both of you have been so helpful, and I appreciate it very much.

S_I_A78, I have no idea if that Froggy story I related is true.  It was presented as a true story.  I've been amazed to see how many "facts" I read years ago are now said to be just rumors, lies, or misconceptions.  It could be that some of them were just publicity stunts, too.

The Froggy story was a publicity stunt, I bet..

Offline Signor Spumoni

The Froggy story was a publicity stunt, I bet..

I wouldn't be surprised.  It's silly, but what opened my eyes to publicity stunts was "I Love Lucy."  Ricky's agent used to set those up often, plus there's the one where Lucy and Ethel are women from Mars.

Alan Young, in his memoirs, tells about an impressive publicity stunt he saw at a nightclub in LA.  Can't remember which nightclub.  But it illustrated the lengths agents went to then, and probably still go to now.

Ah, well, that's show biz! Have any of you seen Our Gang's The pinch Singer? It s so cute when Buckwhet & Porky are whispering in each other's ears!

I can't get the video-thing says clip not found.
Yeah, that seemed to happen for some weird reason..

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yeah, that seemed to happen for some weird reason..

Do you use the hyperlink icon when you post links?  If not, that might be it.

Do you use the hyperlink icon when you post links?  If not, that might be it.
I think I do.. But, back on topic.

Wasn't it Porky Lee who uttered "O-tay" first?
Yes, it was. However, more people commonly attribute the phrase to Buckwheat Thomas because of Eddie Murphy's SNL sketches involving Buckwheat where he always said "O-tay" in the sketches. Porky and Buckwheat both had speech impediments, and, like their screen characters, they were best friends.
 Don't know if anybody heard this story yet: Dickie Moore and Stymie Beard were both best friends. One night, there was an Our Gang reunion and Dickie and Stymie were very happy to see each other ( tears rolling down each other's faces), and said, " We should catch up with each other more often!" However, in a matter of weeks, Stymie was dead. I think I recall Dickie telling the story on an interview.

Also, do any of you know which Our Gang movies Buckwheat was featured in the most? ( I know that Feed 'Em and Weep is definitely one of them, though  ;))

More and more as he got older, I'd guess.  I seem to remember him quite heavily featured in the MGMs, along with Porky, neither of whom , IIRC, had speech problems by then.  Let's remember that in the "Otay" period they were hardly more than toddlers.  I have, I must admit, seen very few of the MGMs, so I might be dreaming.  See if I'm awake.

More and more as he got older, I'd guess.  I seem to remember him quite heavily featured in the MGMs, along with Porky, neither of whom , IIRC, had speech problems by then.  Let's remember that in the "Otay" period they were hardly more than toddlers.  I have, I must admit, seen very few of the MGMs, so I might be dreaming.  See if I'm awake.
Hmm.. I'm going to have a celebration for what would've been Buckwheat's birthday on the 12th. However, I don't have the MGM's.. I do have a few of them ( about 10) on MGM, and it was mainly just Robert Blake, Spanky, and Alfalfa featured just dealing with their family problems or teaching lame life lessons.

And, a propos of nothing, even though it's heartwarming to know that Porky and Buckwheat were best friends, as were    ( I now know, thank you very much ) Dickie and Stymie,  It's kind of cool to know that Spanky and Alfalfa, or at least their families, or manager/families, whatever, were edgy with each other.  The two little kids had such onscreen magic that at this date it would be gooey and boring to know they had been kissy-kissy off camera.  Let's face it: when those two were onscreen at their peak, little else mattered, even Darla.  Sad that their later lives were kind of crappy, and of course in Mr Switzer's case, downright awful,  but I like the soap-opera quality of their peak years.