Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

More Trivia

Offline Squirrelbait

Question one:

How many of the 190 Columbia shorts have been colorized (by Sony or otherwise)?
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline metaldams

Question one:

How many of the 190 Columbia shorts have been colorized (by Sony or otherwise)?

Too many.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Too many.
Hmm.. I agree. That's what's wrong with the classics: They colorize them!!!!! One good reason they do it is to get people to actually watch the movies!! Seriously, I was watching a Laurel and Hardy movie with my friend's daughters, and they said, " Oh, I don't like black and white movies," and went upstairs. There's a few good things that come out of colorization, except one of the beauties of the old-time classics is the fact that you are left to guess what color outfit some of the people are wearing and such things like that. It was kind of like a game, when I was younger and used to watch black-and white movies.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Signor Spumoni

Hmm.. I agree. That's what's wrong with the classics: They colorize them!!!!! One good reason they do it is to get people to actually watch the movies!! Seriously, I was watching a Laurel and Hardy movie with my friend's daughters, and they said, " Oh, I don't like black and white movies," and went upstairs. There's a few good things that come out of colorization, except one of the beauties of the old-time classics is the fact that you are left to guess what color outfit some of the people are wearing and such things like that. It was kind of like a game, when I was younger and used to watch black-and white movies.

My sister was like that, wouldn't watch anything in black and white.  I suspect it has to do with her being a lot younger than I, so not having known anything but color TV and movies.  I don't know if she's still that way, although I know she made an exception for "Young Frankenstein," which she enjoyed.

I saw some photos of "I Love Lucy" which were supposed to be real color photos, not colorized.  However, they had those telltale signs of colorization such as how Ethel's eyes, blouse and earrings were all exactly the same color.  So I have my doubts.  I also saw a picture of the (TV) "The Addams Family" set, in color.  The dominant color was orange, with gold and pink coming in close behind.  The elephant foot umbrella stand looked corny and fake in color compared to black and white.  I think the colors I imagined in b&w movies and TV were probably nothing like what they were considering they had to be in the colors which photographed well instead of colors which looked good.

To your point about getting people to watch things, I saw a cartoon version of Lucille Ball's radio show, "My Favorite Husband."  Animators provided the visuals to go along with the existing radio soundtrack.  The idea is to attract young folks who would never just sit and listen but who would watch cartoons. 

Offline Squirrelbait

Ooooh, great guess but you were off by one!

There have been 20:

Punch Drunks
Men In Black
Playing The Ponies
The Sitter Downers
(Goofs On The Loose DVD - Columbia)

Violent Is The Word For Curly
You Nazty Spy!
No Census, No Feeling
An Ache In Every Stake
(Stooged & Confoosed DVD - Columbia)

Pop Goes The Easel
Disorder In The Court
Dizzy Doctors
Calling All Curs
(Stooges On The Run DVD - Columbia)

I'll Never Heil Again
Beer Barrel Polecats
Brideless Groom
Dopey Dicks
(Hapless Half-Wits DVD - Columbia)

Hoi Polloi was in color as a bonus feature on the DVD release of "Breakin' All The Rules"
Sing A Song Of Six Pants and Malice In The Palace have been colorized and released a bunch of times along with the other 2 previously mentioned Public Domain Shorts
and
Heavenly Daze, as part of the "Three Stooges Extreme Rarities" DVD released by Legend Films.
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline mlc3stooge

I have never seen the Hoi Polloi one.  That's the one I missed.

Offline Squirrelbait

I have never seen the Hoi Polloi one.  That's the one I missed.

Good job nonetheless!

Offline archiezappa

An interesting subject.  I've went back and forth on this one.  At one time, I had most of the colorized shorts on DVD, but I decided to trade them off.  I guess I prefer the original black and white versions.  Although they are interesting, they don't look right.  There's just too many problems.  And, the fact remains that they don't need to be colorized.  It's the Three Stooges and you either love them or hate them. 

Offline Squirrelbait

An interesting subject.  I've went back and forth on this one.  At one time, I had most of the colorized shorts on DVD, but I decided to trade them off.  I guess I prefer the original black and white versions.  Although they are interesting, they don't look right.  There's just too many problems.  And, the fact remains that they don't need to be colorized.  It's the Three Stooges and you either love them or hate them.

Yeah, I found it interesting when they first came out, especially with the 'Funnier In Color' marketing campaign, and while I still have these DVDs, I really don't find myself watching them that often. It's interesting to see once, though.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Yeah, I found it interesting when they first came out, especially with the 'Funnier In Color' marketing campaign, and while I still have these DVDs, I really don't find myself watching them that often. It's interesting to see once, though.
Yes, I totally agree. While they definitely aren't the most interesting things in the world, they are nice to watch just a few times because trying to colorize the classics just doesn't seem to work out for me.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline metaldams

Here's a trivia question.

Name the first four Shemp Stooge shorts to be filmed and in what order.  Hint: Not necessarily the same as order released.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

No takers?

Hint: The answer can be researched on threestooges.net, and bigger hint, will be discussed soon anyway.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

No takers?

Hint: The answer can be researched on threestooges.net, and bigger hint, will be discussed soon anyway.

I had thought of researching this a couple days ago, but I chose not to because I felt I would be cheating. But if you insist, the first four were:
Fright Night (06/05/1946-06/08/1946)
Out West (07/08/1946-07/11/1946)
Squareheads Of The Round Table (12/09/1946-12/12/1946)
The Hot Scots (12/16/1946-12/19/1946)

After seeing Squareheads and The Hot Scots being filmed so early, I was a little surprised that Fiddlers Three was filmed so much later(05/26/1947-05/29/1947) considering that they all used the same castle from the "Bandit Of Sherwood Forest" feature.

Offline metaldams

I had thought of researching this a couple days ago, but I chose not to because I felt I would be cheating. But if you insist, the first four were:
Fright Night (06/05/1946-06/08/1946)
Out West (07/08/1946-07/11/1946)
Squareheads Of The Round Table (12/09/1946-12/12/1946)
The Hot Scots (12/16/1946-12/19/1946)

After seeing Squareheads and The Hot Scots being filmed so early, I was a little surprised that Fiddlers Three was filmed so much later(05/26/1947-05/29/1947) considering that they all used the same castle from the "Bandit Of Sherwood Forest" feature.

Correct!  Until recently, I had no clue SQUAREHEADS OF THE ROUNDTABLE and HOT SCOTS were the third and fourth filmed Shemp short!  This means the first four filmed Shemp shorts were all directed by Edward Bernds as well.  I have my theory as to why these films were delayed in release, which I'll discuss soon enough.  But yeah, interesting tidbit there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
    Correct!  Until recently, I had no clue SQUAREHEADS OF THE ROUNDTABLE and HOT SCOTS were the third and fourth filmed Shemp short!  This means the first four filmed Shemp shorts were all directed by Edward Bernds as well.  I have my theory as to why these films were delayed in release, which I'll discuss soon enough.  But yeah, interesting tidbit there.

Follow-up...
    • THE HOT SCOTS' Final Draft shooting script is dated Nov. 27, 1946, consistent with what we've found in Jules White's files, i.e., Final Drafts generally precede production dates by one-to-three weeks; also, Stoogeum files contain Carter DeHaven Jr.'s Asst. Director call sheet, specifying 12/16 - 12/19 as the production dates.
    • Likewise, SQUAREHEAD's Final Draft shooting script in White's files is dated Nov. 29, 1946; DeHaven's call sheet specifies 12/9 - 12/12 as filming dates.
    [/list]

Offline metaldams

Follow-up...
      • THE HOT SCOTS' Final Draft shooting script is dated Nov. 27, 1946, consistent with what we've found in Jules White's files, i.e., Final Drafts generally precede production dates by one-to-three weeks; also, Stoogeum files contain Carter DeHaven Jr.'s Asst. Director call sheet, specifying 12/16 - 12/19 as the production dates.
      • Likewise, SQUAREHEAD's Final Draft shooting script in White's files is dated Nov. 29, 1946; DeHaven's call sheet specifies 12/9 - 12/12 as filming dates.

The work you and the others do is much appreciated.
    - Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

The work you and the others do is much appreciated.

Amen to that. Keep up the good work!

Offline Squirrelbait

And while we're on the subject of trivia questions, name the five longest Columbia Stooge shorts and put them in order.
    And as always, the first to do so will win.......uh, bragging rights...

Good luck!

Offline MR77100

It surprised me that SHOTRT and HOT SCOTS were filmed in 1946, but not released until two years later. Does anyone know the reason for this?