Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Room Service (1938) The Marx Brothers

Offline metaldams

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030696/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Now here's an unusual Marx Brothers comedy for a few reasons.  The first reason this is unusual is because it is the only Marx Brothers film done at RKO studios.  Like stated in last week's review, Irving Thalberg, the MGM executive who championed The Marx Brothers, died two weeks into the filming of A DAY AT THE RACES.  This left Louis B. Mayer as the sole head of MGM.  The brothers did not get along with Mayer personally and Mayer did not like the Marx Brothers comedy, making an uncomfortable atmosphere.  Secondly, there was a hot play at the time called ROOM SERVICE that studios were bidding for.  RKO won the rights to the play, bidding $250,000.  Then, through negotiations with Zeppo as manager, an additional $250,000 was bid for the services of The Marx Brothers by RKO.  The MGM contract and still working for the hostile Louis B. Mayer remains in effect, but not for this one film.  Being based on a play, this is also the only Marx Brothers movie with characters not written specifically for the brothers, minus a variation or a Harpo gag or two.  Morris Ryskind was brought in to adapt this to the Marx Brothers as much as he can, but again, the characters are basically still overall faithful to the play.

With all that out of the way, not being written specifically written for The Marx Brothers, this does not make a great Marx Brothers movie.  Groucho and Chico do a fine job in their respective roles, but one can't help to think just about any comic actor worth his salt could have stepped in and played the same role.  Think about it, who's to say William Powell could not have done the Groucho role or Ted Healy the Chico role?   You can't say that for any other Marx Brothers film.  Harpo isn't given that much to do, but he's great with what he has.  My favorite bit is when he has to play sick in bed and squeeze the toy doll to get a sound out of his mouth when being examined by the doctor.  A great gag obviously written around the idea Harpo can't speak.

While not a great Marx Brothers movie, ROOM SERVICE is a very enjoyable thirties screwball comedy.  It's very stage bound, but that's fine in this case, because the plot moves forward at a very brisk pace and steadily builds up.  Things start out slow and the tension builds towards the end.  Like most great screwball comedies, ROOM SERVICE, has all of these fun little side characters.  There is the Russian waiter who hams it up wanting to be an actor, there's the befuddled man who comes to endorse the check for the play, there's the doctor who gets tied up after being called a quack, there's the man from the collection agency who makes sporadic appearances trying to get the $42 on the typewriter, fun little side characters like this who make these movies a lot of fun.  Donald MacBride is absolutely fantastic as the quick tempered hotel manager, possibly the best role in the film, which backs up my point that this is a stronger comedy than Marx Brothers film.  Frank Albertson is also fun to watch as the naive playwright who has to grow up real fast.  The two ladies are Ann Miller and Lucille Ball, of all people.  Both, sadly, aren't given much to do knowing what both are capable of, especially the latter.  That said, they both carry themselves well with what they are given, and guys anyone want to take a crack at how old Ann Miller was when this was filmed?  The answer is 15.  She lied about her age, and just goes to show, guys, be careful.  She looks much older than 15, and carries herself very maturely as well.

Also want to add the brief point that there are no non-comic romance scenes, and no non-comic musical numbers.  This is a pure comedy like so many here want, yet the comedy is not of a Marxian flavor.

A fun movie overall, and my overall rating is a reflection on the overall quality of the film as a comedy, not a Marx vehicle. 

8/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

Since there was little to no musical numbers (not even a piano or harp solo from Chico and Harpo), I wish I could say that I like this movie a lot, but I regret to say that this is one of their weaker movies. The whole faking sick bit, starving in the hotel and the faking death bit was a kinda depressing to watch for a comedy movie. And Lucille Ball (who is supposedly credited right after the Marx Bros) has a very small role, almost to the point of being a useless character. And Harpo is given very little to do here, which is rather surprising.

There are a few funny bits here, but nothing memorable and this is not the kind of movie I find myself watching too often. It's just not all that funny. It's rather dull and lifeless.

6.5/10

Offline metaldams

Since there was little to no musical numbers (not even a piano or harp solo from Chico and Harpo), I wish I could say that I like this movie a lot, but I regret to say that this is one of their weaker movies. The whole faking sick bit, starving in the hotel and the faking death bit was a kinda depressing to watch for a comedy movie. And Lucille Ball (who is supposedly credited right after the Marx Bros) has a very small role, almost to the point of being a useless character. And Harpo is given very little to do here, which is rather surprising.

There are a few funny bits here, but nothing memorable and this is not the kind of movie I find myself watching too often. It's just not all that funny. It's rather dull and lifeless.

6.5/10

I never found any of this depressing.  The fake death stuff is obviously faked as we know no one is seriously ill, therefore, I'm not remotely depressed watching it.  Also, the starvation stuff wasn't that over the top to me, but then again, I like Charlie Chaplin.

Kind of funny, but this movie is so unusual that I almost feel like I had a break for one week reviewing The Marx Brothers.  I sometimes accidentally think of AT THE CIRCUS being the follow up to A DAY AT THE RACES, this film seems so non-Marxian.  It's just a fun 30's studio system comedy to me.
- Doug Sarnecky

I've regretted in print that I've never seen a stooge comedy in a real theater, but oddly enough, I've seen almost all of the Marx Brothers films in chronological order in a large theater with a full house for every one.  This was in college, they had two weeks worth of Marx movies, not Animal Crackers, of course, which was in copyright limbo at the time, and somehow I missed Love Happy.  I specifically remember that after a week of nightly hilarity, boffos from the audience every night, Room Service got nothing.  Flat as a flounder.  The films bounced back fairly well after that ( I remember that A Night in Casablanca was a real surprise, big, big laughs ) but Room Service was unmistakeably the nadir.  And "jumping butterballs" got real old real fast.

Offline metaldams

I've regretted in print that I've never seen a stooge comedy in a real theater, but oddly enough, I've seen almost all of the Marx Brothers films in chronological order in a large theater with a full house for every one.  This was in college, they had two weeks worth of Marx movies, not Animal Crackers, of course, which was in copyright limbo at the time, and somehow I missed Love Happy.  I specifically remember that after a week of nightly hilarity, boffos from the audience every night, Room Service got nothing.  Flat as a flounder.  The films bounced back fairly well after that ( I remember that A Night in Casablanca was a real surprise, big, big laughs ) but Room Service was unmistakeably the nadir.  And "jumping butterballs" got real old real fast.

Interesting story, and I'm not surprised by the reaction.  Most people I'm assuming went in expecting typical Marx style comedy and instead got a restrained Groucho and Chico.  The same way I stated A NIGHT AT THE OPERA is the best movie The Marx Brothers appeared in but not the best Marx Brothers movie, I will also state ROOM SERVICE, with the possible exception of LOVE HAPPY, is the worst Marx Brothers movie, but not the worst movie they ever appeared in.  One has to develop a taste for 30's studio system comedy in order to appreciate ROOM SERVICE, and those folks, like me, are an oddity.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

I never found any of this depressing.  The fake death stuff is obviously faked as we know no one is seriously ill, therefore, I'm not remotely depressed watching it.  Also, the starvation stuff wasn't that over the top to me, but then again, I like Charlie Chaplin.

Kind of funny, but this movie is so unusual that I almost feel like I had a break for one week reviewing The Marx Brothers.  I sometimes accidentally think of AT THE CIRCUS being the follow up to A DAY AT THE RACES, this film seems so non-Marxian.  It's just a fun 30's studio system comedy to me.

You bring up good points there. It's very hard to describe why I don't care for this film. I guess the type of humor in this film doesn't tickle my fancy for some strange reason.

I believe I read, maybe a year ago, about a revival, maybe not on Broadway, but in some fairly prestigious venue, of the original Broadway play Room Service, in other words, not the movie rewrite.  It is apparently  still a riot, quite a bit bawdier and more profane than the sanitized Marx version.  Not that more profanity ( meaning in this case no more than the occasional "goddammit" ) makes anything funnier, necessarily, it's just that the original is just much funnier than the rewrite, which should surprise nobody.

Offline Kiner_9

Ooh! This seems to be an interesting movie. I can add it to my watch list. I am watching shows by Andy Yeatman with my kids right now and therefore, I don’t get time to watch such movies and shows. Anyways, I am grateful to you for sharing this post.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Except for a few priceless moments, this hectic farce never gels. Groucho, Harpo and Chico are shackled by William A. Seiter's lethargic direction and a mostly incompatible supporting cast (Alexander Asro and Philip Loeb fare best). The reliable presence of Margaret Dumont is sorely missed. "Room Service" should be viewed as a well-intentioned but unsuccessful experiment.

6/10

Offline dirwuf

It should be pointed out that when the Marxes first agreed to film this, and well into pre-production, they were going to do it without their normal costumes and makeup. In retrospect, that would have been the smart choice as it would have sent the message to people to not expect a typical Marx comedy.

Offline metaldams

It should be pointed out that when the Marxes first agreed to film this, and well into pre-production, they were going to do it without their normal costumes and makeup. In retrospect, that would have been the smart choice as it would have sent the message to people to not expect a typical Marx comedy.

That would have been similar to The Three Stooges in those Besser shorts when Moe and Larry wore their real life hair styles.  In Harpo’s case, his lack of speech was such a big part of his public persona that even without the wig and coat, it would be harder to convince.  Groucho and Chico were a different story.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This is a movie I liked and found enjoyable, but could understand why other people would have a problem with it. It certainly is the least fitting Marx Brothers movie (because it wasn't originally written for them) and feels like it could be anybody's movie. It features one of my favorites: Lucille Ball, although this was before she was playing her clown-like roles. This is fun movie, although it is very stagey and they could made it more film-like with its production. It seems that with Robert Woolsey dying RKO were wanting to pick up another comedy team, first they had the Marx Brothers and then next year Laurel and Hardy. Of course the irony is that The Flying Deuces is the one with a harp solo.

I'll be honest, I feel bad for Frank Albertson being put into the romantic spot with Ann Miller, who was only 15. I can't tell you how embarrassed and disgusted I would be if I was put into love scenes in a movie and later found out that my co-star who I did those scenes with was underage.

Offline NoahYoung

Except for LOVE HAPPY, this is the Marx Brothers movie I have seen the least number of times. It was the last of the 13 that I saw, and not until a screening in college. (I started watching them as far back as I can remember.) I have seen it perhaps 3 times since, and I have always enjoyed it.

It is very plot driven, and claustrophobic, but nobody delivers a line of dialog like Groucho, so I still laugh. I miss the piano and harp solos, but it is nice to have a change of pace every once in awhile. The 3 films after this one followed a formula. You could expect a Harpo harp solo, a Chico piano solo, Chico outwitting Groucho, a sappy romantic couple, a few non-Marx musical numbers, a Chico-Harpo translation scene, and a big slapstick finale. I wish this were made a bit later in their career, since they were still in their prime here, and it does seem to be a shame that with their still-existing energy that they couldn't have made a more energetic film.

So I take it for what it is -- a funny film that has the bonus of having the Brothers Marx i[sic] in it. Just because it isn't a typical Marx film does not make it a bad film.

BTW, it is kind of sad that we only have 13 films to watch -- really 12 since LOVE HAPPY was made so long after their prime, after a several-year hiatus, and was really a Harpo-Chico movie with Groucho kinda tacked on. They never released more than one film in a given year, and there were no releases in 1934 or 1936. Imagine having 2 more film with them, made in those years?

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

Speaking of LOVE HAPPY, reading all your reviews inspired me to order it on blu ray. I only have it on VHS and my VCR no longer functions.  Would be nice to have a viewable copy again.

You’re right about it a shame only being 13 Marx Brothers movies.  Groucho made a few solo vehicles which I have not seen yet.  I wonder if they’re any good, but I may watch and review them for this site someday.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

I saw COPACABANA many, many years ago as a kid. Don't remember much -- if anything.

I've seen DOUBLE DYNAMITE twice in the last 5 years on TCM. It's a fun movie, but nothing particularly outstanding. You won't be ROTFL. Being a Sinatra fan, I was intrigued by watching this. Believe it or not, Sinatra and Groucho are a team, and even sing a song together. You also have Jane Russell for eye-candy. That's supposedly the inspiration for the film's title!  >:D
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Chico made this comment in a 1948 Erskine Johnson column: " 'Love Happy' is really our 12th picture. We don't count 'Room Service' as a picture."

Offline metaldams

Chico made this comment in a 1948 Erskine Johnson column: " 'Love Happy' is really our 12th picture. We don't count 'Room Service' as a picture."

But he counts Love Happy? I mean, I like both films and he had to promote the latest product, but really, that comment didn’t age well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

But he counts Love Happy? I mean, I like both films and he had to promote the latest product, but really, that comment didn’t age well.
I wonder whether Chico might have retracted that comment before his death in 1961?

CHEERS! :)