Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Horse Feathers (1932) The Marx Brothers

metaldams · 24 · 10958

Offline metaldams

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023027/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

We fortunately have another classic on our hands.  Notice the way these Paramount films are getting shorter?  This one is only 68 minutes and DUCK SOUP is even shorter than this.  I know this was in the days of double features, but I miss these short, snappy, and to the point films.  These days, it's as if everything has to be blockbuster length, so this a breath of fresh air. 

Let's start the meat of the film for what we all came here for...Zeppo.  You mean that ain't the main attraction?  Well, we'll discuss him anyway because his lack of involvement fascinates me strangely enough, and he's got one more film until he's done as a part of the team.  This is basically his second biggest role even though it's still not that big.  He gets to play straight man to Groucho a few times and has one song for the "college widow" played by Thelma Todd.  What the heck is a college widow anyway?  Is that some outdated expression flying over my head?  Anyway, the song and scene are pleasant enough, and he doesn't come across as overly cloying like future leading men.  I'll say it again, some of these later MGM films would have been better off with a half serious Zeppo as a leading man.  Oh, and the song itself gets sung to Ms. Todd, or played in Harpo's case, by all of the brothers in their own unique way.  They all take their respective instruments, Groucho even gets the guitar, and do a fine job.  It's great seeing each brother get their spot.  By the way, as a musician, I'm again very impressed by Harpo's work.

Like the next film, there is just enough of a plot to hold this together, but not to the point where it interferes with what this film truly is, a barrage of one liners, back and forth banter, and physical comedy routines.  I'll just shoot off some favorites.  The swordfish password scene is an all time favorite of mine, and in real life when ever somebody jokes about a password, I use swordfish, usually to confused faces.  A shame, the humanoids don't know what they're missing by not watching these films.  Love the way Chico just gives it away stupidly and both he and Groucho both lock themselves out, only for Harpo, the great prop man, to get in by taking out a big fish and jamming a sword down its throat!

What else? Oh yeah, Harpo's dog catcher scene out in the street is always good for laughs, and being a strictly Harpo scene, it actually is the kind of comic sequence that would work in a silent comedy.  Could not imagine Groucho or Chico doing silent comedy, and it boggles my mind the brothers supposedly made one in 1921, now a lost film.  I also love the scene with Groucho and Thelma Todd in the boat.  Thelma Todd's baby talk to Groucho and his justifiable abhorrent response is comic gold, and the Life Saver bit is pretty memorable.  Product placement like that is more common in films these days.  Also, worth mentioning this will be Ms. Todd's last film with the brothers.  Since I plan on discussing other comedians of the early thirties in the future, she'll show up again in our discussions several times.  Her life may have been tragically cut short, but she left behind a great body of work.

The Harpo book burning scene to me is one of the craziest images in a Marx Brothers film.  When people say these Paramount films are anarchic, that is the image that pops into my mind.  Love the "seal of approval" at the end of that scene as well, imagine having to carry that thing on the set.  The classroom scene is great, love Groucho trying to get the young college girl after class, the burning the candles at both end prop, and the sad look on Harpo's face when he gets caught putting up that strange girlie poster on the wall.  The football scene at the end is great for many laughs too, my favorite bits being Groucho's sideline tackle and Harpo joyously throwing banana peels on the ground.  Another bit I love is Chico, in the scene where they all run in and out of the room with Thelma Todd, grabs Ms. Todd and makes love to her in some strange Italian.  Oh an interestingly enough, the final gag when all three brothers fight to marry Thelma Todd....no Zeppo!

A great movie all the way, and next week we discuss DUCK SOUP!  Joyous to the Maximus.

10/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.....and my God, I go a whole review and don't even mention the wonderful "I'm Against It" musical number that opens things.  Just goes to show what an embarrassment of riches are packed in these 68 minutes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Embarrassment of Riches is exactly right.  This is in my Marx top five, and, I think, miles ahead of everything that has come before, if for no other reason than the advance in filming technique: this is the first one that looks like a modern movie.  Not to mention that it's a riot and the music is wonderful.  I think that " college widow", though I've never heard the term anywhere else but here, either, is a censor-avoiding euphemism for a local girl of easy virtue, like Merry Widow or Town Pump.  Groucho was a good amateur guitar player in real life, and may be actually playing in this scene, though, like Larry and his violin, I'm guessing that union rules dictated that a professional guitarist be the player. And I am indeed guessing, maybe Rich Finnegan would have some informed opinion here.
     Zeppo, a very smart man, was correct in his opinion of his own acting.  The finest movie actors act with their eyes - Zeppo acts with his chin, literally leads with his chin.  The subtext of his performance seems always to be: "I'm petrified".

Offline metaldams

Embarrassment of Riches is exactly right.  This is in my Marx top five, and, I think, miles ahead of everything that has come before, if for no other reason than the advance in filming technique: this is the first one that looks like a modern movie.  Not to mention that it's a riot and the music is wonderful.  I think that " college widow", though I've never heard the term anywhere else but here, either, is a censor-avoiding euphemism for a local girl of easy virtue, like Merry Widow or Town Pump.  Groucho was a good amateur guitar player in real life, and may be actually playing in this scene, though, like Larry and his violin, I'm guessing that union rules dictated that a professional guitarist be the player. And I am indeed guessing, maybe Rich Finnegan would have some informed opinion here.
     Zeppo, a very smart man, was correct in his opinion of his own acting.  The finest movie actors act with their eyes - Zeppo acts with his chin, literally leads with his chin.  The subtext of his performance seems always to be: "I'm petrified".

There are no extreme close ups of Groucho's fingers to say for sure, but based on what I can see, it does look like he's really playing.  As far as a union musician playing, if that were the case, I'd imagine the same rules would apply to Harpo and Chico.  Now I don't know the definitive answer, but I'll just say if indeed there are ghost musicians involved, Harpo and Chico are the world's greatest mimes.  I have seen movies where it's obvious the actor can't play the instrument they're supposed to play, but I don't get that impression here.

Your college widow thoughts make perfect sense, and next week I will be staring at Zeppo's chin.  Great anecdote!
- Doug Sarnecky

Good point about Harpo and Chico, I hadn't thought it out to that degree.  They're obviously playing their own instuments, although I do think Chico is getting ghosted in Love Happy: that's a whole lotta piano playing right there.  But that's a question for the future.  Perhaps the union had a rule if a guy could play an instrument in a specialty act:  Freddie Sanborn was another one.  As I said, I'm just guessing at this,  I may be full of baloney, but I do know that the unions were much stronger back then, especially in Hollywood.

Offline Larrys#1

Before I get to my review, I have to admit that this is my first time hearing about Thelma Todd's early death. After reading Metaldams' review, I quickly did a little biography research and she died at 29. That is really sad to hear about. Also... another thing I'd like to note.... there are rumors going around that this movie is actually supposed to be longer than DUCK SOUP, but due to edits and print damages, the movie was cut down by a few minutes. Sadly there is no known unedited print that exists. But you never know.... look what happened to HELLO POP. So, I'm never giving up hope.

Now onto my review....

While this film is great. For a 67 minute film, it seems to have quite a bit of musical number. For a movie this short, I shouldn't be seeing this much filler. The only musical number that was fun to watch was the "I'm Against It" bit, but all those "Everyone says I Love You" bits were not needed, especially Zeppo's part. Aside for that complaint, this is a very enjoyable film to watch. Groucho's beginning scene where he talks to the students was funny, so was the Swordfish gag, the classroom scene, the scene at Ms. Bailey's apartment, Chico and Harpo kidnapping the football players, and the football game. Ironically, this film seems to be much worse shape than the previous two films. I don't know why....perhaps, it wasn't well taken care of.

Overall, a fantastic film, but the musical numbers does keep me from giving it a perfect score.

9.5/10

Offline Signor Spumoni

This is another winner. I love Groucho's dancing during his number, "I'm Against it," like his dancing in "Animal Crackers.'  I also enjoy the other musical numbers.  So far as I recall Groucho really played guitar as a hobby, so I always assumed it was he playing in this movie.  I like the way the lyrics to "Everyone Says I love You" are tailored to each brother.  Perhaps the music is not filler, as Larrys#1 called it, but is there due to public response to earlier Marx Brothers movies.
I must confess I'm never interested in romance, so those aspects of any movie usually bore me, but I can tolerate it in a Marx Brothers movie. 
I like Groucho's line, "Miss, would you please get up so I can see the son rise?" when he sees a coed sitting on Zeppo's lap.  I also like Groucho when he and Thelma Todd are on the lake ("Oh, Professor, you're so full of whimsy!"  "Really?  You can tell from there?  That always happened when I eat radishes.")  His imitation of her baby talk are so funny, too.
Metaldams, perhaps you meant "anarchic" when you say that people call these Paramount films archaic?
I enjoy Harpo's scenes as a dogcatcher.
I truly enjoy the password scene.  When asked to choose a password nowadays, "swordfish" is always the first thing that comes to mind.
I never noticed anything about Zeppo's chin, but I'll watch that carefully, now.  Interesting, Big Chief.
I never gave much thought to what "college widow" meant; I assumed it was just a gag for the movie.  My sister was a little girl when she saw this movie, and that term made an impression on her.  When I was at university, she asked if I'd met the college widow yet.  :)

Offline Seamus

The classroom scene in HORSEFEATHERS was my first exposure to the Marx Brothers.  I was hooked immediately and devoured most of the rest of their movies in short order (although it was years before I got around to watching their later MGMs).

"Petrified" is a good word to describe Zeppo's performances.  Most of the time he looks like an unwilling volunteer who got pulled out of the audience and thrust onto the stage with the professionals for a laugh.  The only scene that comes to mind where he seems relaxed as a performer is the brief front desk scene in COCOANUTS, when he's responding to Groucho's stream of nonsense with "Yes sir...alright...you bet I will...etc."

Also... another thing I'd like to note.... there are rumors going around that this movie is actually supposed to be longer than DUCK SOUP, but due to edits and print damages, the movie was cut down by a few minutes. Sadly there is no known unedited print that exists. But you never know.... look what happened to HELLO POP. So, I'm never giving up hope.

I read somewhere that, of all their movies, HORSEFEATHERS got got hacked up the most mercilessly by the censors when it was re-released after the Code went into effect.  Some of the cuts were pretty clumsy, which is why the scene in Thelma Todd's room with all the brothers running in and out and taking turns wooing her on the couch looks so jumpy in places (among other fun footage now lost to the ages, they cut out a shot of Harpo doing a headstand on Thelma Todd's lap).  As great as that scene is, thinking about how badly it was butchered by the morality police always dampens my enjoyment a little.

While this film is great. For a 67 minute film, it seems to have quite a bit of musical number. For a movie this short, I shouldn't be seeing this much filler. The only musical number that was fun to watch was the "I'm Against It" bit, but all those "Everyone says I Love You" bits were not needed, especially Zeppo's part.

I think all the musical bits in HORSEFEATHERS work great, since they're all musical comedy bits performed by the brothers (it's the gooey romantic numbers that invoke the fast-forward button).  Even Zeppo's straight-laced performance of "Everyone Says I Love You" is really a set-up for the other three brothers to give their twisted rendition of the same tune.

Oh an interestingly enough, the final gag when all three brothers fight to marry Thelma Todd....no Zeppo!

I always assumed the fourth man in top hat and tux standing beside Todd right before the other three pile on was meant to be Zeppo, but he must not have been around to film that final bit.  Hence his stand-in's strategic face-concealing placement behind Todd.

Offline metaldams

Before I get to my review, I have to admit that this is my first time hearing about Thelma Todd's early death. After reading Metaldams' review, I quickly did a little biography research and she died at 29. That is really sad to hear about. Also... another thing I'd like to note.... there are rumors going around that this movie is actually supposed to be longer than DUCK SOUP, but due to edits and print damages, the movie was cut down by a few minutes. Sadly there is no known unedited print that exists. But you never know.... look what happened to HELLO POP. So, I'm never giving up hope.

Now onto my review....

While this film is great. For a 67 minute film, it seems to have quite a bit of musical number. For a movie this short, I shouldn't be seeing this much filler. The only musical number that was fun to watch was the "I'm Against It" bit, but all those "Everyone says I Love You" bits were not needed, especially Zeppo's part. Aside for that complaint, this is a very enjoyable film to watch. Groucho's beginning scene where he talks to the students was funny, so was the Swordfish gag, the classroom scene, the scene at Ms. Bailey's apartment, Chico and Harpo kidnapping the football players, and the football game. Ironically, this film seems to be much worse shape than the previous two films. I don't know why....perhaps, it wasn't well taken care of.

Overall, a fantastic film, but the musical numbers does keep me from giving it a perfect score.

9.5/10

Yeah, Thelma Todd had one of those unnatural and mysterious deaths that ranks right up there with Ted Healy, I'm sad to say.  I'm not a murder mystery guy myself, but there's plenty of stuff I'm sure you can find on the web, and my understanding is there's debate over whether it was a homicide, suicide, or accident.  Creepy stuff.

I disagree about the musical scenes being filler.  The brothers themselves are supplying the music and in my mind, that's part of who they are.  My problem with the musical stuff usually stems from when it comes from milquetoast characters I could care less about.  By the way, if you don't like comedians doing musical numbers, avoid Wheeler and Woolsey at all costs.  Who knows, maybe I'll review their stuff someday.

Also, I did notice a weird edit or two in my print as well. That would be a shame if some footage is lost or in bad shape....and doing further research, it appears there is!  Grrrrr!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_Feathers#Missing_sequences
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Metaldams, perhaps you meant "anarchic" when you say that people call these Paramount films archaic?

Yes I did, Signor, good eye, and thank you!  Don't know if it was my automatic spell check thing that screws up words for me or if it's my mistake, but I'll fix it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

"Petrified" is a good word to describe Zeppo's performances.  Most of the time he looks like an unwilling volunteer who got pulled out of the audience and thrust onto the stage with the professionals for a laugh.  The only scene that comes to mind where he seems relaxed as a performer is the brief front desk scene in COCOANUTS, when he's responding to Groucho's stream of nonsense with "Yes sir...alright...you bet I will...etc."

This may be the best paragraph on Zeppo I've ever read.  Very well said.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

I disagree about the musical scenes being filler.  The brothers themselves are supplying the music and in my mind, that's part of who they are.  My problem with the musical stuff usually stems from when it comes from milquetoast characters I could care less about.  By the way, if you don't like comedians doing musical numbers, avoid Wheeler and Woolsey at all costs.  Who knows, maybe I'll review their stuff someday.

I kinda figured that my issue with the music would be controversial because many people I know actually appreciate the music in the Paramount films. Over the years, I sorta grown to accepting the music in HORSE FEATHERS, so it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I admit tho that when I first saw this movie for the first time a decade or so ago, I remember not liking this movie right away due to the amount of musical numbers. I shamefully admit to having fast forwarded through the musical numbers during my first time seeing it, even the "I'm Against It" number. Now, I'm ok with watching the movie entirely without skipping any part, so that's a good thing. But movies like THE BIG STORE, AT THE CIRCUS, and that ridiculously long musical bit in A DAY AT THE RACES, I just can't adapt to. I will get to more detail on that when we reach those films.

Offline Seamus

This may be the best paragraph on Zeppo I've ever read.  Very well said.

Considering the volumes of Zeppo Marx literature out there to compete with, this is high praise indeed!   ;)

I think Big Chief nailed it with his assessment of Mr. Zepplington's acting prowess.

Offline metaldams

Big Chief got the gist of it, but here's a good explanation of the term "college widow"...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CollegeWidow

Thanks for the link.  Here I was in college wasting my time with the same girl when there was probably some welcoming "widow" waiting to be found.  Oy vey!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Zeppo was so much younger than the others that he probably felt a little separate, if not estranged, from them.  He was eight years younger than his nearest brother, Gummo.  A psychologist friend once told me that six years between siblings is considered, effectively, a generation.  I believe Zeppo felt overwhelmed and maybe somewhat left out. 

I never knew what a college widow was till now.  Thank you, President WR.  That was interesting.

Offline Larrys#1

Big Chief got the gist of it, but here's a good explanation of the term "college widow"...

Call me stupid, but I always thought "college widow" was just what it said.... a widow in college....that is, a woman in college whose husband died. Never knew there was an innuendo behind it.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I just had to thank everyone for the discussion and definition of "college widow."  Because of this, I understood a joke I heard on OTR (old time radio) today when a character on "The Jack Benny Show" said he had to get going because he had a date with a college widow. 

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Do the Marx Brothers movies need to be restored? I guess there is a Blu-Ray, now and I haven't seen "The Coconuts," in a long time, but I remember some knocks on the old Paramount boxset. I see a few spots in this movie where it might need some touching up, but nothing to have a conniption about.

As for the actual movie, it could be the greatest of the Paramount wave of films. Swordfish, ice-men, Thelma Todd, and a great game of football. Nothing that will make me forget the Three Stooges destroying various sports, but the Marx boys are in a class by themselves; no need for too much comparison.

"Duck Soup," doesn't fail, either, but I'm sure we all know about the fallout after that movie came out. A little further, father. And, I almost forgot about Groucho's check for $15.22...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Do the Marx Brothers movies need to be restored? I guess there is a Blu-Ray, now and I haven't seen "The Coconuts," in a long time, but I remember some knocks on the old Paramount boxset. I see a few spots in this movie where it might need some touching up, but nothing to have a conniption about.

As for the actual movie, it could be the greatest of the Paramount wave of films. Swordfish, ice-men, Thelma Todd, and a great game of football. Nothing that will make me forget the Three Stooges destroying various sports, but the Marx boys are in a class by themselves; no need for too much comparison.

"Duck Soup," doesn't fail, either, but I'm sure we all know about the fallout after that movie came out. A little further, father. And, I almost forgot about Groucho's check for $15.22...

Sorry for the late reply.  I still have the DVD set so I can't comment on if the Blu-Ray is an improvement, (I'd check out Amazon reviews and other sites for that), but I do understand there's a couple extra minutes of footage in ANIMAL CRACKERS not found in previous collections, so the Blu-Ray is worth it for that alone.

That said, I find the DVD acceptable, but the restoration quality isn't as good as The Three Stooges DVD sets.  We're lucky Columbia took care of those shorts over the years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, I don't have everything for the Marx Brothers on DVD yet, just the singles for Horse Feathers and Duck Soup & those look great to my near-sighted eyes. I think the 4-pack of MGMs with Room Service and At the Circus was next on my "to do list" & I definitely haven't heard squawking about the MGM prints...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

For years, "Duck Soup" and "A Night at the Opera" have competed for the title of Best Marx Brothers Film. However, it is "Horse Feathers" that deserves the honor. Directed in appropriately ramshackle fashion by Norman Z. McLeod, this Depression-era satire features Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Zeppo at their musical-comedy zenith. In terms of pacing, "Horse Feathers" is the only Marxian effort that takes off from the starting gate and never lets up — no lengthy introductions, delayed entrances or disappointing climaxes. It's a fast and furious romp that should be viewed more than once, especially if you want to catch all of Groucho's classic dialogue.

10/10

Offline HomokHarcos

Horse Feathers is another very fun movie. The classroom scene highlights what I like best about the Paramount Marx Brothers: they are antiheroes that do whatever they want for the heck of it. Even at the end when they play football they are doing it for themselves more than for the school. Sort of like Stone Cold Steve Austin. Also Thelma Todd is more of a villain in this movie than in Monkey Business, and she is more like her character in Speak Easily. There are several great comic setpieces: the I'm Against It song, the swordfish scene, the classroom scene, the life saver scene, the scene in Thelma's room and the football game. Their last 3 Paramount movies are very good.