Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Monkey Business (1931) The Marx Brothers

Offline metaldams

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022158/?ref_=nv_sr_2

The third Marx Brothers film is their best film yet.  While the Paramount films are all billed "The Four Marx Brothers," MONKEY BUSINESS is the one film, more so than the others, where all four brothers, including Zeppo, are put to good use.  The previous two films were a bit stage bound with static camera movement, but this film, with a script written for Hollywood and not the stage, plus being made in 1931 when sound films were rapidly advancing as far as their quick pacing goes, is a much better moving film, taking full advantage of the large ocean liner the brothers are on.

The opening scene cuts right to the chase, literally.  All four brothers are stowaways on a ship and are hiding in barrels, only to be chased around the ship by the captain and his men.  Again, I say all four brothers.  The Marx Brothers in general don't usually all work together in scenes the way The The Three Stooges do, usually the comic scenes involve one brother or a combination of two.  In MONKEY BUSINESS, all four brothers are in the barrel scene, all four are involved in the chase, all four get their own interpretation on Maurice Chevalier (a huge star of Paramount's at the time), and all four brothers are put to use in the barnyard finale. 

Zeppo is given something to do as the romantic lead.  He is not, thankfully, the stereotypical romantic lead.  None of his scenes overstay their welcome, and he sings no distracting musical numbers.  He also gets a few comic bits, something the average male lead would never get in these films.  I'm referring to specifically him taking the handkerchief instead of giving it to his girl and him saying he'll never leave his girl, only to be whisked away seconds later.  Zeppo is not the talent of his other three brothers for sure, but MONKEY BUSINESS proves he could have been more useful to the team if the writers gave him more of a chance.  Imagine some of those later MGM's with a Zeppo like lead instead of what we actually got. 

I did not watch the Marx Brothers much as a kid, but the one scene I do have memories of as a child is ironically the one where Harpo plays to children, and that would be the puppet scene.  A truly classic bit of physical comedy where Harpo gets to make those great faces of his and work with future Stooge supporting player and Shemp partner Tom Kennedy.  Add Harpo's complete breakdown in the Maurice Chevalier scene where he's ravaging through those papers like a lunatic and his reactions while accompanying that opera singer on the harp and this would have to be one of my favorite Harpo films.

One thing this film does not have is Margaret Dumont.  Sounds bad so far, as she was very valuable to The Marx Brothers, but instead we go a different direction with Thelma Todd.  She is equally as effective as Maragret Dumont, but in a different way.  The differences are quite obvious.  Margaret Dumont was a woman in her 50's and while attractive in her own way, it was a different kind of attraction than a twenty something "Hot Toddy" Thelma Todd.  Ms. Dumont is somebody for Groucho to indulge his giggilo fantasies with, she's mature, worldly, and has money.  Ms. Todd is somebody Groucho can indulge his physical desires for.  You have eyes, I won't explain.  Groucho invites Ms. Todd in the closet, cracks jokes of putting his hands all over her, and on two different occasions dances with her in a youthful manner that would not have worked with Ms. Dumont.  Both female leads serve a different purpose the same way Symona Boniface and Christine McIntyre serves different purposes for The Three Stooges.  Each team was better off having two different ladies to fill their respective roles.

A true comedy classic, 10/10 all the way.  Paramount in general was the best comedy studio in the first half of the 30's if you throw in these Marx films, the W.C. Fields films, the Mae West films, and the more sophisticated Ernst Lubitsch stuff.  Discover away if you haven't already.l

10/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

There are times when I think this might be my favorite Marx movie.  You mentioned how great Harpo and (relatively speaking) Zeppo are, and I'd add that Groucho is maybe at his best here too.  He's in full live-action Bugs Bunny mode here, flustering the gangsters with the same silly patter that Bugs would use to deal with Elmer Fudd.  I always half-expect him to stick his finger in the barrel of one of the thugs' gats and make it backfire in their face at some point.

I love the snappy pace of this one too.  With no extended musical numbers or long slow-burn pieces, MONKEY BUSINESS delivers a non-stop rapid-fire series of comedy bits and snippets for a little over an hour.  It feels like a long live-action Tex Avery cartoon in the style of HOLLYWOOD STEPS OUT.

Zeppo is given something to do as the romantic lead.  He is not, thankfully, the stereotypical romantic lead.  None of his scenes overstay their welcome, and he sings no distracting musical numbers.  He also gets a few comic bits, something the average male lead would never get in these films.  I'm referring to specifically him taking the handkerchief instead of giving it to his girl and him saying he'll never leave his girl, only to be whisked away seconds later.  Zeppo is not the talent of his other three brothers for sure, but MONKEY BUSINESS proves he could have been more useful to the team if the writers gave him more of a chance.  Imagine some of those later MGM's with a Zeppo like lead instead of what we actually got. 

The Maurice Chevalier bit was a rare instance when the writers effectively used Zeppo as an integral part of the team, introducing the premise of the bit before the other three come in and take turns twisting that premise in their unique styles.  He'd serve a similar function in HORSE FEATHERS with the running "Everyone Says I Love You" theme, and it's a great use of Zeppo's character, among the few times when it really does feel like "The Four Marx Brothers."

One thing this film does not have is Margaret Dumont.  Sounds bad so far, as she was very valuable to The Marx Brothers, but instead we go a different direction with Thelma Todd.  She is equally as effective as Maragret Dumont, but in a different way.  The differences are quite obvious.  Margaret Dumont was a woman in her 50's and while attractive in her own way, it was a different kind of attraction than a twenty something "Hot Toddy" Thelma Todd.  Ms. Dumont is somebody for Groucho to indulge his giggilo fantasies with, she's mature, worldly, and has money.  Ms. Todd is somebody Groucho can indulge his physical desires for.  You have eyes, I won't explain.  Groucho invites Ms. Todd in the closet, cracks jokes of putting his hands all over her, and on two different occasions dances with her in a youthful manner that would not have worked with Ms. Dumont.  Both female leads serve a different purpose the same way Symona Boniface and Christine McIntyre serves different purposes for The Three Stooges.  Each team was better off having two different ladies to fill their respective roles.

I love that we get a two-movie break from the Dumont format to try a new approach with Thelma Todd.  Unlike Dumont, Todd always interacts with the Brothers as if she's in on the joke (in the right way), taking their insanity in her stride and even playing along with them a bit.  Her chemistry with Groucho is fantastic and gives the movies she's in more of a sophisticated (!) screw-ball comedy feel compared to the Dumont movies.  They're sort of a Marxian William Powell and Myrna Loy.

Offline Larrys#1

Oh man, now this is a great Marx Bros film... right up there with DUCK SOUP. It can't get any better than this. One interesting thing about this film is the lack of musical numbers, which is something, I think, weakened their films. The only musical parts are Harpo and Chico's instrument solos, but they are both brief.. I really enjoyed Chico on this one. It was brief but the music he played was so upbeat and exciting.

So many great parts here... Harpo and Chico as barbers, Harpo's puppet show scene, Harpo and Chico playing chess and becoming bodyguards,  and of course, the hilarious Maurice Chavalier scene. Thelma Todd is awesome is this film and makes me forget about Dumont's absence. Zeppo seems to have a bigger role here than the previous two films. And another great part was the "frog in the throat" bit. Again, another hilarious moment from Harpo.

This one is a very easy one to rate....10/10.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I intended to participate in these discussions because I love the Marxes, but, as we all know, life gets in the way of things, sometimes.  So let me say that I enjoyed "Animal Crackers," especially:  Groucho's theme song, "Hurray for Captain Spaulding," the routing with Chico, Harpo and "Abie the Fish Man," from the old neighborhood, Groucho's take-off of Eugene O'Neill with his Strange Interludes...and much more.

I also love "Monkey Business," beginning with the opening scenes in the barrels.  I enjoyed Thelma Todd, and didn't really miss Margaret Dumont even though I think she was always terrific.  I like the exchange between Groucho and Thelma:  "If my husband finds us, he'll wallop me."  "Always thinking of your husband!  Couldn't I wallop you just as well?"
In regard to Margaret Dumont's seeming to be oblivious to the jokes whereas Thelma Todd is in on them, Groucho always said that MD really was like that.  Unfortunately for her, it led to off-screen teasing by the Marxes, who found her a perfect target.  I understand she took it well, though.

An omission from "The Cocoanuts," I always laugh at the segment where "I lost my shirt" is sung to "Carmen," and where Harpo repeatedly stalks off during the speech, making his gookie face.  That last part comes to mind every time I have to sit through a boring speech; I always wish I had the nerve to do as Harpo did.

Offline Signor Spumoni

By the way, has this group ever had a discussion of Our Gang/Little Rascals comedy shorts?

Offline metaldams

I like the exchange between Groucho and Thelma:  "If my husband finds us, he'll wallop me."  "Always thinking of your husband!  Couldn't I wallop you just as well?"

The thing with these Marx Brothers movies is sometimes these jokes go by so fast I barely have time to let them register, so upon repeat viewings I actually get a joke that didn't really sink in with me before.

The above joke is hysterical and one of those jokes that hasn't registered with me, but reading it, boy do I get it.  I'll look out for it upon next viewing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, has this group ever had a discussion of Our Gang/Little Rascals comedy shorts?

Could be done, I suppose.  I have to say, while I like Our Gang, and do have all the sound Hal Roach shorts, I've never been quite as big on them as I have other comedy series.  Still, I'm open to the idea sometime in the future, I'd enjoy doing their films I'm sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
In regard to Margaret Dumont's seeming to be oblivious to the jokes whereas Thelma Todd is in on them, Groucho always said that MD really was like that.  Unfortunately for her, it led to off-screen teasing by the Marxes, who found her a perfect target.  I understand she took it well, though.

That's an urban legend about Margaret. 

Trained as an operatic singer, her early days were in musical/comedy vaudeville.  Married a millionaire, widowed young, she returned to the legitimate stage as a 'society lady' character, and kept a public face with it too.

Groucho originated the story about Dumont, and as long as he got a laugh with it, he kept telling it.  Repeated it so often, it became "fact."  On the outside chance Groucho really believed it, then the joke was Maggie's, and it was on him.  That former vaudeville chorus girl not only knew the jokes, in her younger days she lived them.

When she appeared with Groucho in the '60's on The Hollywood Palace, it's impossible to think she didn't get the jokes.  In this, the only record of their doing the act live ( it's on YouTube ) her timing and her rapport with the audience is impeccable, unimprovable.  Her reactions not only reflect her character, they also invite the audience into the joke.  This is a bit tough to put into words, but perfectly obvious when you see the clip.
     To me it's analogous to the Abbott and Costello live clip of Who's on First at the Retired Actors' Home.  That's a different Bud Abbott, very audience friendly, almost inviting the audience into A&C's world.  He's even friendly to Costello, not plain old mean as he can sometimes be.  Both Bud and Mme. Dumont are acting as liasons to the audience besides playing their own parts, and that is technical excellence.

Offline metaldams

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xlWQqFB4ECI

Here's the footage you're talking about, Big Chief, and yes, it's very obvious she's in on the humor.  Her laugh reminds me of my Grandmother's.  Interestingly enough, Margaret Dumont died of a heart attack days after this was filmed.  The YouTube page above says three days, Wikipedia says eight days, either way, she's 82, near the end, and still wonderful.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The Marx Brothers' first Hollywood production is a masterpiece of cinematic anarchy. "Monkey Business" takes no prisoners — it's fast, furious and doesn't give a damn about convention. There are enough sight gags and nonsequiturs for a half-dozen comedies. Thelma Todd is a lively addition to the Marxian ensemble and compensates for the absence of Margaret Dumont.

Memorable Groucho dialogue: "Don't forget that the stockholder of yesteryear is the stowaway of today."

10/10
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:22:45 PM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline metaldams

Just watched this one again and yeah, it’s a great film, I stand by my review.

There’s a little guy who gets thrown around a lot and he’s the guy with the frog in his throat.  That’s Bobby Barber, who years later would be an Abbott and Costello regular and on the set comic relief.  Also in the party scene, Groucho hits on Bess Flowers, the wife of the guy dressed as an Indian.  She really was beautiful in her day.

But yeah, such a great movie, not a bad place to introduce a newbie.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This is a very fun movie. The last three Paramount Marx Brothers movies are certainly my favorites. The introduction is tremendous and I like that they are already a group in this movie. Then they split up and have several more great moments: Harpo in the puppet show, Harpo and Chico as bodyguards, Groucho going around the boat interacting with the excellent Thelma Todd and the Maurice Chevalier impersonation that they all do. The ending is great with Zeppo actually getting the spotlight! Monkey Business shows that the brothers can carry a film on their own, without much plot even.

Offline Allen Champion

When A NIGHT AT THE OPERA isn't my favorite Marxmovie, this one is.  Or HORSEFEATHERS.   Actually, it's probably DUCK SOUP, except when its A  NIGHT AT THE OPERA, which brings us right back to where I started.   I love the Groucho/Thelma encounters, Harpo at the Punch and Judy Show, Groucho and Chico stealing the Captain's lunch, and the Great Maurice Chevalier Charade.   But once it gets off the boat, the film fizzles pretty quickly.  Actually the whole film is pretty pointless, which suits me just fine.   Nice to see Bess Flowers in that party scene, though.
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"