Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Healy & His Stooges Shorts, Incl. HELLO POP, Warner Archive on Sept. 23

BeAStooge · 33 · 12636

Linked Events

• Ted Healy & His Stooges MGM Shorts on DVD: September 23, 2014 - September 29, 2014

ThumpTheShoes

Finally got to see Hello Pop! I liked it. It was better than I expected.

I do want to bring up one weird, unusual thing I noticed.... In the final dancing/musical bit, the dancing girls have their bellybuttons exposed. I know you guys may think I'm weird or freaky for bringing this up, but I never saw a classical film where a female's naval was uncovered. I always assumed it was because it was considered taboo at the time; like in "I Dream of Jeannie" where Barbara Eden was forbidden to expose her naval. I'm just surprised to see this in a 1933 film.

The lead dancer's outfit was rather sheer, as well. That's pre-code Hollywood for ya'!

Offline Larrys#1

It's too bad that this had to be a DVD-R and not a pressed disc. What bothers me about using DVD-Rs is that they don't last very long. They tend to go bad after a few years while pressed discs can last a lifetime. Thankfully these aren't encrypted, so I was able to back up the disc on my computer. I have assured myself that HELLO POP will never get lost again!

Offline Larrys#1

I think you’ll enjoy it. I know I did. In a way, it’s a shame that Ted Healy and the Stooges didn’t work out. I thought the stooges and Healy had excellent chemistry. I believe the stooges would have been better had they worked with Healy all those years rather than separating. I know many may disagree with me, but that’s just my feeling.

Offline Paul Allen

Offline Myren

I just got done watching all the shorts on the Classic Shorts From The Dream Factory: Volume 3. I must say it was great seeing these. I had never seen Hello Pop! and Beer and Pretzels. But I must say after watching these, to me Ted Healy comes off as a, (expletive deleted >:D) and kinda boring to watch. The stooges seem to hold everything together and bring a lot to the shorts. This could just be me.  :P

Offline Paul Allen

. . . to me Ted Healy comes off as a, (expletive deleted >:D) and kinda boring to watch.
The Stooges seem to hold everything together and bring a lot to the shorts. This could just be me. :P

It's not just you, Myren. Ted Healy was about as funny as bone cancer. [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just to add my 2 cents to this discussion--having watched Soup to Nuts and most of the MGM stuff, I too find it hard to understand what was Ted Healy's appeal--but I have to respect the man for setting the foundation for the Stooges and guiding them into what they became: The Greatest Comedy team of All-Time. For that alone, I find it difficult to bash Healy, but as a comedian the man didn't do a whole lot for me...

:-\

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.