Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who's the Mystery Actor?

Svengarlic · 361 · 80797

Offline Svengarlic

He's a character actor seen in films from the teens to the fifties, but like Chaney was hard to spot. He has worked for directors such as De Mille, John Ford and Frank Capra, to name few. Horror, Westerns and Adventure films were his forte. The more exotic the theme or location the better.

He is best known for his role in one particular block buster from the 30's. Huge kudos to anyone that can identify him.

Offline metaldams

Offline Lefty

I thought it was a cross between Mickey Simpson and Damien Sandow.   

Offline Svengarlic

I thought it was a cross between Mickey Simpson and Damien Sandow.
Who pray tell, are they?  :-[

Offline Svengarlic

OK Metal, et al.... Try this one on for size:

Character actor from the '30's known late in life by his association with a certain children's show in the '60's.

Offline Lefty

Who pray tell, are they?  :-[

Mickey Simpson:  Rocky Duggan from "Gents in a Jam".

Damien Sandow:  WWE wrestler.

Offline Svengarlic

The guy with the dog was Edward Everette Horton, probably best remembered as the narrator of "Fractured Fairy Tales" on Rocky & Bullwinkle.

It drove me half crazy when I came across this leggy brunette. So familiar but the hair threw me off. Circa 1960

Offline Svengarlic

In their time, these sisters would put the Kardashians to shame for un-earned celebrity. The little darling on the left is the lesser known.

Offline JazzBill

In their time, these sisters would put the Kardashians to shame for un-earned celebrity. The little darling on the left is the lesser known.

I see you don't have the answer on this one, so this time I really will take a wild guess and say the Gabor sisters
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Svengarlic

I see you don't have the answer on this one, so this time I really will take a wild guess and say the Gabor sisters
That's Magda on the left, and little Ava on the right. Magdalina came to the USA before her sibs and actually made a few Movies and did some modeling. She and one of the others were both married to George Saunders. (I forget which)

Zsa Zsa was married nine times, most notably to Conrad Hilton, the founder of the Hilton Hotel chain, and great-grandfather to another socialite who is famous for being famous, Paris Hilton. While married to Conrad, Zsa Zsa fucked her step-son, Nicky Hilton, who later married Elizabeth Taylor. If you wondered how Paris Hilton came to be so fabulous, it looks like she learned a lot from her former step-great grandmother.

Offline Svengarlic

This from the B movie classic Gorilla at large. I'm guessing that it's the same man in the same gorilla suit from several Stooge shorts, but who's the pretty bundle in his arms?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Just a wild guess ... Jean Stapleton? (Archie Bunker's Bride)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Signor Spumoni

It's the future "Mrs. Robinson" and real-life Mrs. Mel Brooks, Anne Bancroft.

Offline Svengarlic

Just a wild guess ... Jean Stapleton? (Archie Bunker's Bride)
Interesting guess. But I don't think Stapleton, even as a young woman, was ever gorilla worthy.  :D

Spumoni's got it with Bancroft. An interesting blend of beauty and smarts. Mel Brooks was one lucky little Jew. (his words)

Offline Signor Spumoni

One good example of that blend of beauty and smarts is the 1957 film, "Nightfall," starring Aldo Ray, and - - as a villain - - costarring Brian Keith.

I read somewhere, years ago, that Mel Brook and Anne Bancroft were having a big argument.  He put his hand on shoulder, and she pulled away saying, "Don't touch me!  My body's an instrument!"
He said, "Really?  Can you play 'Begin the Beguine?'"  And that was the end of the argument because she started laughing.

Offline Svengarlic

I'm going to add a twist as these ladies' real names are just too obscure. Identifying their characters name from the successful sixties TV show will be plenty! They both played the rarely seen wife of one of the characters.

This face should  be familiar to you all. I'm pretty sure she played the boss of the girl band in Some like it hot. Now don't go looking that up!   
This is her in her salad days. How 'bout it Metal? Have any idea?

For whatever reason I could not post the other actress, but it was a grainy little image and she was utterly obscure anyway.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Svengarlic, despite repeated attempts, I cannot view the pictures for the latest mystery actor.  I've enjoyed these posts, by the way.

Offline Svengarlic

Svengarlic, despite repeated attempts, I cannot view the pictures for the latest mystery actor.  I've enjoyed these posts, by the way.
I see. Odd, as they were there yesterday when I posted 'em. I'll try again.

Edit: I got her. Go back and look.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Ah, that does it!  Thank you, Svengarlic; there are two of three now.  All I have to do is to cudgel my brain to figure out who they are. 

Offline Svengarlic

Ah, that does it!  Thank you, Svengarlic; there are two of three now.  All I have to do is to cudgel my brain to figure out who they are.
Not exactly Signor...both pics are of the same gal. The other didn't work. But it's not much of an issue as the other one was too obscure to recognize anyway. But the one pictured was in scads of movies. Even so I would not expect anyone to know her real name because she wasn't in the catagory of an Eve Arden or Joan Blondell, say.

It's the character she played in the TV show that I'm after. As I said, she was rarely seen but OFTEN mentioned by her flummaxed husband on the show.  ;)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Joan Shawlee, a member of A&C's troupe in the 1st season of their TV show, and the 2nd actress to play 'Pickles Sorrel' on THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.  (Also known as Joan Fulton, e.g., when she costarred with A&C in BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME.)

Offline Svengarlic

Joan Shawlee, a member of A&C's troupe in the 1st season of their TV show, and the 2nd actress to play 'Pickles Sorrel' on THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.  (Also known as Joan Fulton, e.g., when she costarred with A&C in BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME.)
Nice job.

This must be the other one.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I remember "Pickles" very well.  This was a good one!  I was baffled.