Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Men in Black (1934)

metaldams · 43 · 18643

Offline stoogerascalfan62

Someone on YouTube, when YT had an early Popeye cartoon with a different voice actress voicing Olive Oyl, claimed that one of "Men In Black"'s featured performers, Jeanie Roberts, voiced Olive. I don't think that was ever the case.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Someone on YouTube, when YT had an early Popeye cartoon with a different voice actress voicing Olive Oyl, claimed that one of "Men In Black"'s featured performers, Jeanie Roberts, voiced Olive. I don't think that was ever the case.

I agree, because the Popeye cartoons were never made in California. They were made in New York except for a brief period in the late 1930s/early 1940s in which they were made in Miami, Florida. For the majority of the New York cartoons, she was voiced by Mae Questel, while Margie Hines is believed to have voiced her in the Miami cartoons. Considering Roberts probably lived in Los Angeles, I highly doubt they would have been willing to spend the extra money to bring her out to Miami for recording sessions.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline stoogerascalfan62

According to Wikipedia, Bonnie Poe voiced Olive in the first few cartoons, particularly the Betty Boop one that brought the spinach-loving sailor to the big screen.

Offline Umbrella Sam

After watching some live-action clips of her on YouTube, I think it's safe to say that Poe is indeed the voice of Betty in the first Popeye cartoon, which probably means that she was the voice of Olive Oyl in this and some of the earlier cartoons as well. It's hard to tell, considering that Olive Oyl's voice is lower in them, and I can't find any clips of Poe talking in her regular speaking voice (assuming she didn't actually talk like Betty in real life). It's probably not Questel, considering she always claimed that she had chosen to do the Zasu Pitts impression the first time she saw the storyboards for Olive Oyl.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

Easily the best of the 1934 shorts, I loved the stooges modes of transportation when they're on their way to help the patients such as a bicycle, a horse and go carts, I also loved the intercom constantly yelling out "Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine & Dr. Howard", Moe laughing when the nurse tells him that when she yelled at her boss for a raise and her losing her voice in the process and Larry flirting with one of the female nurses.

Not quite a classic but definitely a great short that gets a 9/10.

Offline archiezappa

I watched this again this morning. So many funny moments. What if you met someone and he stuck his hand out to shake and introduced himself as Dr. Graves, president of Los Arms Hospital. That would be something!

I love the opening theme. I wish they used that more often.

Also, this episode is very forward thinking. Within the episode, there is no one actually paiging the Drs. It's an artificial intelligence that is at the heart of the PA system. The Three Stooges are fighting back against AI with their own guns, which, apparently, they had been concealed carrying the whole time. This scenario seems relevant to the struggles of today. Thoughts?

Offline DogtheAV8R

2 fun facts:
Moe's Grandchildren were born in that hospital, and this short was the only 3 Stooges short nominated for an Oscar.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Though better shorts were to follow, "Men in Black" was the only Stooge two-reeler to receive an Oscar nomination — losing to the Technicolor snoozefest "La Cucaracha."

Who remembers "La Cucaracha"? Try sitting through "La Cucaracha."

In any event, the Three Stooges deserved more than a single Oscar nomination during their long career and should have won an Academy Award in the shorts category. What Stooge classics do you consider worthy of an Oscar?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:39:49 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

Though better shorts were to follow, "Men in Black" was the only Stooge two-reeler to receive an Oscar nomination — losing to the Technicolor snoozefest "La Cucaracha."

Who remembers "La Cucaracha"? Even worse, try sitting through "La Cucaracha."

In any event, the Three Stooges deserved more than a single Oscar nomination during their long career and should have won an Academy Award in the shorts category. What Stooge classics do you consider worthy of an Oscar?

"Hoi Polloi", "An Ache In Every Stake", "How High Is Up", "Who Done It?" and "Scrambled Brains" are other shorts I consider to be worthy of Oscar nominations or winnings, I give "Men In Black" an 8/10 since I do enjoy their antics in this short.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I just watched the other 1934 Academy Award nominee for Best Short Subject (Comedy):  the unfunny Vitaphone two-reeler "What, No Men?" starring El Brendel in two-strip Technicolor. The Stooges were definitely robbed.

Offline metaldams

I just watched the other 1934 Academy Award nominee for Best Short Subject (Comedy):  the unfunny Vitaphone two-reeler "What, No Men!" starring El Brendel in two-strip Technicolor. The Stooges were definitely robbed.

That would be interesting to hunt down and review.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Disorder in the Court and Brideless Groom were Oscar worthy...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Just about any of the good ones - and there were a lot, were worthy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Faster-paced than “Punch Drunks” yet a bit too frenetic for its own good, “Men in Black” serves as a warm-up for greater triumphs such as “Dizzy Doctors” and “Calling All Curs.” As metaldams pointed out, the Marx Brothers vibe throws the Stooges off their comic rhythm. The laughs are there, but Moe, Larry and Curly appear somewhat restrained. In fact, the boys do not find their groove until “Horses’ Collars" — followed by the arrival of director Del Lord. Though an enjoyable short with its fair share of signature moments, “Men in Black” does not represent the Stooges at full comic throttle.

8/10

Offline I. Cheatam

Another interesting character actor is Hank Mann, the guy who constantly had to fix the glass door.  He was a Sennett regular for years and was even Chaplin's boxing opponent in CITY LIGHTS.  Another actor from these early shorts where it's a shame he don't show up more with the Stooges.

He was also in Goofs and Saddles, as a cattle watchman, who is constantly pummeled by the Stooges.

Offline Allen Champion

Academy Award, Shmacademy Award, IMHO this is a step down from PUNCH DRUNKS.

The verbal jokes misfire, the pace is leaden, and Billy Gilbert steals the whole short with his Green Canaries.  (I just saw him steal HIS GIRL FRIDAY from Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell tonight too--it's just what he does, I guess). 

I always laugh the loudest when Del Henderson gives his exasperated "No!  No!"  when the Stooges offer to operate on him.

I don't care what a "piffin" is--it's a lousy joke.

I do like the running gag with Hank Mann and the continuously smashed door glass, but the Stooges should be the funniest things in their only Academy Award nominated short--and they're not.
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"