Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

No Census, No Feeling (1940)

metaldams · 28 · 13605

Offline Larrys#1

I really like this one. Thought this was really funny seeing the stooges as census takers and I did enjoy the football scene at the end.

Now one thing that always was a head scratcher was the alum scene. I've showed this episodes to many people (including my own parents) and none of us really understand this. Like, what is alum? And why did it make everyone's lips pucker? Based on a google search, alum is some sort of compound that helps close up wounds. So I assume the alum is closing up their lips?

Other than that confusing logic, still a funny episode and the alum gag works despite me not fully understanding it.

9/10

And the actor playing Henry, who ducks the flying crockery that hits Moe, is also the little guy who's being arrested for taking pictures in Dutiful But Dumb.  He worked often because, among other things, he was very short, even noticeably shorter than the stooges.

Offline QuinceHead

Now one thing that always was a head scratcher was the alum scene. I've showed this episodes to many people (including my own parents) and none of us really understand this. Like, what is alum? And why did it make everyone's lips pucker? Based on a google search, alum is some sort of compound that helps close up wounds. So I assume the alum is closing up their lips?

Alum powder was used in the making of homemade pickles and also as baking powder.  It was also used to make fruits and vegetables crisper.

Because alum is a very bitter-tasting and absorbs moisture, it causes your lips to pucker up and the inside of your mouth to constrict.

Styptic pencils that are used to treat minor bleeding caused by shaving, are made up of alum.

Hope that helps!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead