Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hold Your Temper (1933) - Leon Errol

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024131/

Things didn't go to plan, really.  What was supposed to be a simple break to allow people to enjoy the holidays turned into a deterioration in my health from that old nemesis of mankind: dehydration.  Yes, I, Paul Pain, the heart throb of millions, was in the ER yesterday for a few hours to eliminate all the other possible and typical familial conditions.  Instead, at the end of the day, I simply hadn't been drinking enough.

Leon Errol, in HOLD YOUR TEMPER, hadn't been drinking enough either, it seems.  That's a joke, folks.  We have a real 1933 Columbia short on our hands, not one of the musical novelties for a change.  Every actor you see in this short was, therefore, at Columbia before even these guys ->  [3stooges]

This is also, as far as I can tell, the only Columbia short appearance of Charlie Hall.  Yes, you read that right.  Yes, that Charlie Hall.

Leon Errol does not look like a man in his 50s, and the beautiful 22 year old dish Dorothy Granger is his wife.  Oh, what a pair they make though!  The on-screen chemistry is great, and they enjoyed many years of playing husband-wife pairs until Errol's death in the 1950s.    This short is but one example of their ability to work together.  They make such a happy couple, don't they?

Yes, Leon is such a happy-go-lucky guy.  He's always smiling; his wife is always smiling; his employees are always smiling.  Then his day goes to hell in a handbasket with a series of events that increase with time until he loses his temper.  Then he loses his temper on those around him; finally, the whole town is in outrage, it seems.  Then, just as Leon regains his calm, happy state, it all comes around.  It's no wonder he was such a staple of the industry for so long; the man has talent to spare!

This short is a good way to spend 15 or so minutes.  I regret I haven't much to say because more time passed between my viewing and this review than I was planning, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself enough to consider pursuing more of Leon's work when we're done with what's presently available to us.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I’ll search this out online soon.  Sorry to hear about your health problems.  I’m hoping it is indeed something simple like some more water that will put those problems behind you.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I’ll search this out online soon.  Sorry to hear about your health problems.  I’m hoping it is indeed something simple like some more water that will put those problems behind you.

It is indeed as much as water.  This short is available at the link you were sent some time ago.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I’ll give this one a watch tomorrow, glad you’re doing better. Dehydration can be awful, especially in humid/warmer areas.

Offline HomokHarcos

Today I learned the Columbia shorts department was releasing films in 1933, and not only that, but Leon Errol was starring for them. I knew about him from the RKO series.

There are some things that the short did well, such as the outdoor scenery, and surprisingly, the office scene. It was quite lively in there with a few extras and chatter, which made it seem more realistic.

Now for the comedy itself, I think the premise would have been better if Leon wasn't throwing fits throughout the whole short, and instead he only had a big blowoff at the end. He does have reason to be angry, with his car troubles and and getting falsely arrested, but the continuing gag of him throwing things was overdone.

Of course, my favorite supporting actor Bud Jamison showed up and was memorable as the cop, that's always a plus.

I'd like to watch more eventually, hopefully the losing his temper is not a constant in these shorts.

@ Paul Pain:  Not drinking enough?  What's that like?  My problem is the exact opposite.  Just ask my wife.