"The Three Stooges 6-Movie Set" DVD Collection, Feb. 4, 2014

BeAStooge · 60 · 21212

Linked Events

• Three Stooges 6-Movie DVD Collection: February 04, 2014 - February 10, 2014

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Mill Creek Entertainment will release a 2-DVD set "The Three Stooges 6-Movie Set" on February 4.  Included are two features with Curly Howard, and four with Joe DeRita.  It's up for pre-order at Amazon and other online retailers.

Sony recently began a licensing agreement with Mill Creek, primarily focused on the TV-on-DVD product line.  Apparently, they are expanding the marketing strategy to include titles from their film library as well.

From Mill Creek's press release...
THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION – 6 MOVIE SET
Nuyk, Nuyk, Nuyk! Calling all nitwits and knuckleheads!

Moe, Curly, Larry and Curly Joe all their slap happy antics are back and at their boisterous best in this 2 DVD comedy collection. From first feature length film, Have Rocket, Will Travel, to the song studded musical, Time Out for Rhythm, this collection of 6 mapcap classics is sure to leave a smile on your face and a bump on the back of your noggin!

Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959)
When the Stooges accidently blast off to Venus, they encounter an alien computer who creates evil duplicates of them.

The Outlaws Is Coming (1965)
Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe are sent out west, upon their arrival they find themselves being sought after by every gunslinger in history.

Rockin' in the Rockies (1945)
After they accidentally win big at roulette, the Stooges cook up prospecting plans at a local ranch.

Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze (1963)
The Stooges set sail for a globe-hopping trip, after being enlisted by a con man that needs to win a bet.

The Three Stooges Meet Hercules (1962)
Comical chaos ensues when the trio flicks the switch of a time-machine that transports them to ancient Greece.

Time Out for Rhythm (1941)
Musical hilarity ensues when three out-of-work-actors, Moe, Larry and Curly, find jobs through a talent agency.

Offline falsealarms

The big draw here is a pressed version of TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM, which was only previously available as a Sony MOD disc (for twice the cost of this 6 film set).

That alone makes this new set worth a buy.

Hopefully, this set utilizes the same print used for the Sony MOD.

Offline Squirrelbait

I'm sold!

But no love for 'Three Stooges In Orbit'?

I'd still like to see a proper DVD release of 'Start Cheering' in the near future as well.
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

ThumpTheShoes

I'm betting the pictures have logos burnt in at some point. Just a guess and only time will tell..

Offline Larrys#1

Mill Creek's quality isn't that great. I'd be surprised if these look better than the ones released by Sony....

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Kind of sad it took Mill Creek to release a collection like this.  The good news is that their discs are always cheap.  The bad news is that their quality varies.  I hope for the best on this release though, since Sony should have done a movie collection a long time ago.

Of course the notable omission is Orbit.  That's really odd.  Stop, Look, and Laugh is also in the Sony library though it has been released, and Start Cheering could use a release too.  Wonder if they might plan on a volume 2 with those titles and the cameoed Captain Hates the Sea and My Sister Eileen.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm surprised The Three Stooges in Orbit isn't included, either, particularly since it's out of print.

I'll be picking this up for Time Out for Rhythm alone. I have all of the others.

archiezappa must be doing a dance.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Everything looks good with this set.

Good packaging, and a great price. TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM appears to be the remastered version used for the Sony MOD in 2012. Everything else looks as expected.

The set is well worth it just for TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM. Amazon third parties are selling it new for under $4 at the moment.

Offline Larrys#1

Good packaging, and a great price.

Very surprised to hear that. Based on past experiences, Mill Creek usually stacks discs or puts them in sleeves; never in hubs. I'm even more encouraged now to pick this one up just to get Time Out For Rhythm.

Offline falsealarms

Very surprised to hear that. Based on past experiences, Mill Creek usually stacks discs or puts them in sleeves; never in hubs. I'm even more encouraged now to pick this one up just to get Time Out For Rhythm.

When you open the case, there's one hub on each side of the inner case. Pretty ideal.

ThumpTheShoes

Sony MOD dvd:
Mill Creek dvd:

Not a huge difference, but there is a slight change in the image between sets. I can say that I haven't seen any on-screen logos! I was sure they'd be a Mill Creek logo bug somewhere in the corner but, there's no logo anywhere! So.. Yayyy!!* for no logo!!!

*Spell check suggests that "yayyy" be spelled "khayyam". I disagree.

Offline Squirrelbait

I can say that I haven't seen any on-screen logos! I was sure they'd be a Mill Creek logo bug somewhere in the corner but, there's no logo anywhere! So.. Yayyy!!* for no logo!!!

Yayyy!!

I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline luke795

Sony MOD dvd:
Mill Creek dvd:

Not a huge difference, but there is a slight change in the image between sets. I can say that I haven't seen any on-screen logos! I was sure they'd be a Mill Creek logo bug somewhere in the corner but, there's no logo anywhere! So.. Yayyy!!* for no logo!!!

*Spell check suggests that "yayyy" be spelled "khayyam". I disagree.

How do the other Three Stooges movies compare to the original DVDs?

ThumpTheShoes

Actually, we have something interesting going on, here. The widescreen features on disc 1 seem to have more picture image visible than the original discs, where the full frame Rockies seems a teensy, shmeensy bit cropped.

Which versions are better? Mill Creek's Have Rocket has the advantage over the Treasures set, with more image visible and more (apparent) detail. Look at Moe's hair in the capture below. Edge enhancement or sharpening can't add image detail.

Sony's original Outlaws has more grain and an overall sharper image with better contrast.

Rockies is pretty comparable between the two, although the Mill Creek has less grain, a digitally smoothed image, and that little bit of cropping.

I had originally suspected these discs would be made like the pd sets, where a source dvd was copied or otherwise re-encoded, adding picture and sound degradation. Happily, it looks like we got a new dvd mastering from the original files, albeit with minor pluses and minuses that are par for the course with video reissues.

Rocket Treasures disc
Rocket Mill Creek

Outlaws Original disc
Outlaws Mill Creek

Rockies Treasures disc
Rockies Mill Creek

Offline Squirrelbait

Actually, we have something interesting going on, here. The widescreen features on disc 1 seem to have more picture image visible than the original discs, where the full frame Rockies seems a teensy, shmeensy bit cropped.

Which versions are better? Mill Creek's Have Rocket has the advantage over the Treasures set, with more image visible and more (apparent) detail. Look at Moe's hair in the capture below. Edge enhancement or sharpening can't add image detail.

Sony's original Outlaws has more grain and an overall sharper image with better contrast.

Rockies is pretty comparable between the two, although the Mill Creek has less grain, a digitally smoothed image, and that little bit of cropping.

I had originally suspected these discs would be made like the pd sets, where a source dvd was copied or otherwise re-encoded, adding picture and sound degradation. Happily, it looks like we got a new dvd mastering from the original files, albeit with minor pluses and minuses that are par for the course with video reissues.

Rocket Treasures disc
Rocket Mill Creek

Outlaws Original disc
Outlaws Mill Creek

Rockies Treasures disc
Rockies Mill Creek

How did 'Meet Hercules' and 'Around The World In A Daze' look?

ThumpTheShoes

Around the World in a Daze just doesn't look great on either disc. The image is overly soft and while the Mill Crick version seems to have more fine detail, there is more evidence of mpeg compression in the image. I'd guess it comes down to bit rate and cramming one too many pictures on one dvd. Suffice to say, my 16mm print is razor sharp with scads more detail than what is presented in either dvd. (You can really see the railway satchels under Moe's eyes on the film!) They're not horrible discs, they look better in motion! But they're not what they could be.

The Sony disc of Hercules looks just fine to me, even though it does have that windowboxed look when you see the whole picture. There is grain present, and it makes for an overall sharp and well contrasted/saturated image. The Creek disc has the grain squashed more, which makes the picture a bit softer. Not bad for either one, and the Creek disc does, again, have more picture area showing.

For Rhythm, the MOD disc is the clear winner. The images are almost identical for both, but this time the Mill Creek has less image, which seems consistent with the previous full screen entry, Rockin' in Some Rockies. Grain is present in both copies, but softened a little for the Mill Creek. Once again, I think this comes down to compression more than digital scrubbing, as these Mill Creek discs have, overall, less space available for each film.

While getting these screen grabs I did notice that the locations of the various frames in the run time were off by seconds, sometimes nearly a minute between discs. Without running each video file side by side for a comparison I can't say if there's any footage missing in either copy, or if it's just a matter of black space at the head of each video file, minute speed differences or whatever. Sometimes when mastering films for video like this the techs redo fades, trim out noisy frames or make adjustments for sych and junk. (Remember, stuff like that happened with the Stooge shorts sets!) Never can tell, but I'd bet nothing is missing. Just something I noticed, though.

Daze Sony disc
Daze Mill Creek

Hercules Sony disc
Hercules Mill Creek

Rhythm MOD disc
Rhythm Mill Creek

ThumpTheShoes

For the morbidly curious, I found a glitch in Daze that is not present in the Sony original release. Around the 1 hr 28min mark the picture goes all hinky for a second or two:
Daze glitch 1
Daze glitch 2

Remember, the morbid the merrier!

Offline Larrys#1

For the morbidly curious, I found a glitch in Daze that is not present in the Sony original release. Around the 1 hr 28min mark the picture goes all hinky for a second or two:

I have a similar problem with another, non-stooge Mill Creek DVD. Evidently, something is wrong with their quality control... which explains why their retail prices are so cheap.

If you find more glitches, especially on TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM, please continue to post and let us know. Thx.

Offline Larrys#1

What stores did all of you buy this at? I've been to every store in town and can't find this in stock. This is so frustrating....

ThumpTheShoes

I had mine preordered on Amazon. I gave up on the local b&m's a long time ago. I did see, though, that the nearby Barnes and Noble had one the shelf.. for more than twice the price of Amazon! $29.95! What a deal!!

Offline Larrys#1

I went to BN and the one I went to didn't have any. And the $30 price tag must've been a mistake. BN charges retail price, not more.

I gave up on Amazon ever since they raised the free shipping requirement to $35. They can kiss my rear end on that. Sorry to sound nasty; it's just how I feel about it.

ThumpTheShoes

.. the $30 price tag must've been a mistake. BN charges retail price, not more.

Not here. If a tv series set is reg $19.99-29.99, it would be $39.99-49.99 in store. That's why I quit going there for dvds. I thought the place was neat when it first came here, but their prices are all over the place.

Offline JazzBill

I ordered on Amazon. Cost $3.64, add on tax, shipping and handling it came to $8.11. I can live with that.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".