Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Bowery Boys Collection Volume Three, Oct. 1

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Warner Archive released "The Bowery Boys  Volume Three" today (10/1/13).

This third volume of the complete Bowery Boys film collection carries within it some milestone moments for the series - along with more mirth and malaprops than you can swing a crumpled fedora at! First off, the Boys look back to their roots as the Forties wind down with ANGELS' ALLEY, complete with gangsters and fighting priests (and the crime vein continues in the very noir-ey ANGELS IN DISGUISE). Next we move through the Fifties hitting on all cylinders whether its feuding in the west (FEUDIN' FOOLS) or racing to the roar of the crowd (JALOPY) as Huntz Hall moves up to headliner status (PARIS PLAYBOYS) before bidding a fond farewell to beloved Bernard Gorcey (Louie Dumbrowski) who died suddenly after completing DIG THAT URANIUM. Son Leo (Slip) would depart the series shortly thereafter, leaving Huntz Hall to carry the comedy (and battle the devil in UP IN SMOKE!) alongside new boy Duke (Stanley Clements). But allow us to regurgitate one salient pint – Slip, Sach, Duke and the boys will be back for another round in volume 4!

Offline Larrys#1

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to get really annoyed about these MOD DVD-Rs. Not only are they overpriced, but they are burned on DVD-Rs instead of pressed discs. If you read about it, DVD-Rs are more likely to go bad after a few years as opposed to pressed DVDs which can last a lifetime. DVD-Rs are scary. One day they may play; the next day, they may not. And to pay more for them, um, no thanks. I am a huge Bowery Boys fan, but because I hate MOD DVD-Rs so much, I never bought these.

Please Warner..... release these on pressed discs. I beg of you.....

Offline metaldams

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to get really annoyed about these MOD DVD-Rs. Not only are they overpriced, but they are burned on DVD-Rs instead of pressed discs. If you read about it, DVD-Rs are more likely to go bad after a few years as opposed to pressed DVDs which can last a lifetime. DVD-Rs are scary. One day they may play; the next day, they may not. And to pay more for them, um, no thanks. I am a huge Bowery Boys fan, but because I hate MOD DVD-Rs so much, I never bought these.

Please Warner..... release these on pressed discs. I beg of you.....

Warner will not release Bowery Boy or any other old films in their archive collection on pressed disk.  DVRs are cheaper and can be made to order, which is why we're even getting these films released at all.  I'm personally thrilled about volume three and cannot wait to get this!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Warner will not release Bowery Boy or any other old films in their archive collection on pressed disk.  DVRs are cheaper and can be made to order, which is why we're even getting these films released at all.  I'm personally thrilled about volume three and cannot wait to get this!

Some of the WA multi-disc sets have been INITIALLY pressed... like the Forbidden Hollywood sets and all 3 Bowery sets, including this one. Once that initial pressed run comes to an end, then it's DVD-R.

"Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand." (via http://shop.warnerarchive.com/product/the+bowery+boys+collection+volume+three+1000443633.do?sortby=bestSellers&refType=&from=Search)

You won't know if you made the pressed cut until you get your order and see for yourself.

Offline metaldams

Some of the WA multi-disc sets have been INITIALLY pressed... like the Forbidden Hollywood sets and all 3 Bowery sets, including this one. Once that initial pressed run comes to an end, then it's DVD-R.

"Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand." (via http://shop.warnerarchive.com/product/the+bowery+boys+collection+volume+three+1000443633.do?sortby=bestSellers&refType=&from=Search)

You won't know if you made the pressed cut until you get your order and see for yourself.

I just assumed they did all DVR's, but I guess Warner knows what they have to do as far as balancing the acts of pleasing the consumer and making a profit.  I'm thankful we're getting these films at all no matter the DVD type, as years ago I did not think this possible.  With digital streaming services, I imagine it will be cheaper for companies to make niche films available to the public if they haven't been already.  I gotta be honest and say I haven't jumped on the whole Netflix thing yet, so I wouldn't know.
- Doug Sarnecky