Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Charley Chase Columbia shorts Vol 2 - 11/5/13

Linked Events

• Charley Chase Columbia Shorts Vol. 2 on DVD: November 05, 2013 - November 11, 2013

Offline falsealarms

Sony will release a second volume of Charley Chase Columbia shorts on November 5, according to The Digital Bits.

The set will include the rest of his starring entries at Columbia: The Big Squirt, Calling All Doctors, From Bad to Worse, The Grand Hooter, His Bridal Fright, Many Sappy Returns, The Nightshirt Bandit, Pie a la Maid, The Sap Takes a Wrap, Teacher’s Pest, Time Out for Trouble and The Wrong Miss Wright.

No ordering information as of yet.

Let the countdown begin.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/093013_1315
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:11:47 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline metaldams

Awesome!  Stooges, Keaton, and Chase complete, now let's bug 'em about Langdon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Allen

Awesome!  Stooges, Keaton, and Chase complete, now let's bug 'em about Langdon.
Before we bug them for Langdon, let's bug WarnerBrothers for The Vitaphone Comedy Collection, Vol. 2 to get the remainder of those Shemp Howard shorts. [cool]

Offline archiezappa

Before we bug them for Langdon, let's bug WarnerBrothers for The Vitaphone Comedy Collection, Vol. 2 to get the remainder of those Shemp Howard shorts. [cool]

I'm all for that.  The remaining Vitaphones are the main ones that I remember seeing on late night television.

Offline metaldams

I gotta be honest about that first Vitaphone set.  While the Arbuckles are interesting, the other shorts are mostly Shemp in varying supporting roles, occasionally almost non existent, and the quality varies between short to short drastically.  I'm assuming if they do release a volume 2 we'll get more actual Shemp.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... the other shorts are mostly Shemp in varying supporting roles, occasionally almost non existent, and the quality varies between short to short drastically.  I'm assuming if they do release a volume 2 we'll get more actual Shemp.

Presented in chronological order, that was to be expected.  Shemp signed on at Vitaphone as a supporting player in early 1933.  Thanks to his inherent talent, his roles quickly increased in size so that by mid-1934, he was [co]starring in his own comedies.

If "Volume 2" follows as planned with 1934 - 1937, we'll see Vitaphones teaming him with (and outshining) Harry Gribbon and Roscoe Ates, plus his very effective & hilarious shorts with Daphne Pollard, and a couple solo-starring efforts.  Hopefully, we'll also get the 'Joe Palooka's... although he's not the title character, Shemp was the spotlighted star of those shorts.

Shemp Howard Solo Filmography

(1933's recently discovered GOBS OF FUN will be an out-of-sequence exception, assuming it's included, with Shemp in another funny bit role.)

Offline metaldams

Presented in chronological order, that was to be expected.  Shemp signed on at Vitaphone as a supporting player in early 1933.  Thanks to his inherent talent, his roles quickly increased in size so that by mid-1934, he was [co]starring in his own comedies.

If "Volume 2" follows as planned with 1934 - 1937, we'll see Vitaphones teaming him with (and outshining) Harry Gribbon and Roscoe Ates, plus his very effective & hilarious shorts with Daphne Pollard, and a couple solo-starring efforts.  Hopefully, we'll also get the 'Joe Palooka's... although he's not the title character, Shemp was the spotlighted star of those shorts.

Shemp Howard Solo Filmography

(1933's recently discovered GOBS OF FUN will be an out-of-sequence exception, assuming it's included, with Shemp in another funny bit role.)

Thanks Brent.  If there is a volume 2, I figured Shemp would be progressively featured more, but volume one shows he had very humble beginnings, shall we say.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

*Now listed on Amazon.com as . . .
"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."  [pie]

I must be one of the reasons why.  I just ordered my copy a few days ago.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I wouldn't be too alarmed. I remember seeing the same message on Amazon with Sony's MOD's last month.

Offline Paul Allen

Available December 17, 2013 . . .

$17.59 DeepDiscount.com >> http://www.deepdiscount.com/dvd/CHASECHARLEY-COLLECTION-CHARLEY-CHASE-COLLECTION-VOL-2

DeepDiscount.com  $17.59 + $1.99 shipping = $19.58

DeepDiscount's Tax Policy -
Orders shipped to the state of Illinois will be charged 6.25% sales tax. Orders shipped to the state of California will be charged 8% sales tax. Orders shipped to the state of Kentucky will be charged 6% sales tax.

For purchases shipping to Colorado, we are required to provide this notice and the described reports under Colorado law (HB 10-1193). 
The State of Colorado requires that a Colorado purchaser file a sales/use tax return at the end of the year reporting all of the purchases that were not taxed and pay tax on those purchases.

Offline falsealarms

Warner Archive, unlike several other outlets, is shipping the second volume of the Chase shorts.

I received a shipping notice from WA earlier today. My previous order via Barnes & Noble was cancelled; apparently it's not available through them now. Go figure.

Offline Paul Allen

My previous order via Barnes & Noble was cancelled; apparently it's not available through them now. Go figure.

That's strange, falsealarms!
After you posted the B&N link 2 days ago, I ordered from them and they emailed me the following...

" Thank you for shopping with us. Your order is scheduled to ship and the details are listed below.
We will send you an email confirmation as soon as your merchandise has shipped. As always, you will not be charged until
your order leaves our warehouse. "

falsealarms,
Just curious - What was your total cost ordering from Warner Archive?

Offline falsealarms

About $30, but I did two-day shipping. Would have been around $23 otherwise.

Offline healyhouston

From looking at the first Charley Chase Columbia DVD I see Jules Whites name is not listed anywhere.  Im getting the feeling Charley didn't like Jules?

Offline metaldams

From looking at the first Charley Chase Columbia DVD I see Jules Whites name is not listed anywhere.  Im getting the feeling Charley didn't like Jules?

I never heard of personal animosity, but then again, who knows?  What I do know is that the six shorts directed by Chase for the Stooges were produced by Chase along with Hugh McCollum.  It appears Chase worked with the McCollum unit the same way Del Lord and Ed Bernds did once White started directing shorts at Columbia.

Still waiting for my vol. 2, it's in the prepare to ship mode.  Hoping to get it by Wednesday, as I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing these.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

The first set of Charley Chase Columbia shorts was good.

The second was even better.

There were so many outstanding efforts on the second set that it's hard to pick just one favorite. But some of the better ones were FROM BAD TO WORSE (1937), CALLING ALL DOCTORS (1937), THE BIG SQUIRT (1937) and THE SAP TAKES A WRAP (1939). There was something to like in all 12, though.

Having now seen all of Chase's Columbia's, the worst of the lot is an easy choice for me - MAN BITES LOVEBUG (1937), which was slow and just not all that interesting. Chase's best Columbia short is a much harder choice because so many were good. I might have to go with FROM BAD TO WORSE, but there are several that could fit.

Offline metaldams

The first set of Charley Chase Columbia shorts was good.

The second was even better.

There were so many outstanding efforts on the second set that it's hard to pick just one favorite. But some of the better ones were FROM BAD TO WORSE (1937), CALLING ALL DOCTORS (1937), THE BIG SQUIRT (1937) and THE SAP TAKES A WRAP (1939). There was something to like in all 12, though.

Having now seen all of Chase's Columbia's, the worst of the lot is an easy choice for me - MAN BITES LOVEBUG (1937), which was slow and just not all that interesting. Chase's best Columbia short is a much harder choice because so many were good. I might have to go with FROM BAD TO WORSE, but there are several that could fit.

Well, they finally shipped my copy out today, so you have me looking forward to this more.  Will pitch in my thoughts when I watch all the films, and I plan to revisit volume 1 and watch them all in order of release.

I'm again thrilled the timing of this release coincides with us discussing the Chase directed Stooge shorts.  This should give an extra perspective when rewatching these films.
- Doug Sarnecky