Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

ROCKET, ROCKIN standalone - 9/2/13

Linked Events

• HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL on DVD: September 02, 2013 - September 08, 2013
  • ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES on DVD: September 02, 2013 - September 08, 2013

Offline falsealarms

On Sept. 2, Sony is scheduled to release standalone versions of HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL (1959) and ROCKIN IN THE ROCKIES (1945).

Barring a surprise, these will be MOD discs. Both should retail for around $20 each.

It will mark the third time those films have been released since mid-2012.

The first time was in June 2012, when both films were released on pressed disc as part of the 3-disc "Rare Treasures From The Columbia Pictures Vault" set.

The second time was when Sony re-issued that set through its MOD program in Jan. 2013.

Now the films will be released separately. Quite possibly the most pointless releases of the year.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/haverocketwilltravel/
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rockinintherockies/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:37:14 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline Larrys#1

$20 each for Rocket and Rockies is overpriced. You're better off just getting the Ultimate Collection set, even if you have to buy the shorts again. I believe I've seen the set on sale for as low as $30-40.

Offline mbruno

Now the films will be released separately. Quite possibly the most pointless releases of the year.

Actually, the standalone release of Have Rocket, Will Travel isn't completely pointless since, unlike all the other Curly-Joe stooge films, Have Rocket, Will Travel has never had a standalone DVD release.

This works well for me since Have Rocket, Will Travel was the only thing I was particularly interested in on the Rare Treasures From The Columbia Pictures Vault set, so now I'll be able get Have Rocket, Will Travel on DVD by itself( I do have it on VHS, but would prefer to have it on DVD). 

Offline JazzBill

( I do have it on VHS, but would prefer to have it on DVD).

I have all 190 shorts and a bunch of other stuff that I taped over the years on VHS. I would never get rid of any of it. It was a labor of love collecting all of it. I still play them because I read that if you want to keep your VHS tapes working, you have to play them every now and again. I don't know if this is true but I don't want to take chances.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline mbruno

I have all 190 shorts and a bunch of other stuff that I taped over the years on VHS. I would never get rid of any of it. It was a labor of love collecting all of it. I still play them because I read that if you want to keep your VHS tapes working, you have to play them every now and again. I don't know if this is true but I don't want to take chances.

Well, I wasn't planning on getting rid of my VHS copy of Have Rocket, Will Travel when I get it on DVD, I just want to get it on DVD to go along with the shorts and other stooge movies I have on DVD.  I still need to get The Three Stooges Meet Hercules, though.  Also, I don't know if I should bother with Snow White and The Three Stooges or not.

Offline JazzBill

Well, I wasn't planning on getting rid of my VHS copy of Have Rocket, Will Travel when I get it on DVD, I just want to get it on DVD to go along with the shorts and other stooge movies I have on DVD.  I still need to get The Three Stooges Meet Hercules, though.  Also, I don't know if I should bother with Snow White and The Three Stooges or not.

I know you didn't mention getting rid of your VHS tapes. When the new complete set started coming out some people mentioned they were thinking of selling some of there old stuff, I wasn't one of them. I don't care for Snow White DVD much myself, I still have it though. I figure like it or not, it's still part of the collection. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline locoboymakesgood

This works well for me since Have Rocket, Will Travel was the only thing I was particularly interested in on the Rare Treasures From The Columbia Pictures Vault set, so now I'll be able get Have Rocket, Will Travel on DVD by itself( I do have it on VHS, but would prefer to have it on DVD).
It might be arguable, but the best thing on the Rare Treasures set is by-far the solo Shemp shorts. Have Rocket is typical for the Curly-Joe era, but there's some real goodies on that set. It's a shame they're not offering it as a separate release besides the MOD version you can buy because it's a must-see for fans.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline mbruno

When the new complete set started coming out some people mentioned they were thinking of selling some of there old stuff, I wasn't one of them. 

Ah, ok, I wasn't aware of that.

Offline jwolf6589

What of the VHS versions???

On Sept. 2, Sony is scheduled to release standalone versions of HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL (1959) and ROCKIN IN THE ROCKIES (1945).

Barring a surprise, these will be MOD discs. Both should retail for around $20 each.

It will mark the third time those films have been released since mid-2012.

The first time was in June 2012, when both films were released on pressed disc as part of the 3-disc "Rare Treasures From The Columbia Pictures Vault" set.

The second time was when Sony re-issued that set through its MOD program in Jan. 2013.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/haverocketwilltravel/
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rockinintherockies/