Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Myrt And Marge

Offline archiezappa

I'm so excited about everything lately.  The New Three Stooges DVD set.  Hello Pop is no longer a lost film.  Amazing and totally awesome!

In thinking of that, I was wondering what the status is on the film "Myrt And Marge."  It's a Universal film, but do they own it?  I wonder if they would be interested in releasing it.  Based on the sales of all the other Stooge related DVD's, they should.

It's a great movie and the Stooges (with Ted Healy) get lots of screen time.  If you're a Stooge fan, you will not be disappointed in this film.  So, what can we do to get this released?

ThumpTheShoes

Release or, at least, play on tv, like on TCM. At least then we could get upgraded copies!  [cool]

Offline metaldams

My questions are:

1.). Who here has seen it?

2.). Is this worth watching beyond a completist point of view?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I have seen it.  I liked it a lot.  In fact, the only complaint I had about seeing it was that the audio/video needs to be restored.  It's one of the best movies that have the Stooges in supporting roles.  Besides the Stooges, it was a good movie.  Had a good story.  Well, let's put it this way:  You won't be fast-forwarding to just the Stooges' scenes.  You don't have to.  They are in most of the movie.

Offline metaldams

I have seen it.  I liked it a lot.  In fact, the only complaint I had about seeing it was that the audio/video needs to be restored.  It's one of the best movies that have the Stooges in supporting roles.  Besides the Stooges, it was a good movie.  Had a good story.  Well, let's put it this way:  You won't be fast-forwarding to just the Stooges' scenes.  You don't have to.  They are in most of the movie.

Then it sounds cool.  Making sure this would not be a MY SISTER EILEEN, which was a good film, but the boys were in it for 15 seconds.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Yes, I'm sure Universal still owns it. But although they've been very good at striking 35mm screening prints of 1930's rarities for festival screenings, they're not so good at making them available to TV (like TCM) or home video or DVD. So after the films have made the rounds at film festivals such as Cinefest, Cinecon, Capitolfest, Slapsticon or screenings at theaters like The Film Forum in NYC, it's back into the vaults and the films remain unavailable to all who are unable to attend the film screenings.

MYRT AND MARGE was shown twice on cable channel Cinemax back in December 1988 (and possibly at least once around the same period on some other Cinemax "sister station"). It was the movie's first time ever on TV and in fact, first time it was shown anywhere since 1933, never having been reissued or made available in any other format. Recognizing its rarity I made sure to record it both times on high quality video tapes which still look and sound great.

I agree it's a fun movie and should be seen by all Stooges and Healy fans.

Offline archiezappa

What if we got this movie to be shown in theaters again?  I wonder if we could garner some interest.  I would guess that if Universal thought they could make money off of it, they would release it.  They need to be reminded how much was made from all the other Three Stooges DVD's.

ThumpTheShoes

I've seen it and enjoyed it on its own merits-- it has a good story, loaded with fine players and the theme song will stay with you when it's over.

For the Stooge completist, we get to see a version of Ted Healy and His Stooges that has gelled perfectly. They hit a fine stride in this picture, blending more perfectly in the supporting cast than what we'd see in Dancing Lady. The Boys and Ted "Heel" are an integral part of the story rather than a comical interruption. Their interactions and personae are more clearly defined than what we've seen in the MGM shorts, even Beer and Pretzels, which I think was the most structured, typical comedy short they did as a foursome (fivesome including Bonny).

The whole picture runs about an hour, but it doesn't seem like it. The story is really quite engaging.

ThumpTheShoes

You can find the bootleg here

http://otrdvd.co/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=marge&product_id=425

The link says it is mastered from archival elements. 'Zat mean a copy of a vhs tape copied from Showtime, like everybody else's?!  :laugh:

Before anyone on this board buys another boot, please try the Swap Meet section right here at the DotNet. You'll probably find there's no need to line the pockets of bootleggers or risk losing credit card info to shady websites.

Offline Rich Finegan

The link says it is mastered from archival elements. 'Zat mean a copy of a vhs tape copied from Showtime...

As I noted above, it was Cinemax that ran MYRT AND MARGE (only twice back in 1988), not Showtime.

ThumpTheShoes

As I noted above, it was Cinemax that ran MYRT AND MARGE (only twice back in 1988), not Showtime.

[Imitating the Micky Dolenz stoned hippie voice] Yeah, right! HBO, right!

;)

Offline archiezappa

Like I've said, I've seen the bootleg version.  The one taped from Cinemax.  I'd like to see a fully restored version.  That would be great!  I just don't know what can be done to try to make this happen.  Any ideas?

Offline Squirrelbait

Like I've said, I've seen the bootleg version.  The one taped from Cinemax.  I'd like to see a fully restored version.  That would be great!  I just don't know what can be done to try to make this happen.  Any ideas?

Any way we could start a petition?

Speaking of which, What other movies with Stooge cameos are still missing from DVD?
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline luke795

Speaking of which, What other movies with Stooge cameos are still missing from DVD?
[/quote]

Turn Back The Clock, Fugitive Lovers, and Start Cheering.

Offline locoboymakesgood

The home video market for catalog titles is really drying up. Someone had the Stooges relevant scenes from Myrt & Marge posted on YouTube awhile back but its since been taken down. It had to have been sourced from the 1988 Cinemax airing.

Justin T hooked me up with a copy about 6 or so years ago. If you haven't seen it, try the Swap Meet like Thump suggested. Or just ask me nicely. :)
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Perhaps Universal needs to have their own MOD-DVD service or something.  That would be perfect for "Myrt And Marge" as well as other titles.  Can they be convinced?

Offline Kopfy2013

Loco:

Can I please borrow a copy, please??  :-\ :D

Is this nice enough?
Niagara Falls

Offline locoboymakesgood

Perhaps Universal needs to have their own MOD-DVD service or something.  That would be perfect for "Myrt And Marge" as well as other titles.  Can they be convinced?
I'm actually surprised haven't jumped on to the MOD bandwagon. Sony is letting WB manufacture their stuff, so who knows.
Loco:

Can I please borrow a copy, please??  :-\ :D

Is this nice enough?
PM me.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

I'm actually surprised haven't jumped on to the MOD bandwagon. Sony is letting WB manufacture their stuff, so who knows.

That's actually a great idea.  If Universal would strike a similar deal with WB, that would definitely work.  Who do we have to moider?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sony is letting WB manufacture their stuff.

A misleading statement.  WB does not manufacture Sony's products.

Ref:  Sony "Choice Collection" MOD
Sony's MOD ("Choice Collection") is managed by Sony.  Sony selects the Columbia titles to be released and does the marketing (what little there is).  They distribute their titles thru various online outlets, including Amazon.com and Warner Archive.  Rather than run its own dedicated MOD website, Sony has an arrangement with Warner Archive to carry its titles; WB is only an online retailer for the Sony MODs.

Ref: "TCM Vault Collection"
Sony (and Universal) have partnered with WB's Turner Classic Movies division to distribute box sets of some of their films.  They're sold [initially] exclusively thru ShopTCM.  The respective studios choose/provide the films, and partner with TCM/Warner for packaging and distribution.

Perhaps Universal needs to have their own MOD-DVD service or something.

Universal had one, and abandoned it over a year ago, the "Universal Vault Series."  Currently, they primarily run their classic catalog titles thru the aforementioned "TCM Vault Collection," in an very limited program.