Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

NEW 3 STOOGES (1965) Complete Cartoon Collection, 10/15/13

BeAStooge · 59 · 33912

Linked Events

• NEW 3 STOOGES Complete Cartoon Collection on DVD: October 15, 2013 - October 21, 2013

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
TVShowsonDVD reports that Image/Madacy will release all 156 NEW 3 STOOGES (1965) cartoons in a 5-DVD collection on October 15, 2013.

Click link above for more information.

Available for ordering at Amazon.com

From TVShowsonDVD...
THE NEW THREE STOOGES featured animated cartoons with the voices of Stooges Larry, Moe and Curly Joe, as well as real footage 'wraparounds' of the three burlesque greats performing short skits to accompany the cartoons. Now, for the first time ever, this collection features all 156 cartoons, plus all 40 live action sequences in the 52 22-minute episodes as they originally aired. Perfect for collectors as well as the entire family, this special embossed package also includes a BONUS CD featuring 10 kids singalong songs and 10 Christmas songs performed by the Stooges.

The New Three Stooges - Complete Cartoon Collection is coming from Image Madacy Entertainment (a part of RLJ Entertainment), and it will be available on October 15th. The 5-disc set (with the aforementioned Bonus Full-Length CD with Sing-a-Long and Christmas Songs) will cost $29.98 SRP. Here's the packaging.

ThumpTheShoes

Please please please Image/Madacy don't screw this up! Don't make this look like the public domain sets. Don't make it look like old Embassy tape dubs.

I have all 156 on disc already and I'm still excited about this news! Just please let this work out right!!

Nonfaded wraps and Super Everybody with proper colour?! You bet I'm all over this! I want it nowwwwwww!!

Offline ProfessorStooge

Another piece of spectacular news. I will definitely be adding this to my Stooge DVD library when it comes out.

Offline metaldams

This actually is good news.  Whatever you think of this era, these are legit Stooge releases that deserve to be out there.  As a kid, the line where Moe refers to Derita as the "perfect 48-52-48" is the first time I ever heard body measurements mentioned like that.  I swear, my first Playboy centerfold I look at as a pre-teen and my literal thought was, "So THAT'S what Moe meant!"
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline dirwuf

Those cover photos were obviously not all taken at the same time...the Moe and Larry ones look like they could be from the 30's.

Offline Larrys#1

This hit me by surprise because I've given up hope that we'll ever see all the cartoons on DVD due to low demand. Glad to know I was wrong. I love these cartoons. Can't wait til October! $30 is a such bargain too for all the cartoons.....

Offline archiezappa

This is awesome!  I had no idea they were going to release this!  I can't wait!

Offline Paul Allen

45th Anniversary Collection (Printed at top of box)

Was this DVD set perhaps originally intended for release in 2010? 1965-2010 (45 years)

Offline archiezappa

45th Anniversary Collection (Printed at top of box)

Was this DVD set perhaps originally intended for release in 2010? 1965-2010 (45 years)

Yeah, I noticed that as well.  I guess they just rounded off!

Offline Paul Allen

I wonder exactly which songs will be on the bonus cd ?

Kids sing-along songs... Which 10 of these? -
The Alphabet Song 
Old MacDonald Had A Farm 
Play A Simple Melody
Click Dart's Bandstand 
The Children's Marching Song   
Let's Cut A Record 
Three Chipped Monks 
At The Baseball Game   
The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down   
Two Little Birdies 
Three Little Fishies   
Sing Along With Moe 
The Concert
Mairzy Doats
Chickery Chick
Aba Daba Honeymoon
Peggy O'Neil
Go Tell Aunt Mary
Give Thanks
Goodbye, Auld Lang Syne!       

Christmas songs... maybe -
1. Wreck The Halls With Boughs of Holly
2. We're Coming to Your Home 
3. The Toy Store 
4. I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas 
5. Jingle Bell Drag 
6. At the Circus (Part 1) 
7. At the Circus (Part 2) 
8. All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth 
9. Down Through the Housetop 
10. I Got a Cold for Christmas 

Offline fearlessfrizzletop

Just a guess, but my money's on the ten NOT on NONSENSE SONGBOOK...

Click Dart's Bandstand 
Let's Cut A Record 
Three Chipped Monks 
At The Baseball Game     
Sing Along With Moe 
The Concert
Go Tell Aunt Mary
Goodbye, Auld Lang Syne!   
+
We're Coming To Your House
At The Circus

In other words, MADCAP MUSICAL NONSENSE AT YOUR HOUSE (available on iTunes at at amazon.com as a download):

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/madcap-musical-nonsense-at/id566548867

http://www.amazon.com/Madcap-Musical-Nonsense-Your-House/dp/B009JCI48A

Offline Paul Allen

According to the company's website, they seem to think these cartoons were produced in 1969.
Very strange that they wouldn't know better. So they think 2014 will be the 45th anniversary of these cartoons! [pie]

On Wikipedia I read that there were actually 41 wrap around sequences produced --

" 41 live action sequences were executively produced by cartoonist Norman Maurer...
The pilot cartoon, "That Little Old Bomb Maker," featured a unique live-action wrap around that was not reused on other cartoons.
"

-- So does anyone know why the unique (once used) live-action wrap around short isn't included on the new set?

Offline mbruno

Cool, I'd been hoping to see some sort of set like this.  I'll have to pick it up when it comes out.

Offline moglia

Very strange that they wouldn't know better. So they think 2014 will be the 45th anniversary of these cartoons! [pie]

On Wikipedia I read that there were actually 41 wrap around sequences produced --

" 41 live action sequences were executively produced by cartoonist Norman Maurer...
The pilot cartoon, "That Little Old Bomb Maker," featured a unique live-action wrap around that was not reused on other cartoons.
"

-- So does anyone know why the unique (once used) live-action wrap around short isn't included on the new set?

How do you know it isn't included?

Offline archiezappa

How do you know it isn't included?

It's probably included, but not listed on the cover.  The same thing happened to me with The Monkees Season Two box set.  The front cover says "includes all 25 episodes," but there were 26 episodes in season two.  Yes, it did include all 26 episodes.  This is probably the case with this set as well.

Offline Paul Allen

According to the company's website, they seem to think these cartoons were produced in 1969.

http://www.watchimage.com/product/new-three-stooges-complete-cartoon-collection-the/eb6c814b-a6a0-e211-97c7-020045490004
They've changed the info on the "watch-image" website now to read as follows -

Synopsis: THE NEW THREE STOOGES premiered in 1965 and featured animated cartoons with the voices of the Stooges – Larry, Moe and Curly Joe –  as well as real footage 'wraparounds' of the three comedy greats performing short skits to accompany the cartoons. Now, for the first time ever and marking the 49th  anniversary of the show, this collection features all 156 cartoons, plus all 40 live action sequences exactly as they originally aired. Perfect for collectors as well as the entire family, this special embossed package also includes a BONUS CD featuring 12 kids sing-along songs and 11 Christmas songs performed by the Stooges.

However: Amazon.com now shows the back of the box, and it incorrectly reads as follows -
" The New Three Stooges premiered in 1969... "
>> http://www.amazon.com/New-Three-Stooges-Complete-Collection/dp/B00DRQETNI/ref=sr_1_18?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1378677438&sr=1-18&keywords=the+three+stooges

The back of the box also reads - "... includes a BONUS CD featuring 23 songs performed by the Stooges."

But what are we to believe?! The two cd covers they show would only contain 19 total songs... according to Amazon.com
>> http://www.amazon.com/Sing-Long-The-Three-Stooges/dp/B004H1UGPC/ref=pd_sim_m_2
>> http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Time-Three-Stooges/dp/B004LLIUF6/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1378679821&sr=1-4&keywords=the+three+stooges

[pie]

ThumpTheShoes

Offline falsealarms

Familyvideo.com currently has this for a $12.99 pre-order.... about half of the current Amazon price.

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=422215

That price is subject to change.

Offline Paul Allen

Familyvideo.com currently has this for a $12.99 pre-order.... about half of the current Amazon price.

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=422215

That price is subject to change.

Thank you for the heads-up, falsealarms!
I just ordered 2 sets...  12.99 + 12.99 + 1.99 shipping = Only $27.97 for 2 sets! [cool]

ThumpTheShoes

I'm hoping this thing will be at least as good as the Rhino discs. They looked good, mostly. Sound? Not so great-- too much muffled dialogue. But those transfers had a pleasing color saturation, and the live-action stuff looked better than I'd seen up to that point. I've had these things on vhs, dvd, film.. some good, some downright purple they were so faded. I want this set to be really good but I have a nagging feeling that something will be wrong.

Flash back to 2005 with this frame grab:

Genius Entertainment's Bazooka Classic Bubble Toons dvd

What if it is like what you see above? Or, like the faded, edited prints used in the Giant Cartoon pd collections. What about dropped frames, horizontally distorted picture, lousy encoding and sound sync issues like the last Madacy sets? Recent collections that have copied the toons from previous discs have also done this faux aspect-ratio thing as, presumably, an attempt to mask copying artifacts at the top, bottom and sides of the screen. Even through the window-boxing, some artifacts remain, like blue/green video noise on either side of the picture, video dropouts and other defects.

For the few of us that give a flying, post-Mexican Buffet-style shit, I hope this release is exemplary in its presentation. I know it will, at least, make for another interesting image comparison project and, maybe, a little look back at the good and not-so-good pd releases.

Offline Larrys#1

Amazon had it for around $20 a few months back, but it went up and never dropped. I didn't pre-order at the time because I needed an extra $5 to qualify for free shipping, so I missed out on the good deal.

I'm also curious as to how good the quality will be. If someone could post some screenshots, I'd be extremely grateful...

Offline Mark The Shark

I'm hoping this thing will be at least as good as the Rhino discs. They looked good, mostly. Sound? Not so great-- too much muffled dialogue. But those transfers had a pleasing color saturation, and the live-action stuff looked better than I'd seen up to that point. I've had these things on vhs, dvd, film.. some good, some downright purple they were so faded. I want this set to be really good but I have a nagging feeling that something will be wrong.

Flash back to 2005 with this frame grab:

Genius Entertainment's Bazooka Classic Bubble Toons dvd

What if it is like what you see above? Or, like the faded, edited prints used in the Giant Cartoon pd collections. What about dropped frames, horizontally distorted picture, lousy encoding and sound sync issues like the last Madacy sets? Recent collections that have copied the toons from previous discs have also done this faux aspect-ratio thing as, presumably, an attempt to mask copying artifacts at the top, bottom and sides of the screen. Even through the window-boxing, some artifacts remain, like blue/green video noise on either side of the picture, video dropouts and other defects.

For the few of us that give a flying, post-Mexican Buffet-style shit, I hope this release is exemplary in its presentation. I know it will, at least, make for another interesting image comparison project and, maybe, a little look back at the good and not-so-good pd releases.

Madacy does not have a good reputation (but now since they merged with Image Entertainment -- sort of like if M-G-M merged with Monogram -- things might be looking up). Madacy was responsible for this DVD set:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Curly-Joe-deRita/dp/B001H29F24/ref=sr_1_8?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1381407472&sr=1-8&keywords=three+stooges+collector%27s+edition

the fourth disc of which consists of The New 3 Stooges cartoons, picking up where the Rhino DVDs left off and the same mastering. According to my notes, it starts with #33 (Peter Panic/Sweepstakes Ticket) and goes through #48 (Bridge On The River Cry/Decorators) skipping #36. (I'll have to check that.) The Rhino mastering was pretty decent but I recall the titles being a little out of focus, featuring a superimposed copyright notice, and the distributor name spliced out of the film during the end credits (which in some cases threw the sound out of sync towards the end.) But these were clearly officially licensed releases and they were better than the average public domain dollar DVD.

The one thing that concerns me is the skipped cartoons (on the Rhino DVDs as well as the one detailed above). Since this is to be a complete collection I hope that won't be an issue, but we'll see.

EDIT: I checked back on the Madacy DVD and found it actually skips three cartoons:

#36 (Hair Of The Bear/Doctors)
#39 (Watt's My Lion/Athletes)
#44 (The First In Lion/Melodrama)

Also I noticed that in the two cases where the Rhino DVDs skipped a cartoon, they substitute a different cartoon that has the same live-action wraparounds as the one it replaced.

On Volume #1:

#153 (The Chicken Delivery Boys/Decorators) replaces #12 (The Classical Clinker/Decorators)

And on Volume #2:

#143 (Droll Weevil/Caretakers) replaces #21 (Stop Dragon Around/Caretakers)

Could mean something, could mean nothing. Anyway, we'll know what's what in a week or so...