Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Punch Drunks (1934)

metaldams · 51 · 18961

Can we all agree that Arthur Houseman is, as usual, great in this?  And without the drunk act, and without saying a word, unless you count "Nyaaaahhhh" as a word.  What a face.

Offline metaldams

Can we all agree that Arthur Houseman is, as usual, great in this?  And without the drunk act, and without saying a word, unless you count "Nyaaaahhhh" as a word.  What a face.

Yes he is, and it's a shame he did not appear with The Stooges more.  This also may be a rare occasion where he plays a sober character, good point.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Yes he is, and it's a shame he did not appear with The Stooges more.  This also may be a rare occasion where he plays a sober character, good point.

He (Arthur Housman) was actually quite good at playing gangsters, speakesy owners, etc.
And I agree it's our loss that he didn't work more with The Stooges. But we do have all those great Laurel & Hardy & Housman films, and he worked especially well with the team of Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly (Roach shorts BABES IN THE GOODS, DONE IN OIL and TREASURE BLUES are recommended for Housman fans).

Offline falsealarms

There probably aren't many Stooge fans who don't enjoy PUNCH DRUNKS. It's one of the classics. The location filming on Larchmont is plus for me. I always enjoy location shooting in these old shorts and it's regrettable the practice didn't last long with the Stooges.

It's too bad we didn't see more of Dorothy Granger, a long-time supporting actress for various comedians. She only appeared in one other Stooges short, TERMITES OF 1938. She did appear in three of DeRita's four Columbia solo shorts.

I echo the sentiments on Housman.

Offline metaldams

It's too bad we didn't see more of Dorothy Granger, a long-time supporting actress for various comedians. She only appeared in one other Stooges short, TERMITES OF 1938. She did appear in three of DeRita's four Columbia solo shorts.

She was rather fortunate it wasn't a Newfoundland dog that bit her.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

He (Arthur Housman) was actually quite good at playing gangsters, speakesy owners, etc.
And I agree it's our loss that he didn't work more with The Stooges. But we do have all those great Laurel & Hardy & Housman films, and he worked especially well with the team of Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly (Roach shorts BABES IN THE GOODS, DONE IN OIL and TREASURE BLUES are recommended for Housman fans).

Housman was great at Hal Roach, I agree.

He also played a good role in SUNRISE, one of the great silent dramas, of all films!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Is there anyone that prefers the remake, the 1945 Shemp Columbia solo A HIT WITH A MISS?

The solo Shemp offering is a worthy contender, but I have to side with the original in this case.

Offline hiramhorwitz

I like the scene when after being pushed in the water, it takes Moe and Curly a couple minutes to find Larry on his head in the water. After he gets pulled out of the water Larry pulls that fish out his jacket. I swear that looks like a real fish and not one of them cheap props they used most of the time.
Definitely a memorable scene.  Memorable to Larry Fine, too, who chronicled it in Stroke of Luck, p. 259-260.  In Larry's words:

"While making the film short Punch Drunks, there was a scene where Moe and I were standing alongside of a waterfront, and I was playing the violin, while waiting for Curly's train to arrive.  While playing, Moe and I have an argument and he grabs the violin from me and throws it in the water.  At the spot where Moe is to throw the violin, they had dug out a deeper hole under the water, and that spot became very soft and muddy.  As I jump in the water, face down, to retrieve my violin, I sink in the soft muddy spot all the way up to my elbows.  The director hollers, "Cut! Okay Larry, get out of the water."  I couldn't, as I was stuck, sinking in deeper and drowning; they pulled me out half drowned!  As if this wasn't enough, the director gets the idea to repeat the same scene, but now they raise my head out of the water; they wanted me to emerge with a live frog on top of my head.  They plant a large frog on my head, and as I lift my head out of the water, the frog is slipping off, and it would dig deeper into my scalp in order not to fall off, thereby scratching hell out of the top of my head and I bled profusely.  Ironically, after going through these two hectic scenes, they decide to cut them out of the film!!"

Based on Larry's description of the frog incident, is there any doubt that the fish in the final version of the film was real?

Offline JWF

One of my favorite stooge shorts....though one thing always bothered me....how did Larry know that "Pop Goes The Weasel" drove Curly nuts?    The implication in the short is that  none of the Stooges actually knew each other beforehand.

Just wonderin'....

Offline metaldams

One of my favorite stooge shorts....though one thing always bothered me....how did Larry know that "Pop Goes The Weasel" drove Curly nuts?    The implication in the short is that  none of the Stooges actually knew each other beforehand.

Just wonderin'....

I always made the assumption Larry just thought it fit the occasion of Curly being slapped around and by coincidence Curly goes mad.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
how did Larry know that "Pop Goes The Weasel" drove Curly nuts?

I always made the assumption Larry just thought it fit the occasion of Curly being slapped around and by coincidence Curly goes mad.

That's always been my take on it, too.  Larry plays a livelier tune than he was originally playing because of what was going on, and it just happens to be the one that sends Curly into berserker mode.   ;)

Offline Kopfy2013

Not much more to say. Great posts. This is definitely in my top 10% of episodes.... Running down Larchmont ... Lost my ba-lance,  excellent
Niagara Falls

Offline Mr. Umpchay

There are so many great things that I love about this short. Many of you have mentioned the great bits. My favorite bit is the interaction between the Gumball Kid (Harry Watson) and the timekeeper (Houseman). The plot is hilarious. I love any short where Curly goes berserk because of something random like "Pop Goes the Weasel".

The beginning of the second scene with Curly sweating while rowing, the view moving to Moe barking out orders, then to Larry playing a dramatic tune on the violin is just hilarious. I love the contrast between the nicely dressed violinist and the sweaty, "musclebound" boxer ("Ohh, you're in great shape, K.O.") and the violin music versus Moe's barking. "I lost my ba-LANCE." is one of my favorite Stooge quotes. I have actually used it several times myself, then my wife gives me the works. I doubt I'll ever have an opportunity to use "Give K.O. a couple a bars of 'Weasel'", another one of my favorites. That is such a bizarre, funny sentence.

Larry running up and down the street with his hair going everywhere, and Curly talking to his mother through the spit funnel thingy just makes me laugh every time I see it. I just don't find anything weak in this short. It is solid and in my top 5. 10 pokes.

Moe chewing on the broccoli? I thought that was just a sponge.

The restaurant manager (Chuck Callahan) giving Curly the works is excellent. I can't recall anyone other than Moe getting to slap him around that much in a scene. Callahan is great in that role.

Offline metaldams

Moe chewing on the broccoli? I thought that was just a sponge.

You know, I always thought broccoli, which is a really funny idea, but I guess in the setting of a boxing match a sponge makes more sense.  Next time I watch PUNCH DRUNKS I'll pay extra special attention to that part.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeatleShemp

A classic that I feel should have been the first Three Stooges short. I have been off the boards for several months now, but I would have also summed up Dunrobin's observation: "From now on we're a corporation." It's such an iconic line to this Stooges fan. So many gags originated in this film. So many little things crack me up in this short, one little bit is when Larry is trying to impress the lady in the car, he brushes his hair a little before playing his violin. Such a funny short.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
This short is a classic too.  That Pop Goes the Weasel that Larry plays sure is catchy!
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Beats most other Stooge shorts as far as having a plot, and almost certainly beats all of them as far as having suspense.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Incredible short.  All has been said!  10/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Larrys#1

This is a good episode... in fact, it's very good that it masks Curly's undeveloped character. Notice he uses his real voice in this episode and doesn't utter a single "nyuk." But he still carries on well and the story is very good. This is one of several episodes where Curly goes wild over something. Funny how they never did it with Shemp; only in his solo films. Larry gets a good amount of screen time and this is one episode where he really shows his musical talent with the violin.

Curly goes wild over the Pop Goes the Weasel tune and wins several boxing matches because of it. But then Curly accidentally breaks the violin and Larry goes crazy finding some kind of radio that plays the tune. He finds a truck playing the tune, steals the truck and crashes into the boxing match. Then Curly goes really wild and knocks everyone out, including Moe and Larry. What chaos!!

For a second episode, this is very good.

9.5/10

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Yup - more Brandenburg stuff; I know Chet is one of Kilduff's corner men, but is Ed Brandenburg the fella Larry knocks down in the street when he runs to the match with the radio?

Also, how positively attractive and fantastic is Dorothy Granger? Not just in this short, but in general! And yes, this is a fantastic short - one of my early favorites.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Dr. Mabuse

One of my all-time favorites and the first Stooge classic. "Punch Drunks" delivers a comic knockout, with the team's immortal characterizations firmly in place. It makes "Woman Haters" look like a glorified audition film. Nice to see Arthur Housman sober for a change.

In 2002, "Punch Drunks" was selected for preservation in the Library of Congress' National Film Registry — the only Stooge film to receive that distinction. Hopefully, a few more shorts will be considered for future honors.

9/10
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:01:41 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Allen Champion

Two shorts in, and the Stooges have arrived!   Moe is the surly boss, Larry the genial middleman, and Curly the wacky patsy who inhabits a world of his own.

The plot is perfect for the Stooge Universe:  The Boys are misfits at war with a hostile universe, Curly has a strange but exploitable quirk, and only being inept as only the Stooges can will spoil the plan!

Damn, 188 shorts to go and already The Boys have made what might be the best of all of them! [3stooges]
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Watching PUNCH DRUNKS for the first time since a few years prior to my review... it is just an incredible short start to finish.  There is so much teamwork, and here because the Stooges are all in their characters more-or-less as they created them it gives a strong chemistry among them.  Everything is so much smoother and clearly a bit more... vaudevillian than their other shorts.  The slaps and eye pokes clearly have that stage chemistry as opposed to the exaggerated reactions given in years to come.  I would say it's a different feeling, but just as good of one as we see in later shorts. 

Moe is definitely supposed to be chewing a sponge.  Back then, in breaks between rounds, they would use sponges to rub the fighter with cold water to help him cool off.

Chuck Callahan and Arthur Housman both definitely deserve praise for their roles, but for me the highlight is that shot of Larry running down the street at night.  It's the perfect climax to this film.  Thank God for PUNCH DRUNKS.

I have four more words for this one: F*** the Hollywood unions.  They screw up more stuff than they make right.
#1 fire kibitzer