• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline metaldams

Surprised this is it for Andy.  I know he made a lot more and shows a lot more of these need to be made available.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Surprised this is it for Andy.  I know he made a lot more and shows a lot more of these need to be made available.

Spot on.  He made over 90 shorts (although it was only 2-4 per year in the late 40s and in the 50s), but only two shorts in the 1947-1956 period are available, and so many of them are lost (as you can see in the master sheet).  Not enough interest in comics like he and Hugh Herbert to ever get those shorts repaired and released profitably.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
This week we dish out Paul Pain's trademarked expression with The Mischief Makers in KIDS WILL BE KIDS: https://moronika.com/forums/index.php?topic=6958
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This week we dish out Paul Pain's trademarked expression with The Mischief Makers in KIDS WILL BE KIDS: https://moronika.com/forums/index.php?topic=6958

Oh Lord!  I saw that one years ago.  Has the reputation for being the worst Columbia short ever - and that’s saying something.  I’ll revisit it soon and post.

I need to get my ass in gear and keep busy.  I decided starting with the new year I’m going to be doing weekly comedy reviews again.  I will be going back and forth between the Harold Lloyd two and three reelers and Chaplin’s Mutual shorts.  Now I’ve already reviewed Lloyd’s BUMPING INTO BROADWAY and Chaplin’s ONE A.M. but I will do the other shorts.  That will last me 23 weeks and after that I’ll figure out what to do from there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Merry Christmas!  This week we get another lump of coal in the form of FRESH AS A FRESHMAN from the Glove Slingers series: https://moronika.com/forums/index.php?topic=6959
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the Columbia journey, Paul. You did an excellent job. Were you planning on doing anything else, or are you going to take a break for a while?

I will catch up on the final two shorts you posted in a bit.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Thanks for the Columbia journey, Paul. You did an excellent job. Were you planning on doing anything else, or are you going to take a break for a while?

I will catch up on the final two shorts you posted in a bit.

I plan on taking a week off and seeing if any other Columbia's have cropped up.  If not, I might move into some other features of interest: contemporary RKO comedies with familiar casts, Educational shorts of people we've discussed, maybe even silent Chase and Langdon shorts/features.  All depends on availability.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I plan on taking a week off and seeing if any other Columbia's have cropped up.  If not, I might move into some other features of interest: contemporary RKO comedies with familiar casts, Educational shorts of people we've discussed, maybe even silent Chase and Langdon shorts/features.  All depends on availability.
Has the Edgar Kennedy RKO series ever been given a release? That's one I'd like to see.

Offline metaldams

Silent stuff, mid twenties and earlier, is all public domain.  There’s enough shorts on YouTube to last a lifetime.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Silent stuff, mid twenties and earlier, is all public domain.  There’s enough shorts on YouTube to last a lifetime.
With the Charley Chase silents on YouTube and the talkies being on DVD that’s a series we could go through. If possible I could start reviews for them (also the Mabel Normand shorts, as I want to watch those).

Offline metaldams

With the Charley Chase silents on YouTube and the talkies being on DVD that’s a series we could go through. If possible I could start reviews for them (also the Mabel Normand shorts, as I want to watch those).

If you ever want to start reviews on Chase or anyone else, go ahead.  We can have a free for all between the three of us.  You’ll drive yourself nuts if you try to watch Mabel Normand in order.  She made films weekly at Keystone, co-starred with so many different people and so many of those films are lost or unavailable.  With her, I’d just watch and/or review her films piecemeal.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I honestly don't know about the Edgar Kennedy shorts.  Based on description, I don't think I'd enjoy those much if at all.  It sounds like a sequence of in-law abuse trash like we saw in Andy Clyde.

I'm sure I will have something in two weeks time!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Review for Harold Lloyd’s CAPTAIN KIDD’S KID (1919) is now up.  The Harold Lloyd Estate provides quality prints with great scores for these shorts on YouTube.  It’s from their official channel.  If you haven’t done so already check out BUMPING INTO BROADWAY, which I have already reviewed a while back.  That is the first film in the series, this newly reviewed short being the second.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php?topic=6969.new#new
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

For you guys who haven’t watched and/or commented on Bumping Into Broadway.  Here’s the link.  I again highly suggest that one first, as it’s the first short in the series.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6758.0.html
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Have you decided on a series yet Paul? I'm planning on starting Charley Chase's Roach silents next week. I can start the threads if you're planning on covering something else.

Offline metaldams

Have you decided on a series yet Paul? I'm planning on starting Charley Chase's Roach silents next week. I can start the threads if you're planning on covering something else.

Do you own any Chase DVD’s or are you going by YouTube?  Also, where are you starting?  Roach or pre-Roach?  Chase starred in a few Sennett shorts early on but also made brief appearances in tons of films where he wasn’t a star.  The early stuff can get confusing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Do you own any Chase DVD’s or are you going by YouTube?  Also, where are you starting?  Roach or pre-Roach?  Chase starred in a few Sennett shorts early on but also made brief appearances in tons of films where he wasn’t a star.  The early stuff can get confusing.
I was going by the films listed by Leonard Maltin, which start in 1924. I'll be watching the silents on YouTube, and the sound films on DVD.

Offline metaldams

I was going by the films listed by Leonard Maltin, which start in 1924. I'll be watching the silents on YouTube, and the sound films on DVD.

Nice.  1924 would definitely be Roach, so that’s good.
- Doug Sarnecky