Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 177538

Pasco County is north of Tampa, right?  I've seen it on Cops, but I never have figured out quite where it is.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Pasco County is north of Tampa, right?  I've seen it on Cops, but I never have figured out quite where it is.

Yep!  It's the county immediately north of Tampa!  So, there're about 3 and a half hours between us!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

My Aunt is in Boca Raton.  She lost cable, power and wi-fi but and lost some shingles but is OK.  My nephew lives in the western part of a Florida and did not get effected.

Crazy stuff happening, hope things get normal sooner than later.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Yeah, things are normal.  Get ready for THE LOVE NEST review; I probably will do it this evening.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Should be another two-fer weekend with reviewing.  Damn work schedule is tiring me to do it this week.  Looking forward to both films and especially starting the features.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I would eventually love to do the MGM and Educational shorts too, assuming Umbrella Sam has access and can participate.  I have an idea where I'd review those and have a way to keep Paul active too, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. We have time to plan this out.

Umbrella Sam, I'm assuming you have access to the MGM and Educational shorts, right?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I would eventually love to do the MGM and Educational shorts too, assuming Umbrella Sam has access and can participate.  I have an idea where I'd review those and have a way to keep Paul active too, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. We have time to plan this out.

Umbrella Sam, I'm assuming you have access to the MGM and Educational shorts, right?

I have access to the Educational shorts and will be able to rent some of the MGM features.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

I can get many of the Educational shorts on YouTube.  Last week, I asked if folks wanted to do the Educationals, and no one answered!  If you're looking for a new project, feel free to take over that phase.  Columbia's are mine though!  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Paul, I'm curious. Assuming you own a TV, do you have both cable and DVR? On Wednesday, they're showing Keaton films on TCM to celebrate his birthday and several of them are his MGM films.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Paul, I'm curious. Assuming you own a TV, do you have both cable and DVR? On Wednesday, they're showing Keaton films on TCM to celebrate his birthday and several of them are his MGM films.

No  [cry]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Hoping for a two fer this Sunday/Monday.  After next week, my schedule should be fairly normal again.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Hoping Sunday will be a two fer, and hopefully after this will be on schedule with reviews. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

We only have three more films to go until we get to the end of Keaton's independent run and into MGM.  Of the MGM features, just two, SPEAK EASILY and PARLOR BEDROOM AND BATH are public domain and should be viewable on YouTube?  At least with those two, we should get all three of us participating.  The others?  Well, the way I want to do it is the week after STEAMBOAT BILL, JR.; I'll dive right into THE CAMERAMAN (an absolute must see), and go into the other MGM features, and if Paul wants to start the Educationals or Columbias the same week I start the MGM's, I think that would work out.  It would be a shame to mostly ignore the MGM period.  What do you guys think?

....and if you're willing to spend about thirty dollars, here's a link to a DVD set which has the first three MGM features, audio commentaries, and a documentary about the MGM years.  A fantastic set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00049QQ78/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i4?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00049QQ78&pd_rd_r=38cd9759-c886-11e7-9821-4b13dd402765&pd_rd_w=b7mxV&pd_rd_wg=eEkRo&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=CAAW7BTREMP17KHX4PRR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

We only have three more films to go until we get to the end of Keaton's independent run and into MGM.  Of the MGM features, just two, SPEAK EASILY and PARLOR BEDROOM AND BATH are public domain and should be viewable on YouTube?  At least with those two, we should get all three of us participating.  The others?  Well, the way I want to do it is the week after STEAMBOAT BILL, JR.; I'll dive right into THE CAMERAMAN (an absolute must see), and go into the other MGM features, and if Paul wants to start the Educationals or Columbias the same week I start the MGM's, I think that would work out.  It would be a shame to mostly ignore the MGM period.  What do you guys think?

....and if you're willing to spend about thirty dollars, here's a link to a DVD set which has the first three MGM features, audio commentaries, and a documentary about the MGM years.  A fantastic set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00049QQ78/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i4?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00049QQ78&pd_rd_r=38cd9759-c886-11e7-9821-4b13dd402765&pd_rd_w=b7mxV&pd_rd_wg=eEkRo&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=CAAW7BTREMP17KHX4PRR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop
Sounds like a good idea to me. Some of the MGM films are available on iTunes, so the only one I may have to get ahead of time is THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER. I'm curious if we're also planning on talking about those three foreign features he did, as well as his later independent shorts? I'd love to talk about THE RAILRODDER.

Offline metaldams

Sounds like a good idea to me. Some of the MGM films are available on iTunes, so the only one I may have to get ahead of time is THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER. I'm curious if we're also planning on talking about those three foreign features he did, as well as his later independent shorts? I'd love to talk about THE RAILRODDER.

Post Columbia is difficult to sort out.  As far the foreign films, I've only seen and own one of them.  Should hunt the other down if possible, but I'd do those as well if I can get them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Post-Columbia is really tough.  FILM is hard to find, but THE RAILRODDER is everywhere.  Even the Educational's aren't guaranteed to be online. 

I'm up for doing the shorts while metaldams leads the MGM features.
#1 fire kibitzer

FILM used to be on YouTube, I saw it numerous times, but that was years ago.  It's gone now?

Offline metaldams

OK, we have one more independent feature to go, and then the MGM films. Here's the list:

THE CAMERAMAN
SPITE MARRIAGE
FREE AND EASY
DOUGHBOYS
PARLOR, BEDROOM AND BATH *
SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK
THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER
SPEAK EASILY *
WHAT! NO BEER?

* means public domain and should be able to view on YouTube.  For the others, which ones do you have access to?Umbrella Sam, from your comments I gather you've seen THE CAMERAMAN but not SPITE MARRIAGE.

As far as the three post MGM foreign features, I've only seen THE INVADER, which I own and can review.  The other two?  Never have seen them and don't know where to hunt down copies with English subtitles!  Yes, they're foreign language.  If I can hunt down reviewable copies, I'll also review them.

Obviously, Paul can continue with Educational and/or Columbia shorts while I tackle the features, but I'm thinking some reviews of mine may get no reply.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

OK, we have one more independent feature to go, and then the MGM films. Here's the list:

THE CAMERAMAN
SPITE MARRIAGE
FREE AND EASY
DOUGHBOYS
PARLOR, BEDROOM AND BATH *
SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK
THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER
SPEAK EASILY *
WHAT! NO BEER?

* means public domain and should be able to view on YouTube.  For the others, which ones do you have access to?Umbrella Sam, from your comments I gather you've seen THE CAMERAMAN but not SPITE MARRIAGE.

As far as the three post MGM foreign features, I've only seen THE INVADER, which I own and can review.  The other two?  Never have seen them and don't know where to hunt down copies with English subtitles!  Yes, they're foreign language.  If I can hunt down reviewable copies, I'll also review them.

Obviously, Paul can continue with Educational and/or Columbia shorts while I tackle the features, but I'm thinking some reviews of mine may get no reply.

Yes, I’ve seen THE CAMERAMAN but not SPITE MARRIAGE. As far as which MGM films I have access to, I have access to all of them except for THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER. If you still want to review that one, maybe in the future I can catch it on TCM or something and come back to that thread and review it. The rest of them, though, I should be able to contribute once we get to them.

Offline metaldams

Mostly for Paul Pain but also for anyone else who may be interested; next week's Keaton film; PARLOR, BEDROOM AND BATH (1931) is one of the two MGM films that are public domain and therefore available on YouTube.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Mostly for Paul Pain but also for anyone else who may be interested; next week's Keaton film; PARLOR, BEDROOM AND BATH (1931) is one of the two MGM films that are public domain and therefore available on YouTube.
I've seen this one a few times over the decades, but I'll reserve my opinions until you post your PARLOR, BEDROOM, AND BATH (1931) review.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

I've seen this one a few times over the decades, but I'll reserve my opinions until you post your PARLOR, BEDROOM, AND BATH (1931) review.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Thanks, looking forward to it!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Next Keaton review will either be Sunday or Monday night
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

PARLOR, BEDROOM AND BATH review from Buster Keaton is now up with YouTube video attached, so please watch and review if you get a chance.  Definitely an interesting film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

First off, my review for THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER is up.

Secondly, next week's review, SPEAK EASILY, is public domain, so a YouTube link will be available for all to view.  Hope to see some thoughts, as by memory and reputation, it's the best of Keaton's MGM talkies.  It also has prime Thelma Todd in it doing her thing.  Interested to see if my latest viewing agrees with my memory of it.
- Doug Sarnecky