Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 178368

Offline metaldams

It's fun when someone can spur a discussion on an old thread.  Sometimes one of us will have an epiphany and share it, and it generates some insightful responses.

Agreed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline CurlyFan1934

I would love to do Keaton and Fields, two comics I am a major fan of (I'm in a big Keaton phase now), as well as finish Laurel and Hardy.  That said, while doing the latter was worth it for getting Paul Payne to be a fan, I just don't think the interest is there overall to continue with other non Stooge comics.  It's disappointing, but it is what it is.  I've been posting on Stooge boards for 16 years now (!), and maybe the first five years would have been good for a Keaton discussion, but not anymore.  When THE MUSIC BOX takes forever to get a response, I decided to stay strictly Stooges.
That makes me sad. Been looking at this forum for almost 2 years, and I always loved seeing everybody's insights about other classic comedy teams. I would be a contributor to the Laurel and Hardy boards, and I could maybe try to generate more interest in the Laurel and Hardy discussions.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I know of a solid Facebook group that might be able to draw a few folks in here; most of them will frown that some of us don't like Besser (bashing any Stooge is an automatic bad), but they might add some numbers down the stretch.  I know most of us aren't social media users, but do you mind if I share?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

I don't know how Metaldams would feel about this as well, but I mean, I could try to do some convincing at my Sons of the Desert meetings (a Laurel and Hardy society). I'm not sure how people would react, considering that most of the members are in their 60's throughout their 90's, and they probably don't have social media too.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I don't know how Metaldams would feel about this as well, but I mean, I could try to do some convincing at my Sons of the Desert meetings (a Laurel and Hardy society). I'm not sure how people would react, considering that most of the members are in their 60's throughout their 90's, and they probably don't have social media too.

You sound like a kid in his 20s.   [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

We need people in their 20's.  Bring some friends.  Brush aside cranky old bastards like me.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Sorry, that was the thing I was trying not to achieve!  :)

Fear not.  I'm turning 23 next month  :P

We need people in their 20's.  Bring some friends.  Brush aside cranky old bastards like me.

We want you too!  You keep us in line!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

Any fans of ay age are welcome into this forum!

Offline metaldams

Guys, thanks.  Any fans you can get would be cool.  As for me, I'm 37, kind of in the middle. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline CurlyFan1934

Guys, thanks.  Any fans you can get would be cool.  As for me, I'm 37, kind of in the middle.
I'm hoping that you, or Paul Pain, would be able to start up the L&H discussions. I enjoyed adding my 2 cents to the reviews, and I'm going back and reviewing all of the Laurel and Hardy movies. I would be a frequent contributor to the discussions.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I'm hoping that you, or Paul Pain, would be able to start up the L&H discussions. I enjoyed adding my 2 cents to the reviews, and I'm going back and reviewing all of the Laurel and Hardy movies. I would be a frequent contributor to the discussions.

Don't worry.  L&H will be returning soon :)
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

Don't worry.  L&H will be returning soon :)
Good! The L&H discussion ended before two of my favorite movies, Sons of the Desert and Way Out West.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Good! The L&H discussion ended before two of my favorite movies, Sons of the Desert and Way Out West.

Just keep in mind that "soon" refers to sometime after we're done with the Stooge movies.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

Just keep in mind that "soon" refers to sometime after we're done with the Stooge movies.
Yes. I figured that. If my calculations end up being correct, we should be done with the Columbia short films around March or May of 2017. Are you going to be doing the Ted Healy films and other assorted Stooge films before the L&H discussion picks up again?

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Yes. I figured that. If my calculations end up being correct, we should be done with the Columbia short films around March or May of 2017. Are you going to be doing the Ted Healy films and other assorted Stooge films before the L&H discussion picks up again?

We'll take a poll later to determine what order things will be done in, but Healy is on the agenda.  We're going to do as many things I can find on Youtube or other such sites, as I haven't the budget at this stage of life to be making such investments on DVD collections. :)
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I posted the link to this site in a Facebook group with over 10,000 members.  We got one person to join... he logged off 1 minute later and hasn't shown up again since :'(
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

On Tuesday, I will start reviewing Shemp Columbia solo shorts in addition to the regular weekend Stooge reviews.  Whether I do Besser and Derita solo depends on the response the nine Shemp films get.  Personally, I'm looking forward to reviewing fun films that have substance again.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline CurlyFan1934

On Tuesday, I will start reviewing Shemp Columbia solo shorts in addition to the regular weekend Stooge reviews.  Whether I do Besser and Derita solo depends on the response the nine Shemp films get.  Personally, I'm looking forward to reviewing fun films that have substance again.
Yeah. I am probably going to contribute thoughts to the solo Shemp Columbia shorts, because I didn't get around to commenting on the "Back of Joe Palma's Head" shorts for, y'know.... obvious reasons. Those shorts do really stink. Anyhow, I'm interested to see your thoughts on the Columbia shorts. I haven't seen all of them, and I've only seen a few Shemp, Besser and Derita shorts.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Even if it is just two or three of us, it is, at least, a diversion from the Stooge horror awaiting us the next 26 weeks... It will be interesting to hear people's opinions of the solos and different opinions on what ails the Besser and DeRita eras.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the responses and discussion for that Shemp solo.  If this keeps up, we'll definitely get to the Besser and Derita solo shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Thanks for the responses and discussion for that Shemp solo.  If this keeps up, we'll definitely get to the Besser and Derita solo shorts.

It should be interesting as we explore routines that were trademark routines for Howard, Besser, or DeRita and ripped off for Three Stooges scripts and vice versa.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Seamus

They might be considered deeper cuts than the Columbia shorts, but I'd enjoy some Shemp Vitaphone discussions too, if the Columbia discussions work out.  Although the quality of the shorts themselves vary, it's fun watching a youthful and energetic Shemp ad-libbing like a maniac and blowing everyone else off the page. 

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
They might be considered deeper cuts than the Columbia shorts, but I'd enjoy some Shemp Vitaphone discussions too, if the Columbia discussions work out.  Although the quality of the shorts themselves vary, it's fun watching a youthful and energetic Shemp ad-libbing like a maniac and blowing everyone else off the page.

Maybe it's something we can consider when we get to the metaldams A.D. reviews.
#1 fire kibitzer