Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 176401

Offline luke795

Are you going to review the Abbott & Costello movies and the Abbott & Costello Show episodes?

Offline metaldams

Are you going to review the Abbott & Costello movies and the Abbott & Costello Show episodes?

Most likely at some point, yes.  I can see those films generating interest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stoogerascalfan62

I'd like to see discussions on the Our Gang-Little Rascals shorts.

Offline metaldams

I'd like to see discussions on the Our Gang-Little Rascals shorts.

Somewhere down the road I'm open to that.  Unless there's an overwhelming amount of requests for one comedian or comedy team, the plan now is Laurel and Hardy sounds shorts after the Marx Brothers, and then probably Buster Keaton, since I'm a huge fan of his. Still, this can change, so like I said, you guys overwhelm me with requests, and I have the films, I'll respond.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Random question:  Any W.C. Fields fans here?  He's another one whose films I'd love to get to.  If you were to ask me at gunpoint, I'd call him the funniest man who ever lived.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

@Metaldams- I notice the Marx Bros discussions have died down quite a bit. Can't say I'm surprised since the Marx films go downhill from this point on. So, I wouldn't mind one bit if you wanted to stop doing these. No sense in giving you more work if people aren't interested. You are certainly free to continue if you'd like, but please don't feel like you have to for my sake.

Offline metaldams

@Metaldams- I notice the Marx Bros discussions have died down quite a bit. Can't say I'm surprised since the Marx films go downhill from this point on. So, I wouldn't mind one bit if you wanted to stop doing these. No sense in giving you more work if people aren't interested. You are certainly free to continue if you'd like, but please don't feel like you have to for my sake.

I'd prefer more responses, obviously, but I look forward to watching these films every week and it's a good writing exercise, so I'll keep trucking.  I don't view this as work.  Work is the B.S. they pay me for every two weeks.  I genuinely enjoy writing these reviews.  I thank you for your responses and idea to do this.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK, I've had a change of heart.  Instead of doing just the 40 Roach sound shorts, I will instead do every Laurel and Hardy film from THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS all the way to ATOLL K, or UTOPIA, or whatever the heck their last film is called in your territory.  I realize the silents may get few or even zero replies, but I think it will be awesome doing every film in order, and since the silents should coincide with the Shemp reviews, I figure a better chance they'll get some views.  I have a few ideas in store to make this work well, so I hope to hear from you all, and I'm REALLY looking forward to this.  Mucho epicness!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

I'd prefer more responses, obviously, but I look forward to watching these films every week and it's a good writing exercise, so I'll keep trucking.  I don't view this as work.  Work is the B.S. they pay me for every two weeks.  I genuinely enjoy writing these reviews.  I thank you for your responses and idea to do this.

Yeah, keep 'em up, Metal, I enjoy reading your take on these movies, even if I haven't made time to offer my own thoughts on some of them yet (in the case of ROOM SERVICE it's because I haven't seen that one in so long and my memory is hazy, although I intend to revisit that one soon out of curiosity).  Especially looking forward to your comments on the later "downward slide" movies.  Perversely, I tend to enjoy reading reviews of a group's less well-regarded work more than the undisputed classics, as it's usually more interesting to do a post-mortem into why something didn't work than to just list a bunch of scenes that everyone agrees are great.

Offline metaldams

Yeah, keep 'em up, Metal, I enjoy reading your take on these movies, even if I haven't made time to offer my own thoughts on some of them yet (in the case of ROOM SERVICE it's because I haven't seen that one in so long and my memory is hazy, although I intend to revisit that one soon out of curiosity).  Especially looking forward to your comments on the later "downward slide" movies.  Perversely, I tend to enjoy reading reviews of a group's less well-regarded work more than the undisputed classics, as it's usually more interesting to do a post-mortem into why something didn't work than to just list a bunch of scenes that everyone agrees are great.

Thanks for the kind words, Seamus.  I have the same feeling about you reading about "downward slide" movie reviews.  I even try to find ways to challenge the staus quo opinions on these films if possible, but alas, it's not always possible.

By the way, I know you stated you're a Laurel and Hardy fan.  Do you have the silent shorts as well?  Just curious, I'm trying to get a gague of what this early round of reviewing is going to be like.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Seamus

By the way, I know you stated you're a Laurel and Hardy fan.  Do you have the silent shorts as well?  Just curious, I'm trying to get a gague of what this early round of reviewing is going to be like.

Unfortunately no.  I've only seen one of L&H's silent shorts, but this might be a good excuse to give them a look.  I think a few of them are scattered across different disks on Netflix, so I can snag them from there.

Offline metaldams

Unfortunately no.  I've only seen one of L&H's silent shorts, but this might be a good excuse to give them a look.  I think a few of them are scattered across different disks on Netflix, so I can snag them from there.

Well, when possible, I do plan on posting YouTube clips, along with the reviews, even complete shorts when possible.

There is a 10 volume set I spent a chunk of change on for each piece about 10 or 15 years ago (entitled The Lost Films) that's even harder to find and more expensive these days.  Amazingly, at the time, the silents were easier to find than the talkies.  Now it's a reverse scenario.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

I'm not sure if you will do Abbott and Costello after Laurel and Hardy.  Shemp and Joe Besser did appear in some of the Abbott and Costello movies and Joe Besser did appear in the Abbott and Costello Show.

Offline metaldams

I'm not sure if you will do Abbott and Costello after Laurel and Hardy.  Shemp and Joe Besser did appear in some of the Abbott and Costello movies and Joe Besser did appear in the Abbott and Costello Show.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of all that.  I like Bud and Lou, but I like Stan and Ollie even more.  I'll probably get around to Bud and Lou when we're done with The Stooges and Laurel and Hardy, but that's a while from now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

Oh yeah, I'm aware of all that.  I like Bud and Lou, but I like Stan and Ollie even more.  I'll probably get around to Bud and Lou when we're done with The Stooges and Laurel and Hardy, but that's a while from now.

Looks like we have a lot of fun planned ahead....

Offline metaldams

Guys and gals, in the future and periodically for past reviews, I will be posting trailers, and when possible, complete films, along with other assorted things from YouTube, and will report here.  First update, the trailer to AT THE CIRCUS is now in the review thread for that film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

I love reading your reviews, but I just don't know what to add to them because I am not good conversationalist.

Offline Kopfy2013

Random question:  Any W.C. Fields fans here?  He's another one whose films I'd love to get to.  If you were to ask me at gunpoint, I'd call him the funniest man who ever lived.

Wow! What a statement!  I am not familiar with his work. The items I watched (the one where Shemp is the bartender) I was not impressed.

Please link me to videos that you love that supports your opinion, I would love to watch them and maybe change my mind on him.
Niagara Falls

Offline Signor Spumoni

Wow! What a statement!  I am not familiar with his work. The items I watched (the one where Shemp is the bartender) I was not impressed.

Please link me to videos that you love that supports your opinion, I would love to watch them and maybe change my mind on him.

This is one of his movies which I enjoy, "Million Dollar Legs."  It's a satire of the 1932 Olympics, but it's much funnier than that makes it sound.  It's only about an hour long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC0Vvj19tMo

Offline Signor Spumoni

I love reading your reviews, but I just don't know what to add to them because I am not good conversationalist.

Just write something you enjoy about the Stooges, or about whatever the subject is.  For example, if you like WC Fields, tell everyone which WC Fields movie is your favorite.  That's a good start because that's what people are talking about here in this thread.

Offline metaldams

Luke, just state your opinion and a gag or two that makes you laugh.  Keep it simple, nobody is expecting Shakespeare...and thanks for the compliment.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_xwqxz1Wio

The above is the porch sequence I posted from IT'S A GIFT (1934) in the classic comedy thread.  It slowly builds up and to me it's one of the funniest scenes in any movie ever. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ytgPGr6JhLo

This other sequence is from THE OLD FASHIONED WAY (1934) and showcases W.C. Fields as a juggler.  He would probably be happy I am showing you this, because W.C. Fields started his career juggling, and developed a comic routine and character around it.

Bear in mind, his style is VERY different from The Three Stooges.  Much slower paced, but that works for him.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

By the way, it kills me when he comes out with the cleaver.   :laugh:

Offline metaldams

By the way, it kills me when he comes out with the cleaver.   :laugh:

You and me both, and by the way, MILLION DOLLAR LEGS is one of the few Fields talkies I haven't seen.  I will remedy this soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Random question:  as fun as it's been talking about Curly, who here is getting pumped for Shemp?  I know I am!  We're getting close. 
- Doug Sarnecky