Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 176288

Offline Larrys#1

Yes, please keep it open. Hopefully more participation will commence as time goes by.

I wonder what happened to Dr. Hugo.....

Offline Larrys#1

The weekly discussion's possible end has been exaggerated.  Thanks to you guys contributing.  While I still would like to see a few more people involved, we got just enough now to make it worth it, so let's keep it up and get to 190.....and then features and solo shorts...maybe cartoons, and then some of the random stuff in the filmography where Derita was suspected to wolf down the matzoh balls at the catering table.

Glad to hear. Please don't pull the plug. I like reading what people think about these episodes. I added a whole bunch of posts today on past episodes. Apologies for not being active on a weekly basis, but will try going forward. I hope we make it to 190. I am anxious to hear what people have to say when we eventually get to the Shemp and Besser episodes.

Offline metaldams

Glad to hear. Please don't pull the plug. I like reading what people think about these episodes. I added a whole bunch of posts today on past episodes. Apologies for not being active on a weekly basis, but will try going forward. I hope we make it to 190. I am anxious to hear what people have to say when we eventually get to the Shemp and Besser episodes.

Hey, thanks for bringing some old threads to life.  I was hoping this would happen, as there's no need for threads to stop once we get to the next short.  I will be busy tomorrow with my social life (I'm open to trying new things  [pie] ), so the next entry will be tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Just another thank you to everybody participating.  The old posts getting new life breathed into them is a great sign, and something I hoped would happen.  This is the most fun I've had posting here in years, and I see no sign of this thing slowing down.  We got some prime Curly ahead of us, and we haven't even gotten to Shemp yet.  Enjoy the ride.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Well, I missed it by a day, but yesterday was the one year anniversary of these weekly episode discussions beginning.  I went into this not being sure if it would work, but this has been better than I ever imagined, and I literally think in the middle of every week what short I get to watch and review next.  This has become a ritual for me.  Thanks again to all you regulars who have made this worthwhile, and I hope even more people join in.

I gotta say, though, it will be an interesting change of pace once we get to Shemp, especially after the sick Curly era.  Less than a year until we talk Shemp, but we still have plenty of good Curly to go.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
You're doing a great job with these.  My life has some sort of meaning besides the boring routines!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

It's going to be a slow process, but I'm going to try to decorate the old threads with title and lobby cards, so keep checking back the old threads.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

I don't know how many people here are Marx Brothers fans, but I think it would be cool to have similar discussion threads on the Marx Bros. movies. There's only 13 of them so it shouldn't take long to cover them all if it is one movie per week. I just think it would be interesting to see people's opinions on the Paramount pictures vs. the MGM ones.

Offline metaldams

I don't know how many people here are Marx Brothers fans, but I think it would be cool to have similar discussion threads on the Marx Bros. movies. There's only 13 of them so it shouldn't take long to cover them all if it is one movie per week. I just think it would be interesting to see people's opinions on the Paramount pictures vs. the MGM ones.

Larrys#1, I'm cool with it.  Are you able to start new topics in the weekly episode discussion section?  If so, and if you want to start with THE COCOANUTS, whenever you're ready.  If you can't start a new topic, I'll see if I can get in touch with Rob to make it so you can.  If you'd like me to start the threads, give me a week or two, I need to find a day of the week that works for me.  My work schedule has been fluctuating like crazy lately.

Please let me know how you want to work it out, and we'll do what needs to be done.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

Larrys#1, I'm cool with it.  Are you able to start new topics in the weekly episode discussion section?  If so, and if you want to start with THE COCOANUTS, whenever you're ready.  If you can't start a new topic, I'll see if I can get in touch with Rob to make it so you can.  If you'd like me to start the threads, give me a week or two, I need to find a day of the week that works for me.  My work schedule has been fluctuating like crazy lately.

Please let me know how you want to work it out, and we'll do what needs to be done.

Sorry for the late reply. Been so busy. I just checked and no, I cannot start new topics there. Is there a way you can just start a new category for this? I just don't feel right interfering with the "Weekly Episode Discussion" category because it seems to make more sense to leave that category specifically for the 190 episodes....

Offline metaldams

Sorry for the late reply. Been so busy. I just checked and no, I cannot start new topics there. Is there a way you can just start a new category for this? I just don't feel right interfering with the "Weekly Episode Discussion" category because it seems to make more sense to leave that category specifically for the 190 episodes....

I'm cool with the Marx films being discussed in the weekly episode thread.  I'll aim for Tuesday, a week from today, to watch and review THE COCOANUTS and if it gets a decent amount of responses, I'll continue with all thirteen films.  If not, I'll stop there.

Anybody want to raise their hand in advance and say they'll participate?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

Sure... sounds good to me. Yeah, if no responses, I have no problem calling it quits. It's probably a long shot anyway since I don't expect that there are many Marx Bros fans here, but maybe I'll be surprised. The comedy of the Marx Bros is a very different ballgame compared to the stooges so I can understand if not many people here are into them.

Offline luke795

Would someone want to do similar discussions threads for Laurel & Hardy and Abbott & Costello?

Offline metaldams

Would someone want to do similar discussions threads for Laurel & Hardy and Abbott & Costello?

If I live long enough, sure.  The Marx Brothers will be easy, only 13 films, but I'll consider other groups when we're done with The Three Stooges.

By the way, I lied about Tuesday, the Marx Brothers will be the next 13 Sunday nights.  Always a period of time where I'm not busy, and it will delay the coming pre Monday morning blues.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I placed THE COCOANUTS review in the Weekly Episode Discussion section, so I hope you guys and occasional gal will respond to it.  Whether I continue or not with The Marx Brothers depends on if it gets responses, and I hope it does, as I really enjoyed watching and reviewing this film.  So consider a response a vote, and for once in this world, your vote really counts.  Hail Freedonia!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

I placed THE COCOANUTS review in the Weekly Episode Discussion section, so I hope you guys and occasional gal will respond to it.  Whether I continue or not with The Marx Brothers depends on if it gets responses, and I hope it does, as I really enjoyed watching and reviewing this film.  So consider a response a vote, and for once in this world, your vote really counts.  Hail Freedonia!

As Chico Marx would say, "My idea was a no good." Ah well, it was worth a shot. Too bad there aren't any other Marx fans here. I think their comedy is great. All Marx Bros (except Zeppo, of course) brings about a unique style of comedy. I was looking forward to voicing my opinion on all 13 films but I'm afraid that ain't gonna happen...

Offline metaldams

As Chico Marx would say, "My idea was a no good." Ah well, it was worth a shot. Too bad there aren't any other Marx fans here. I think their comedy is great. All Marx Bros (except Zeppo, of course) brings about a unique style of comedy. I was looking forward to voicing my opinion on all 13 films but I'm afraid that ain't gonna happen...

There was a time when we could discuss tons of classic comedy here, including The Marx Brothers.  I actually gained my interest of other classic comedians on Stooge message boards.  Then it devolved into a time where you couldn't even get a Stooge conversation going, nevermind other comedians.  These days we're at least back to talking the Stooges, thank God.  I'll wait the rest of the week, but barring some more interest in the Marx Brothers post in the next few days, I'll just be thankful we can at least discuss the 190 shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

There was a time when we could discuss tons of classic comedy here, including The Marx Brothers. 

That's a darn shame. I wonder why it ain't like that anymore.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I myself like what little I have seen of the Marx brothers (I feel certain I have seen more than the one I LOVE LUCY episode...), but I don't have time to view them.  Maybe in two years I will have watched some, but what's to say we're even alive then? [3stooges]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I myself like what little I have seen of the Marx brothers (I feel certain I have seen more than the one I LOVE LUCY episode...), but I don't have time to view them.  Maybe in two years I will have watched some, but what's to say we're even alive then? [3stooges]

What are you, in your early 20's?  I was about your age when I expanded beyond the Stooges and into other comedians of the teens through 40's, walking barefoot through the snow and fighting off T-Rex's to get the latest clam shelled cased VHS tapes.  Watching SHERLOCK, JR. from Buster Keaton was one of the great holy shit moments of my life.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

If you folks go back, you'll see I decided to give a rating on a scale of 1 - 10 for each film I reviewed.  I think overall I've been pretty kind, keeping in mind a middle of the road Stooge film gets a 7 from me because I like middle of the road Stooge films better than the average movie.  A few of these get genuinely low ratings, but not many.  I figured some people like neat little ratings to sum things up, so for those folks, go back to the old reviews and enjoy.

Also, for the record, I will do the Laurel and Hardy shorts when we're done with The Marx Brothers no matter the reception.  The more I've thought about it, I figure while responses and conversation are certainly preferred, just writing about these films gives me enjoyment, and the reviews will be there for a long time as long as Dunrobin decides to keep the board going, which I hope he does.  Any conversation will be great, but even without it, if any review can inspire one of you guys to check out something new, mission accomplished.  So expect me to continue writing two weekly comedy reviews as long as both this board and my body exist.  I've got plenty of old comedies to write about to last me a while.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Will you ever review the Ritz Brothers movies and the Martin & Lewis movies?

Offline metaldams

Will you ever review the Ritz Brothers movies and the Martin & Lewis movies?

There are a lot of others I would get to first, I mean a lot. Sorry to say Luke, I'm not a big fan of either team.  I suppose it's possible someday, but the Laurel and Hardy sound shorts will come after the Marx features, and after that I plan to do some batch of Keaton films, either shorts or features.  Depending on how long this site and I go, I'm open to do both teams someday.  I will say that Martin and Lewis serve as the most recent team/comedian whose work I would possibly review.

Just curious, how many Ritz films do you have?  I've only seen two myself.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

There are a lot of others I would get to first, I mean a lot. Sorry to say Luke, I'm not a big fan of either team.  I suppose it's possible someday, but the Laurel and Hardy sound shorts will come after the Marx features, and after that I plan to do some batch of Keaton films, either shorts or features.  Depending on how long this site and I go, I'm open to do both teams someday.  I will say that Martin and Lewis serve as the most recent team/comedian whose work I would possibly review.

Just curious, how many Ritz films do you have?  I've only seen two myself.

All of them have been released on DVD except 5 of them.  Fox still has to release one more and the other 4 have to be released by Universal.  I have seen all of them though.  Which 2 have you seen?

Offline metaldams

All of them have been released on DVD except 5 of them.  Fox still has to release one more and the other 4 have to be released by Universal.  I have seen all of them though.  Which 2 have you seen?

Being a Bela Lugosi fan, definitely THE GORILLA, which is easy too find as it's public domain, STRAIGHT PLACE AND SHOW, and HOTEL ANCHOVY, so that's three, not two.
- Doug Sarnecky