Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Marx Brothers on the Big-Screen in SA!!!

Linked Events

• ANIMAL CRACKERS - San Antonio: July 26, 2005

Offline Hammond Eggar

Every summer, Texas Public Radio sponsors a CINEMA TUESDAY SERIES, in which they screen retro films.  The screenings take place at the Bijou theater, located at Crossroads Mall in San Antonio, Texas.  Among this summer's films is the Marx Brothers classic, "Animal Crackers."  It will be screened on Tuesday, July 26.  Below is more information about the CINEMA TUESDAY SERIES.

----------------------------------------------

Texas Public Radio’s
CINEMA TUESDAYS
Texas Public Radio’s Cinema Tuesday’s series begins its 17-week run on
May 24 at The Bijou at Crossroads Theatre. All films are one-time only
screenings, held on Tuesday nights at 7:30 pm. Texas Public Radio suggests
an admission donation of $10 for members or $12 for non-members for each
screening.  All proceeds benefit Texas Public Radio. Make your reservations
 for each film at www.tpr.org , or call 210-614-8977 for more information.

A list of the currently confirmed titles in the series…

May 24 - Blow-Up
May 31 - Leave Her to Heaven

June 7 - Wild Strawberries
June 14 - Godzilla
June 21 - The Italian Straw Hat
June 28 - Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

July 5 - My Darling Clementine
July 12 - Untold Scandal
July 19 - TBD
July 26 - Animal Crackers

August 2 - Oscar Shorts Program
August 9 - Walkabout
August 16 - Dog Day Afternoon
August 23 - The Grand Illusion
August 30 - Vertigo

Sept. 6 - Aimee and Jaguar
Sept. 13 – TBD

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 08:14:19 PM by Dunrobin »
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
admission donation of $10 for members or $12 for non-members

Seems pretty damned expensive, to me; I refuse to pay those kinds of prices for brand-new movies.  Funny how a private group, like the bunch that's been restoring the Redford Theatre in Detroit, can charge half that much for great classic films, and manage to raise sufficient funds - without stealing money from the taxpayers, either!

Of course, I've got to admit that I hate "Public Radio" and all it stands for.  Still, if you Texans don't have any other opportunities to see classic films on the big screen, I guess it might seem worth it.

Added 5/12/05 9:15 PM:
Reading that over again, that sounds harsher than I meant to be.  I guess the tightwad Scot in me got the upper hand this morning.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 08:18:45 PM by Dunrobin »

Offline Hammond Eggar

I agree, Rob.  $12 is a bit much for these films.  That will probably keep me from seeing very many of these titles.  That said, I am 32 years of age, and have never seen the Marx Brothers on the big screen.  I don't want to miss this opportunity.  I sure wish that a theater down here would show some Three Stooges films/shorts.  Aside from attending the Three Stooges Convention in PA in 1991, I have never seen a Stooges film on a screen larger than that of my TV.

As for San Antonio and retro films, we have a theater called the Alamo Drafthouse.  It is an Austin-based chain that also has theaters in Houston.  Along with new releases, the theaters also screen retro, B and cult films.  So far, I have seen such films as "Rock 'n' Roll High School," "The Breakfast Club," "This is Spinal Tap," "The Day the Earth Stood Still," "Flash Gordon," "Jerry Maguire," "A Christmas Story," "Reality Bites," "Heavy Metal," "History of the World: Part I," "Pretty in Pink" and "Silent Night, Deadly Night."  I know that the newest location in Austin recently screened "Duck Soup" as part of their grand opening.  Usually, the screenings cost $2 to attend, unless it is a special event.  I have recommended in the past that they consider screening some Stooges films, and have volunteered to supply them with some.  Most of the retro films are on DVD, with a DVD projector.  It's not as good as a clean 35mm print, but is still quite enjoyable.  I think I will make my Stooges suggestion again.  I think it would be great to combine an hour of shorts with a screening of "Soup to Nuts."  If it ever happens, I'll let you know.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Some of the TPR CINEMA TUESDAY screenings have and will continue to include classic Warner Brothers (Looney Tunes) cartoons prior to the feature films.  The "Animal Crackers" screening will be no exception.  The 1952 cartoon "Feed the Kitty" will run prior to the film.  Here is a link to the IMDb page for the cartoon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044609/

Other cartoons scheduled to air during the summer series include "Rabbit of Seville" (1950) and "Duck Amuck" (1953).

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Some of the TPR CINEMA TUESDAY screenings have and will continue to include classic Warner Brothers (Looney Tunes) cartoons prior to the feature films.  The "Animal Crackers" screening will be no exception.  The 1952 cartoon "Feed the Kitty" will run prior to the film.  Here is a link to the IMDb page for the cartoon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044609/

Other cartoons scheduled to air during the summer series include "Rabbit of Seville" (1950) and "Duck Amuck" (1953).

That's pretty cool, and makes the admission price a little more palatable too.

I just took a look at the IMDb link and realized which cartoon was "Feed The Kitty."  I've always liked that one, but I was surprised to realize who did the voice of Marc Anthony's owner: Bea Benaderet, who played "Kate Bradley" in Petticoat Junction, and cousin Pearl on the Beverly Hillibillies.  I hadn't realized that she was the voice of Betty Rubble on The Flintstones, and was also the voice of one of my favorite Bugs Bunny foils, "Witch Hazel."  ("Ach - your mudder rides a vacuum cleaner!")   ;D

Offline BeAStooge

I was surprised to realize who did the voice of Marc Anthony's owner: Bea Benaderet, who played "Kate Bradley" in Petticoat Junction, and cousin Pearl on the Beverly Hillibillies.  I hadn't realized that she was the voice of Betty Rubble on The Flintstones, and was also the voice of one of my favorite Bugs Bunny foils, "Witch Hazel."  ("Ach - your mudder rides a vacuum cleaner!")   ;D

Bea was the main female voice artist for the WB toons from 1943 - 1954, taking over for late '30s/early '40s semi-regulars Elvia Allman and Sara Berner.  Ms. Benaderet was the original voice of Granny; she only did the first 'Witch Hazel' toon.

June Foray joined her on the WB voice artist staff around 1952, and gradually took on more and more of the voice work when Benaderet's radio and TV schedule (especially costarring on THE BURNS & ALLEN SHOW) kept her too busy to work on the toons.  Foray took over as Granny, Witch Hazel, etc. in 1954, until WB closed its doors again in 1964.

Benaderet was 'Betty Rubble' for the first 3 seasons of THE FLINTSTONES.  Character actress Gerry Johnson took over in the 4th season after Bea left in 1963 to star in PETTICOAT JUNCTION.

Stooge-related FYI -  Bea played Joe Besser's wife in the western PLUNDERERS OF PAINTED FLATS (1959).