Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Joe Besser Shorts

Offline sandmountainslim

I have been watching the Joe Besser shorts on the Rare Treasures DVD set and I .....never would have thought I would say this but I love em! 
Besser without the Stooges was actually a pretty funny guy.   Nowhere as funny as the Shemp Howard solo efforts but still worth watching. 

ThumpTheShoes

Besser had his moments in the Stooge comedies:

"If that means what I think it does... I'm guilty!"
"Good for you! Good for you! That's bad for me. Wow!"
"What mamas!"

And some of his stock stuff like breaking the fourth wall with that "I hate him" bit. On his own he was just great, and I even got a kick out of Besser and Hawthorne as another of the Columbia unlikely pairings (Shemp and El Brendel? Really?!).

Thing is, Besser never worked up an act with Moe and Larry. He wasn't with them long enough to find his own place in the group and, worse yet, the writing for the shorts during his time was more miss than hit. All of them weren't bad but all of the ones that dealt with horses sure weren't of the same caliber as, say, An Ache in Every Stake. But then, they couldn't be. Because of their "tenure" at Columbia, the Stooges' careers were doomed to suffer this low point as a result of their continued existence.

The act went on, seemingly, in spite of what could be seen as increasingly insurmountable odds. Deaths of the Howard brothers, Dwindling budgets, absent production values, careless directing and a sense of urgency from the studio (and a certain Jules White) to churn out a fast product for as less and less money simply did not make for an inspired, free-spirited comedic atmosphere.

Offline Wilson7777

Muscle Up a Little Closer and Flying Saucer Daffy are (imo) two of the better Joe shorts.  Both of them have Joe doing bits by himself which I think he was better at.  I'm not sure but it looks like some of the things he blurts out are ad-libbed or unscripted.
===========
Wilson7777

Offline LoU fRoM pRiSoN

I, too, found the Besser shorts to be FAR better than I thought they would be. Nothing like the Shemp solos and WAY better than the Joe DeRita shorts. I did find the two features to be the hardest two items to watch on the DVD set...