Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Building My Collection!

Offline sandmountainslim

I am working hard on completing a Three Stooges DVD collection.  I always loved the TS even as a child watching them on local tv in the 70's.   I can remember being told when Moe passed away and crying thinking they would never be on TV again (I was 5 years old).     In the early nineties I made it a point to tape every Stooges episode that came on tv and had several tapes of Stooge shorts but they were all cut up by commercials and poor quality prints.   I bought The Three Stooges Collection volumes 1, 2 and 3 when they came out and a few months ago my 6 year old daughter asked what they were so I let her watch them and ....She was hooked!  I went ahead and bought the rest of the collection and started attempting to get all of their appearances I can find.    As it sits now I have. 

Three Stooges Collection Volumes 1-8
Rare Treasures From The Columbia Vault
Soup To Nuts
Three Stooges Around The World In A Daze
Three Stooges Meet Hercules
Snow White and The Three Stooges
The Three Stooges Chronicles  (for the MGM shorts)
Three Stooges Early Years (for Shemp Vitaphone comedies, Roast Beef and Movies and The Big Idea)
Three Stooges All Time Favorites (Kook's Tour and Jerks Of all Trades)
Meet The Baron/Gold Raiders
Three Stooges In Orbit
Swing Parade Of 1946
Three Stooges Kings Of Laughter 
New Three Stooges cartoon dvd (generic featuring a couple dozen toons)
The Three Stooges (2012 Film)   

I am trying to build a real "Ultimate Collection"  but I know I have quite a way to go  ;D     Wish me luck on findin the rest!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:53:28 PM by sandmountainslim »

Offline JazzBill

I am trying to build a real "Ultimate Collection"  but I know I have quite a way to go  ;D     Wish me luck on findin the rest!

After you get all of the Three Stooges material you can find, you can start on the solo stuff. And believe me, there is plenty of that to look for.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Paul Allen

After you get all of the Three Stooges material you can find, you can start on the solo stuff. And believe me, there is plenty of that to look for.
But it looks like sandmountainslim is already well on his way to collecting most of the solo shorts.

He's got a few of the MGM Ted Healy/Stooges shorts and he already has Rare Treasures From The Columbia Vault.
Now he needs to get the new Warner Brothers VITAPHONE Volume 1 release and get Volume 2 when it comes out.

What else is there? 

Offline JazzBill

What else is there? 

Crazy House, The Abbott & Costello stuff, Hellzapopin, Shemp Cocktail, The Strange Case Of Dr. RX, Pittsburgh, Arabian Nights, The Charlie Chan Stuff, Convention Girl  and Strange Affair come to my mind. Oh, I forgot Space Master X-7. Thats a Moe solo.

Offline archiezappa

Perhaps, we could all get together and make the ultimate Three Stooges DVD Checklist.  I would be interested on contributing to such an adventure.  It would help in collecting and also in knowing what's not available as well.

Offline Paul Allen

Crazy House, The Abbott & Costello stuff, Hellzapopin, Shemp Cocktail, The Strange Case Of Dr. RX, Pittsburgh, Arabian Nights, The Charlie Chan Stuff, Convention Girl  and Strange Affair come to my mind. Oh, I forgot Space Master X-7. Thats a Moe solo.
Wow! You're talking about getting deeeep into the solos!

ThumpTheShoes

Perhaps, we could all get together and make the ultimate Three Stooges DVD Checklist.  I would be interested on contributing to such an adventure.  It would help in collecting and also in knowing what's not available as well.

That would be a neat idea! Just the truly essential stuff, not just a copy of the videography portion of this site. They do a similar thing over at the Laurel and Hardy forum, and even go into great detail about foreign and oddball video releases that have unedited or, otherwise, superior content.

To add to the list, one should definitely have the Men Behind the Mayhem dvd (which is only about $.50 at Amazon right now. That's right! Fitty sent plus shipping!) , as well as the Mike Douglas shows with Moe. Plus, let's not forget the Larry interview from the retirement home.

Offline sandmountainslim

Thanks!  I have been lookin at the Shemp Cocktail dvd on amazon.    I dunno if I could stand Abbot and Costello long enough to see a Stooge Cameo.  I love love love old comedy but have never cared for Abbott and Costello nor Laurel and Hardy.

Offline archiezappa

That would be a neat idea! Just the truly essential stuff, not just a copy of the videography portion of this site. They do a similar thing over at the Laurel and Hardy forum, and even go into great detail about foreign and oddball video releases that have unedited or, otherwise, superior content.

To add to the list, one should definitely have the Men Behind the Mayhem dvd (which is only about $.50 at Amazon right now. That's right! Fitty sent plus shipping!) , as well as the Mike Douglas shows with Moe. Plus, let's not forget the Larry interview from the retirement home.

Yeah.  We could all compare notes on the content of the various DVD's.  I'm sure there are hundreds of them.  This will help us in determining which DVD's are essential and which ones are not worth the trouble.

Offline JazzBill

Thanks!  I have been lookin at the Shemp Cocktail dvd on amazon.    I dunno if I could stand Abbot and Costello long enough to see a Stooge Cameo.  I love love love old comedy but have never cared for Abbott and Costello nor Laurel and Hardy.

Shemp Cocktail has some interesting bonus material on it. (Some of it I believe to be incorrect)
I didn't care much for Abbott & Costello much either, the only reason I bought their Dvd's was because Shemp was in them. But after a while I started to enjoy them. To me, watching Abbott & Costello is like watching  Moe and Curly without Larry.

Offline sandmountainslim

After getting the disc with the MGM stuff I have

Beer and Pretzels
Nertzery Rhymes
Plane Nuts

For some reason The Big Idea is not on here so I am missing it!
Is it any good? Does it feature alot of Stooges?   Does anyone know a DVD it is available on?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Big Idea is not on here so I am missing it!
Is it any good? Does it feature alot of Stooges?   Does anyone know a DVD it is available on?

This website's main filmography provides the answers to most, if not all of your questions.  Each film's page includes home video link information (*).

THE BIG IDEA (1934)

* With the exception of info subsequent to June 2011, due to the site being inactive for editing; a situation that hopefully will be resolved one day.

Offline Paul Allen

sandmountainslim, do you have Dancing Lady ?
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000F7CMPO/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1357543730&sr=1-1&keywords=dancing+lady&condition=new

CAST:
Joan Crawford as Janie Barlow
Clark Gable as Patch Gallagher
Fred Astaire as himself
Ted Healy as Steve
Moe Howard as Moe, a stagehand
Curley Howard as Curley, a stagehand
Larry Fine as Harry, a pianist
Nelson Eddy as himself

ThumpTheShoes

You'll also want to have Myrt and Marge, which prominently features Healy and the Stooges.

Offline sandmountainslim

I ordered a DVD last night which claims to have The Big Idea included on it.   Haven't seen Myrt and Marge on DVD anywhere yet.   I shall make the Gable video next on my list :)

Offline Paul Allen

You'll also want to have Myrt and Marge, which prominently features Healy and the Stooges.
Sounds great, but where can we get a copy?

Is there anyone on this site that would be willing to sell a DVD-R of Myrt And Marge ?

Offline simgershon

I see that you are a Joe Besser fan as well.  I am looking for a pen that was issued by Columbia Studios in 1956.  It read stolen from the three stooges, Moe Larry and Joe.  Have any ideas?  I checked ebay and past auction houses with no luck?  Do you know anyone who may have this?, besides Gary Lassin from the Stoogeum.

Offline Paul Allen

I see that you are a Joe Besser fan as well.  I am looking for a pen that was issued by Columbia Studios in 1956.  It read stolen from the three stooges, Moe Larry and Joe.  Have any ideas?  I checked ebay and past auction houses with no luck?  Do you know anyone who may have this?, besides Gary Lassin from the Stoogeum.
I have no idea about the pen... sorry.

I'm "sort of" a Joe Besser fan.
It's like my brother-in-law said a few years ago about Besser as a Stooge - Most of the 16 Three Stooges shorts with Besser are so bad... they're great!!

My favorite Stooges in order are:
1. Shemp
2. Moe
3. Curly
4. Larry
5. Emil Sitka (yes, I consider him as one of the boys)
6. Joe
7. Curly Joe

[pie]

Offline sandmountainslim

Managed to add
His First Flame, Saltwater Daffy, Corn on the Cop, Roast Beef and Movies and The Big Idea to my collection :) 

With Big Idea that should be ALL of the surviving MGM shorts.

Offline sandmountainslim

I must say I am glad to have added The Big Idea to my collection but it........sucks bigtime.   This is by far the worst Healy/Stooges short I have seen.   
Absolutely nothing funny about it until the very end when the boys act up and be themselves.  Even Bonnie wasn't half as hot as normal.

Offline sandmountainslim

Put of Snow White and The Three Stooges until today because I had read so many bad reviews and that even Moe didn't like the film.....BUT my 6 year old daughter loves it!  You can't pull her away from the tv!     I guess it has some use after all :)

Offline Paul Allen

Put of Snow White and The Three Stooges until today because I had read so many bad reviews and that even Moe didn't like the film.....BUT my 6 year old daughter loves it!  You can't pull her away from the tv!   I guess it has some use after all :)
Yes, that's understandable. Afterall, the movie was geared towards children.

P.S.  -  Today I finally ordered the official MGM dvd release (2006) of Dancing Lady. Included as bonuses are the official releases of the shorts, Plane Nuts and Roast Beef & Movies.

I'm looking forward to getting it!

Offline archiezappa

Managed to add
His First Flame, Saltwater Daffy, Corn on the Cop, Roast Beef and Movies and The Big Idea to my collection :) 

With Big Idea that should be ALL of the surviving MGM shorts.

Not anymore!  Yes, "Hello Pop" has been found.

Offline sandmountainslim

What???  When and by whom??   Will it be released?