Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Howard, Gilbert & Rosenbloom

Offline archiezappa

Shemp Howard, Billy Gilbert, and Maxie Rosenbloom starred in three movies for Monogram Pictures.  I remember watching "3 Of A Kind" on television a long time ago, probably around 1990 or 1991.  I've never seen the other two movies.  I liked "3 Of A Kind" a lot and have wondered what happened to these movies.  Has anyone else seen or heard from them, lately?

Offline falsealarms

Movies Unlimited does [curiously] sell a DVD-R of GHOST CRAZY (aka CRAZY KNIGHTS). Video quality is only acceptable, but generally passable. It's not an official studio release.

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D05313

I haven't seen a collector copy of 3 OF A KIND or TROUBLE CHASERS surface anywhere (i.e eBay, iOffer) yet.

Last I knew, WB owned the rights to the Monogram films.

Offline archiezappa

So, you've seen "Ghost Crazy?"  How is it?  Is it funny?

Offline falsealarms

It's not a classic or anything, but it's not bad. It's worth watching at least once. If comedy/mystery is one of your favorite mixed genres (it isn't one of mine) you'll probably get more out of it. Unlike some other features Shemp was in, he gets considerable time here as one of the main stars.

Offline archiezappa

Too bad Shemp didn't get more screen time in features.  I guess these three movies are great in that case.  Yeah, I'd like to see it at least once.  However, I think a restored trilogy DVD would be a better idea.  I wonder if anyone would buy it.

Offline falsealarms

For fans of the genre, noted B movie producer "Jungle" Sam Katzman was one of the producers on this film.

Offline archiezappa

Well, if Warner Bros. owns the films, perhaps they'll offer them from the Warner Bros. Archive at some point.

Offline falsealarms

I was wrong - I asked about these titles on Warner Archive's Facebook page and they said someone else has the rights.

Offline archiezappa

Offline falsealarms

I can't imagine who owns it then.... I thought WB did. They recently put out some Monogram westerns.

Offline archiezappa

I wonder if they licensed them from somebody else.

Offline JazzBill

Shemp Howard, Billy Gilbert, and Maxie Rosenbloom starred in three movies for Monogram Pictures.  I remember watching "3 Of A Kind" on television a long time ago, probably around 1990 or 1991.  I've never seen the other two movies.  I liked "3 Of A Kind" a lot and have wondered what happened to these movies.  Has anyone else seen or heard from them, lately?
I bought all three of them a few years ago at the fan club meeting but I haven't seen them since. They are bad quality bootlegs at best. I wanted to make some copies for someone here but I don't know how to.  :-[
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

Warner Archive further commented on the rights of those Shemp Monograms:

"Many of the Monogram and Allied Artists films were cherry-picked and sold to third parties prior to Alliled's acquisition by Lorimar. Hence, Lorimar only acquired what was left of the Allied library after those prior sales. (WB acquired Lorimar years thereafter). We certainly wish the circumstances were different."

Basically, those Shemp Monograms seem like they're mired in copyright hell.

Offline metaldams

As a Bela Lugosi fan, I know a little about Monogram.  Lugosi fans know of "The Monogram 9," which are the nine films he made for Monogram studios.  Pure Heaven for Lugosi and Z movie fans.  The first seven, which are from 1941 - 1943, are most definitely public domain, while the last two, which are 1944 films, are in some kind of copyright Hell, as False hinted at.  Nobody knows who owns them, and I had to get my copies with a little extra effort.  I imagine it's the same with these Shemp films, as they are of a 1944 - 1945 vintage.  Just my guess, but if so, really a shame.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

You learn something new everyday here. I didn't know Billy Gilbert was making films in the 40s, let alone with Shemp. He was always one of my favorite Hal Roach supporting players.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

You learn something new everyday here. I didn't know Billy Gilbert was making films in the 40s, let alone with Shemp. He was always one of my favorite Hal Roach supporting players.

He even had a very short (3 shorts) two reeler series with Columbia in the 40s.

Offline locoboymakesgood

He even had a very short (3 shorts) two reeler series with Columbia in the 40s.
This is why Sony needs to open the vaults on the 2-reelers for the MOD service. Those would be interesting to see.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Copyright Hell?  That's a shame.  Will the real owners of these films please stand up?  I wish they would.  Don't they know that they could make a lot of money from stuff like this?