Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Richard Dawson, 79, Actor, Comedian, Game Show Host

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Actor, comedian and game show host/panelist Richard Dawson has died in Los Angeles at 79.

HOGAN'S HEROES  Sticky Wicket Newkirk (1968)
(WORLD IN A DAZE costar Jay Sheffield appears briefly in the opening sequence)

FAMILY FEUD (1980)

THE MATCH GAME (1975)

THE DIANA DORS SHOW (1959)

MUNSTER, GO HOME! (1966)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My mother was a huge Richard Dawson fan, from Hogan's Heroes through Family Feud. Dawson proved that hosting a game show is not as easy as it looks; compare his FF to the wretched abomination that is Steve Harvey, the current host.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ProfessorStooge

Richard Dawson was hilarious on The Match Game and was almost always chosen for the bonus round. The introduction of the Star Wheel led to his departure. He was even asked to host the current series before Louie Anderson got the job, but decided not to. I have seen some Feud episodes with Steve Harvey. His reactions to some players' answers are absolutely priceless.

Offline Curly4444

My mother was a huge Richard Dawson fan, from Hogan's Heroes through Family Feud. Dawson proved that hosting a game show is not as easy as it looks; compare his FF to the wretched abomination that is Steve Harvey, the current host.

I like Steve Harvey. He makes the show funny and fun. Some of those other host(Louie Anderson, tool time guy, and the Seinfeld guy),  were boring and lifeless. Harvey's a comic genius.

His reactions to some players' answers are absolutely priceless.

Exactly, that's what im talking about.

R.I.P Richard Dawson

Offline falsealarms

Talking about the beginnings of FUED in this recent-ish interview

Offline Curly4444

Man, he really looked bad, what a shame. :-[  Anyone know what he died of?

Offline QuinceHead

Man, he really looked bad, what a shame. :-[  Anyone know what he died of?

Cancer of the esophagus...  :-\

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

xraffle

I like Steve Harvey. He makes the show funny and fun. Some of those other host(Louie Anderson, tool time guy, and the Seinfeld guy),  were boring and lifeless. Harvey's a comic genius.

I liked Louie Anderson and John O'Hurley. Richard Karn was ok, but he likes to throw in a corny joke every now and then.

As for Richard Dawson, it always disturbed me the way he kissed the female contestants on the lips. Maybe back then it wasn't a big deal, but if I ever greeted a woman with a casual kiss on the lips, I'd get slapped silly.

Offline falsealarms

I liked Louie Anderson and John O'Hurley. Richard Karn was ok, but he likes to throw in a corny joke every now and then.

As for Richard Dawson, it always disturbed me the way he kissed the female contestants on the lips. Maybe back then it wasn't a big deal, but if I ever greeted a woman with a casual kiss on the lips, I'd get slapped silly.

Dawson on kissing:

Offline hiramhorwitz

Which of course was the impetus for the following early 1980s joke.

Question:  What's the biggest cause of oral herpes?

Answer:  Richard Dawson.

Dawson on kissing:

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Steve Harvey is one of the most untalented, unfunny beings to ever walk the Earth. All he did was ride on the coattails of contemporaries like Bernie Mac to success. I wish him nothing but ill will in all of his future endeavors.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

I haven't watched Family Feud ever since John O'Hurley left. So, I can't make a fair opinion of Steve Harvey. I've only seen him in those few YouTube clips that were posted here. Is he that bad?

Offline luke795

Did anyone like Ray Combs?

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I used to have the hugest crush on Richard in his FF days.  He's with Goober now up in Heaven. :(  All of the other hosts sucked.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Curly4444

Steve Harvey is one of the most untalented, unfunny beings to ever walk the Earth. All he did was ride on the coattails of contemporaries like Bernie Mac to success. I wish him nothing but ill will in all of his future endeavors.

Man, dont hold back. lol I find him funny as hell on family feud.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Not to mention ugly as hell.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Curly4444

Is this a race thing? I'm not really a judge of guys, but i wouldn't call Steve Harvey ugly. I dont understand all the Steve Harvey hating.

Offline Lefty

I watched GSN's tribute to Richard Dawson from Thursday night.  It was the first time in this century that I watched entire episodes of Family Feud except when wrestlers were on.  GSN's shows FF (Karn and Harvey mostly, with some O'Hurley thrown in) almost 100 times a week.  I couldn't even watch the Stooges, or my favorite game show Match Game, or my favorite show of all time, Hogan's Heroes, more than 10 times a week. 

RIP, Richard!

Offline Larrys#1

Had to resurrect this thread after I stumbled across this post. I'm a bit surprised how anyone could dislike Steve Harvey. He's been a successful host of Family Feud for 12 years so far because he's brought about comedy that none of his predecessors were able to achieve. I believe Anderson and Karn both hurt the ratings of the game show, but Harvey has boosted ratings ever since he took on the hosting role.