Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Laurel and Hardy tournament anyone?

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I'm really on the fence about this one because I don't know how many people would participate.  If I held a Laurel and Hardy tournament with the 40 sound shorts, would you participate?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

• Bunionhead
Yes.

You could also consider a Keaton sound shorts tournament (Educationals, Columbias). I think there's 26 of those combined.

Offline Rich Finegan

• Master Stooge
  • Puddinhead
Yes.
And in a Keaton tournament, too, if you feel like starting one.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I'll go for it.  I'll sort the brackets out this weekend. By the way, if a Keaton tournament does take place, no way I'm not including silent shorts, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Well, I gotta say, this will be much less time consuming than a Stooge tournament, being only 40 shorts.

As far as why no silents for Laurel and Hardy, my reasons:

- 40 is a nice even number, why mess with a good thing?
- The whole confusion over the "pre-Laurel and Hardy shorts."  Really, only two of them could arguably be considered real Laurel and Hardy shorts anyway.
- While the silents are available, not quite as readily so these days, and the talking films all came out recently on DVD.

I do like silent Laurel and Hardy too, but we'll just simplify it with just talkies.  I have an idea for a future features tournament, and it will be epic.  Let's just do something simple and fun for now, though.
- Doug Sarnecky