Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge directors on DVD, 2/14/12

Offline falsealarms

Budget outfit Alpha Video is releasing a DVD with 4 shorts from the 1930s on 2/14. Two of the shorts are directed by Del Lord and the other two by Harry Edwards. Oldies.com has a pre-order for 5.95.

Shorts included:

Leave It To Dad (1933): When their meddling parents try to break them up, a young couple runs off to elope. Stars George Bickel, Jane Dale, Fern Emmett, John Harron, Lloyd Ingraham; directed by Harry J. Edwards.

The Super Snooper (1934): A millionaire tycoon takes a job as a hotel janitor in order to spy on his daughter's paramour. Stars Andy Clyde, Jason Robards, Dorothy Dix; directed by Harry J. Edwards.

Making The Rounds (1934): A couple of pals set out for a monumental night of drinking and debauchery, with their angry wives hot on their tails. Stars Eugene Pallette, Walter Catlett; directed by Del Lord.

Sailors Beware! (1933): A gang of trigger-happy racketeers are no match for a couple of girl-crazy sailors on leave. Stars Eugene Pallette, Walter Catlett; directed by Del Lord

I've never heard of any of these titles... but some sound interesting... is anyone familiar with them?

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/6730D.html

Offline metaldams

I just looked up Leave it to Dad and according to imdb, it's a Langdon short, yet he's not listed in that list you included.  I can definitely believe it's a Langdon, as both he and Edwards worked together a lot.  Interesting DVD, and for Alpha prices, it's a no brainer.  Of course we're not talking restored quality probably, but you get what you pay for.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Yeah, that list is from the oldies.com website. I couldn't find anything on MAKING THE ROUNDS (1934).

Offline falsealarms

The only one of these titles with much out there seems to be SAILORS BEWARE, one of the Del Lord directed titles. An IMDB user by the name of Ralph Celentano wrote this review on IMDB:

"Dorothy Granger with her group of thieves are out to get a winning lottery ticket at any cost from two sailors (Eugene Palette & Walter Catlett). From pick-up to Eugene's near seduction to a riot on the Hollenbeck Park Lake, this precode slapstick gem hits all the marks for hilarity.  Del Lord directs this Phil L. Ryan produced Paramount short. Look for future Oscar winner Walter Brennan as a stuttering thief.

Note: Hollenbeck Park is the same location that Laurel & Hardy's MEN O'WAR was filmed 4 years earlier.

There were 6 Palette-Catlett Paramount shorts made and this is the only one I have been able to locate and screen."

The L&H link, if true, would be an interesting connection. None of these 4 shorts even have 5 votes at IMDB, so it doesn't seem like many people have seen them.

Sailors Beware on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756716/

Offline metaldams

I think the vast majority of 30's comedy shorts don't have 5 votes.  There really is a lot of rare and unknown to discover with this hobby assuming you can find it.  Again, this DVD's a no-brainer for this price.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I just looked up Leave it to Dad and according to imdb, it's a Langdon short, yet he's not listed in that list you included.  I can definitely believe it's a Langdon, as both he and Edwards worked together a lot.  Interesting DVD, and for Alpha prices, it's a no brainer.  Of course we're not talking restored quality probably, but you get what you pay for.

Interesting find on that short:

Ringers, Occasionally Cited as Langdon Films

Leave It to Dad (1933, per Eyquem and Schonert: Educational; Harry Edwards, director): Leonard Maltin (1972) says Leave It to Dad was made by Educational's Mermaid unit, which produced Langdon's films, but Harry does not appear in the film.

http://silent-movies.org/Langdon/Films5.html

Offline falsealarms

If anyone has gotten this, I'd be curious how the quality is.

Offline falsealarms

My copy of this just shipped, but hopefully the picture quality isn't too bad. Just hope it's decent. The oldies.com page indicated these titles came from the Sam Sherman archives (I'm not familiar with that) so maybe they've been well kept. We'll see.

Offline metaldams

My copy of this just shipped, but hopefully the picture quality isn't too bad. Just hope it's decent. The oldies.com page indicated these titles came from the Sam Sherman archives (I'm not familiar with that) so maybe they've been well kept. We'll see.

Lemme know how it is please.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Lemme know how it is please.

The quality isn't great, but not terrible. The two Edwards directed shorts look better than the two Lord's.

LEAVE IT TO DAD is pretty clever. The Clyde short has its moments. MAKING THE ROUNDS was a disappointment. SAILORS BEWARE was solid.