Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 94458

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

Offline Rich Finegan

Regarding the omission from this set of the Shemp short NOT GUILTY ENOUGH and the Besser short CUCKOORANCHO, has anyone heard any reason why?

Did they just forget to include them?
Did they not know about them (not realize they're Stooge solo shorts that should be included)?
Do they possibly not have good material on them to do a restoration?
Did they feel there isn't enough space on the DVD's and needed to leave some off for space considerations?
Are they deliberately saving these two shorts for the next box-set some time in the future, so there will still be some rarities to tempt us who already bought this set to buy the next one? (Maybe along with the Screen Snapshots shorts).

Another question about this new release:
On the front of the box it says "Including never-before-released material."
What could that material be? Some of the solo shorts have been hard to find but none are actually "never-before-released".

Also, I wonder if anyone at SONY thought of including the 1937 commercial/trailer short SURPRISE SURPRISE that was only relatively recently confirmed not to be lost.

xraffle

I have to say. I never imagined that these bonus discs would be something like this. I've been dying to see "Rockin' In The Rockies." And also watching those Shemp solos for the first time would be interesting as well. I have to agree with Jim, this is such a big "fuck you" to us fans if this doesn't get a separate release. Right now, I'm going to give it a benefit of a doubt that maybe Sony will release it separately, but if they don't, I'm not going to be happy. And as much as I want these, double-dipping is out of the question. I normally don't mind double dipping 1 or 2 movies, but to double-dip on all 8 volumes, that's ridiculous!

Offline Stooges#1

Not that this makes it better in terms of double-dipping, but I think Sony (more specifically Amazon.com) have got this collection at a price point where you can easily sell your 8 volumes and redeem most if not all of the money it would cost for this collection.

On eBay in Australia 10 of these have sold. For $130. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-THREE-STOOGES-Vol-1-2-3-4-24-DVD-38-hours-NEW-R4-/290508667629?pt=AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows&hash=item43a3aa7aed

Selling the complete collection, even used, should easily fetch close to the amount Amazon are selling this new collection for.

xraffle

Not that this makes it better in terms of double-dipping, but I think Sony (more specifically Amazon.com) have got this collection at a price point where you can easily sell your 8 volumes and redeem most if not all of the money it would cost for this collection.

On eBay in Australia 10 of these have sold. For $130. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-THREE-STOOGES-Vol-1-2-3-4-24-DVD-38-hours-NEW-R4-/290508667629?pt=AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows&hash=item43a3aa7aed

Selling the complete collection, even used, should easily fetch close to the amount Amazon are selling this new collection for.

Is anyone here planning on doing this? That's too much trouble for me.

Offline Curly4444

Is anyone here planning on doing this? That's too much trouble for me.

Sorry, but im not a member of amagamated association of morons local 6 7/8. So, fuck no.

Offline Stooges#1

Sorry, but im not a member of amagamated association of morons local 6 7/8. So, fuck no.

Them's fighting words in my country!  [pie]

xraffle

Shemp right? Cant remember which episode.

It's from "Hold That Lion."

And I agree with you. I'm not selling and rebuying all 8 volumes. Like I said, that's too much trouble. I'll patiently wait for a separate release. If they don't separately release in March, they'll release at some point later on.

Offline HELLOLARRY

The release has been pushed back to June. I still think (hope) we'll be surprised with a separate release. Again, I'll reserve comment and complaining for the press release.

I have done what some are suggesting when it comes to complete series releases. When MASH was being released, I bought every season. Then they did the complete collection with two discs of bonus features unique to that set. Well I found out about this early enough and put my previous 10 seasons on EBay which sold. I used that to augment purchasing the complete series. My out of pocket was about the same as what I would have paid for a separate season 11 box. Now, this release strategy really p.o'd the fan base (similar to how many of us feel will happen with this Stooges release) so believe it or not, Fox did the right thing. Sometime after the complete collection came out, they released the final episode of MASH separately with the bonus content. Of course people had to double dip there but the financial hit was nowhere near what it would have been. I did a similar thing with the Brady Bunch and now with new shows I like, I wait until they run their course on television and then get the complete series box. It's kinda tricky though as with older product, it does depend on sales as to how deep they'll go with the series. With new ones, it is a no brainer - they release season by season as a means to promote the upcoming seasons so they aren't counting on my $$s necessarily for that.

It could be a lot of work but at this point, how many people are alaready doing that. Depends how flooded the market is. For me, if the content is unique to the box I'm giving my individual releases to my Goddaughters.

It's worth a shot if you want to do it and isn't all that time consuming.

Offline archiezappa

If Sony has pushed back the release date, I can only guess that maybe they're getting wise.  I'm figuring that they do listen to us, since it was us who pushed for the release of all the 190 short subjects. 

As for the shorts left off of "Rare Treasures," I can only guess that those may be included in a (possibly) 1960s Feature Films box set.  I'm imagining that anything left over, that has not been released, could be put out with the box of the Curly-Joe era features.

Let's keep letting them know how we feel about these sets!  If we all stick together, our dreams (and our DVD collections) will all come true.

Offline falsealarms

Offline CLM3S

• Porcupine
  • All the samey!! Washy shirty?
Sony's website still says March 27th also. Anyone know for sure if it's been pushed back?

Offline locoboymakesgood

I can only guess that those may be included in a (possibly) 1960s Feature Films box set.  I'm imagining that anything left over, that has not been released, could be put out with the box of the Curly-Joe era features.
Sorry, but it doesn't make sense for Sony to re-release the features like that when they're already throwing Have Rocket, Will Travel on to the rarities set.

I can appreciate Sony is giving the fans one last hurrah in terms of Stooge content but I honestly believe this will be the last DVD release you see them put out in regards to factory-pressed store bought DVDs. If they were planning a feature box then I'm sure Have Rocket, Will Travel would have been thrown in that. Why separate them like that? It doesn't make sense.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Last "DVD" - probably. But I still say watch out for Blu Ray at some point.

Offline ProfessorStooge

There are some films from the Stooges' early years and their time at Columbia that have yet to see DVD release. The Universal feature Myrt & Marge, the MGM films Turn Back the Clock and Fugitive Lovers, and the Columbia features Start Cheering and Time Out for Rhythm are the remaining films.

Offline QuinceHead

I wonder if Sony outsourced the production of this boxed set to "Dewey Cheetham and Howe"??!

:o

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline archiezappa

I wonder if Sony outsourced the production of this boxed set to "Dewey Cheetham and Howe"??!

Larry:  Do you think it would be possible...

Moe:  I don't think it would be possible.

Offline archiezappa

At the very least, they could take the discs from the remaining feature films and put them in a new digipak, together.

Oh well.  I guess it's just not going to work out.  I hate that these films are being held captive like this.  I'm just going to have to be happy with what I already have.  I want to see the other films, but I refuse to double dip!

If they are really not going to restore/remaster all of the Curly-Joe films, I'll always feel that something is really missing from the Three Stooges Collection.  Nope, I don't like it!

If they would do the right thing and issue two more box sets:  "Rare Treasures" and "The 1960's Features" that would be perfect.  Will they do this?  Who knows.  The whole situation stinks, if you asked me.  (Perhaps, you didn't ask me?)

Offline ILMM

At the very least, they could take the discs from the remaining feature films and put them in a new digipak, together.

Oh well.  I guess it's just not going to work out.  I hate that these films are being held captive like this.  I'm just going to have to be happy with what I already have.  I want to see the other films, but I refuse to double dip!

If they are really not going to restore/remaster all of the Curly-Joe films, I'll always feel that something is really missing from the Three Stooges Collection.  Nope, I don't like it!

If they would do the right thing and issue two more box sets:  "Rare Treasures" and "The 1960's Features" that would be perfect.  Will they do this?  Who knows.  The whole situation stinks, if you asked me.  (Perhaps, you didn't ask me?)

If the picture posted is accurate, and I don't see why someone would go to the trouble to make
such a good looking fake, I think they will release it individually at some point. Maybe later on;
it would be foolish not to. At any rate, I can afford to wait.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has a Facebook page.  They posted the following announcement today...

Hey Stooges fans, we’ve got some news! While the studio has yet to formally announce the release of a new 3 Stooges Box set, there are plans to make the unreleased material available for a later purchase outside of the new collector’s set. Stay tuned for more!

Rockin' In The Rockies (1945)
Have Rocket -- Will Travel (1959)

Shemp Howard
Home On The Rage (1938)
The Glove Slingers (1939)
Pleased To Mitt You (1940)
Money Squawks (1940)
Boobs In The Woods (1940)
Pick A Peck Of Plumbers (1944)
Open Season For Saps (1944)
A Hit With A Miss (1945)
Off Again, On Again (1945)
Where The Pest Begins (1945)
Jiggers, My Wife (1946)
Mr. Noisy (1946)
Society Mugs (1946)
Bride And Gloom (1947)

Joe Besser
Waiting In The Lurch (1949)
Dizzy Yardbird (1950)
Fraidy Cat (1950)
Caught On The Bounce (1952)
Aim, Fire, Scoot (1952)
Spies And Guys (1953)
The Fire Chaser (1954)
G.I. Dood It (1955)
Hook A Crook (1955)
Army Daze (1956)

Joe DeRita
Slappily Married (1946)
The Good Bad Egg (1947)
Wedlock Deadlock (1947)
Jitter Bughouse (1948)

Color Rhapsody cartoons
The Bon Bon Parade (1935)
The Merry Mutineers (1936)
A Hollywood Detour (1942)

Offline metaldams

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has a Facebook page.  They posted the following announcement today...

Hey Stooges fans, we’ve got some news! While the studio has yet to formally announce the release of a new 3 Stooges Box set, there are plans to make the unreleased material available for a later purchase outside of the new collector’s set. Stay tuned for more!

[headbang]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Hell Yeah! The best news I've heard all week. Go Sony!!!

[clap]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline falsealarms

Good news, but I still might get the box set and not risk this stuff ending up on DVD-Rs via their MOD program.