Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 95837

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

Offline falsealarms

Darn it!! >:( Now I'm kicking myself for not shopping more patiently before pulling the trigger with Buy.com at $61.99!
 :o I didn't think any seller of this set would go as low as $44.99!!
For all you good fans that had been holding out, maybe you won't mind double-dipping now for only $44.99! That's a fantastic deal no matter how you look at it!

Thank you, falsealarms, for your reply concerning Not Guilty Enough.

One bad thing about buy.com is that it's almost impossible to get out of pre-orders with them, anyway.

Offline HELLOLARRY

I stumbled across the sale price while looking at something else and happened to have a gift card for BB so my expenses for the set were covered.  I have a bit of a busy day but will pick the set up at some point once I get the notice that it is there. If I get a chance to watch I will post some thoughts later or check back in to see what other peoples thoughts are.

Offline Paul Allen

One bad thing about buy.com is that it's almost impossible to get out of pre-orders with them, anyway.
:( Lesson learned, falsealarms... lesson learned.

I just called one of the local BestBuy stores here in the Memphis, Tennessee area and the young man there said they have 3 sets... $45 each.

[pie] [pie] [pie]

Offline falsealarms

Well, mine has arrived. The box opens from the top and you see all the wrapped sets in there. The bonus discs being stacked on one spindle is rather disappointing (and cheap) but luckily mine came unscratched. They've since been moved to another case. Some people will be disappointed that no plot summaries are included with the bonus discs, so some might have to refer to threestooges.net if they don't know what's going on. The big black box itself isn't the sturdiest stock and probably won't hold up that well over time. There's not much on it besides a photo of the Stooges on each side. It's not like the A&C Universal Collection trunk which is noticeably thicker stock.

I've sampled the bonus discs and the quality is generally pretty strong. It blows away the shoddy collector copies that have popped up from time to time - the difference is generally so dramatic it doesn't feel like the same short.  The only thing I might see are a few hints of compression artifacts but nothing too bad.  The menu's are simple, but well designed and kind of snazzy. BeAStooge hadn't seen the same shorts that I hadn't, so you know how rare some of these are if he hadn't seen them before. At the end of the day, it's hard to believe proper release of this stuff is a reality.

I've taken a few photos off my computer screen to show a few things in general terms.... this stuff would look better played on a TV, especially upconverted via a BR player.

Top of box: http://i47.tinypic.com/2qkm2jd.jpg (bonus discs were wrapped originally)

The Fire Chaser: http://i47.tinypic.com/70gxef.jpg

Menu: http://i49.tinypic.com/2s1kqxi.jpg

ThumpTheShoes

The big black box itself isn't the sturdiest stock and probably won't hold up that well over time.

Ain't that the truth-- take one set out and the whole box goes flimsy. The embossed front photo and the metallic sheen to the others is nice, though!

Offline falsealarms

Played on a TV and upconverted via a BR player, the shorts look even better.... no better/worse than the Stooge shorts.

The three Clyde/Shemp shorts are revelations in their remastered glory. HOME ON THE RAGE (1938) and BOOBS IN THE WOODS (1940) are as good as anything the Stooges were doing at the time. MONEY SQUAWKS is strong as well. Clyde and Shemp are a great pair.

GLOVE SLINGERS is another strong showing. It was the first short in the GLOVE SLINGERS series, which is usually seen as a misfire, but the story here is engaging. I believe Shemp and a few other characters are briefly on the same sidewalk Moe, Larry, and Curly are on in the beginning of A DUCKING THEY DID GO.

This kind of case is an ideal replacement if you don't want to leave the bonus discs stacked: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Premium-14mm-Black-Triple-with-Tray-Multi-3-Discs-load-DVD-CD-R-Case-Box-/300638556463?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item45ff74512f#ht_2171wt_346

xraffle

Too bad I didn't hold off on getting the 8 volumes. Getting all 190 shorts plus the bonus discs for around $50 is a steal! If I didn't have these 8 volumes already, today would've been the happiest day of my life. But sadly, I threw that joy away when I decided to buy the 8 volumes individually as they came out.

xraffle

Read this Amazon review...
http://www.amazon.com/review/R334MNIH4Q4K60

Someone said they confirmed it with Sony that the Bonus discs will not be released separately after all. Can someone confirm whether this reviewer is correct?

Offline falsealarms

Too bad I didn't hold off on getting the 8 volumes. Getting all 190 shorts plus the bonus discs for around $50 is a steal! If I didn't have these 8 volumes already, today would've been the happiest day of my life. But sadly, I threw that joy away when I decided to buy the 8 volumes individually as they came out.

You can still buy it. Just do what I did, which is pass on some other things I might have bought and just invest the savings in this. As for Sony and the bonus discs, who knows, but if it's true I wouldn't be surprised. If someone here can find their number, maybe they should call them.

xraffle

You can still buy it.

Nah, I'm not that desperate to have these. I only meant that it would be a happy day if I were buying all 190 shorts for the first time and getting them for only $50 or less. And getting the Rare Treasures DVDs would be an added bonus. If Sony never intends to release the bonus content separately, then so be it.

Offline falsealarms

BeAStooge, what were your impressions of the other shorts you hadn't seen?

Offline falsealarms

From a poster at DVDTalk who e-mailed Sony:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

The Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set, unfortunately will not be released seperately by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. You may find the Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set sold seperately on www.amazon.com, www.ebay.com, or other similar shopping sites.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,
Brian Griffin
SPHE Consumer Affairs

xraffle

Oh well. We got screwed for sure. What can you do?

I will not be rebuying all 8 volumes just to get this. If you guys want to, that's up to you. It's just a real shame that us fans that supported Sony throughout these releases have to be punished.

Offline falsealarms

Some additional thoughts on the other solo shorts. Hopefully there's no big spoilers here.

If anyone else has watched these, feel free to chime in!

Shemp solos:

PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS - Making Brendel and Shemp plumbers offers an array of clever comedy situations and this one doesn't disappoint. El Brendel is better when he's teamed with someone than he is on his own.

OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS - It had its moments, but lags behind the previous ones on the set. Not a stinker, just not great.

OFF AGAIN, ON AGAIN - Clever plot with Shemp's finance wrongly thinking he was in love with another woman and then Shemp trying to get a gangster (Dick Curtis) to knock him off.... only to eventually want the "favor" called off.

WHERE THE PEST BEGINS - Shemp is in great form. He causes all kinds of problems for his new neighbor (Tom Kennedy). This one starts off well with Shemp fouling things up in his own kitchen.

A HIT WITH A MISS - A remake of PUNCH DRUNKS, though it falls short of the original. It was still fun to see Shemp in the Curly role.

MR. NOISY - Arguably Shemp's finest moments in these solo shorts. The heckling scenes are excellent. The only strike here is that the ending is a little weak.

JIGGERS, MY WIFE - This is a very good, fast-paced marital comedy with Shemp in hot water with this wife for late night poker games and an alleged affair. Symona Boniface stands out as a nosy neighbor. Early Cantrell, who was also in OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS, is pretty good. Too bad she was never in a Stooge short. Are those outdoor scenes in front of the house on the Columbia lot or a residential street?

SOCIETY MUGS -  A remake of TERMITES FOR 1938 and it's about as good as the original. The best parts of this short are the last several minutes when mice as discovered in the house. Wild ending. Shemp and Tom Kennedy compliment each other well.

BRIDE AND GLOOM - Another marital comedy, but it's good fun. The Shemp solo series ends on a high note with a great cast - Dent, McIntyre, Willes, H.Conklin, Curtis, Sitka. Lynton Brent and Lew Davis appear for the last time in a Stooge related film.

Bottom Line: These Shemp solos are generally very good and further prove how talented and versatile he was as a performer.

Besser solos:

WAITING IN THE LURCH - Good comedy with Besser playing a groom to be that's obsessed with chasing fires. Clever bit with a fire pole in Besser's house and look for Hugh McCollum's name on the citation on Besser's wall. McCollum produced this short.

DIZZY YARDBIRD - Starts off a little slow, but gets better as the short goes on. Lots of funny business in the mess hall.

FRAIDY CAT - A remake of DIZZY DETECTIVES, which isn't one my favorite shorts to begin with. This one doesn't do anything to improve on it. A little boring.

AIM, FIRE, SCOOT - Good military comedy that will bring back memories of BOOBS IN ARMS. Outdoor shooting is a plus.

CAUGHT ON THE BOUNCE - Very good domestic/train comedy. The notes at threestooges.net indicate this was filmed about a week after CUCKOO ON A CHOO CHOO and the same train set appears to be used in both.

SPIES AND GUYS - Lightning fast military comedy with Besser on a high risk mission in enemy territory. Angela Stevens is lavishing at the end of this one. Has a supporting player ever looked as good? The outdoor shooting is a plus. Might be the best Besser solo.

THE FIRE CHASER - A remake of WAITING IN THE LURCH, but it improves on the original. The new footage at the wedding and the hospital is great. New sequences were shot in July 1954 (threestooges.net) which makes this close to the end of the line for Dent and McIntyre.

GI DOOD IT - A remake of DIZZY YARDBIRD, but an improvement. The remake moves a little better, the new butcher shop sequences are pretty good, and the talking dogs at the beginning and end are cute. Jules White must have been channeling his Dogville shorts from the early 30s.

HOOK A CROOK - A remake of FRAIDY CAT. The few new scenes are good (look for Dudley Dickerson) but they can't save this effort.

ARMY DAZE - A weak remake of AIM, FIRE, SCOOT.

Bottom Line: The 10 Besser shorts offer more good than bad and make him look better than he ever did as a Stooge.

DeRita solos:

SLAPPILY MARRIED - Good short with DeRita playing a husband in hot water with the wife. Great kitchen scene to open the short.

GOOD, BAG EGG - Misses the mark for me. The kid (Norman Ollestead) was pretty unlikable.

WEDLOCK DEADLOCK - Another one that misses the mark for me. This one didn't do much for me.

JITTER BUGHOUSE - In one word: bad. The Novel-ettes are pretty awful.

Bottom line: The series starts off on a strong note, but is followed by two forgettable shorts and a total stinker. I liked DeRita better as a Stooge than I did in these four solo shorts - the opposite of Besser, who I thought shined brighter in the solos.

Overall big picture - While not all winners, these solo shorts are often fascinating and were long overdue to receive a formal release. Several of them can compete with Stooge shorts of the time.

Offline Stooges#1

Oh well. We got screwed for sure. What can you do?

I will not be rebuying all 8 volumes just to get this. If you guys want to, that's up to you. It's just a real shame that us fans that supported Sony throughout these releases have to be punished.

You know what made up my mind about NOT buying the Ultimate Collection, when I was talking about buying them up to a couple days ago? It was the comparison topic that's popped titled Can Someone Do Comparison Screenshots Of... and how old Moe and Larry look. Granted they are old men there, but I'd rather remember them from their Columbia shorts days and not own this extra DVD set.

So I'm good with owning my 8 Volumes, especially since those 8 Volumes contain exactly what I came for. All 190 shorts.

xraffle

You know what made up my mind about NOT buying the Ultimate Collection, when I was talking about buying them up to a couple days ago? It was the comparison topic that's popped titled Can Someone Do Comparison Screenshots Of... and how old Moe and Larry look. Granted they are old men there, but I'd rather remember them from their Columbia shorts days and not own this extra DVD set.

So I'm good with owning my 8 Volumes, especially since those 8 Volumes contain exactly what I came for. All 190 shorts.

Well Moe and Larry are young in "Rockin' In The Rockies." That feature film is the only reason why I would like to get the extra discs. The solo shorts are secondary to me.

But I'm with you. All 190 shorts are #1 on my list and I have them. So, I'm satisfied with what I have.

ThumpTheShoes

The draw for this set is not so much the features (or the forgettable cartoons) but, rather, the solo shorts and appearances of Shemp, Besser and DeRita. The films are curios, heretofore rarely seen and mostly very worthy forays into the non-stooge, comedy short subject genre. The evident truths: Some of the Shemps misfire; Besser can actually carry a short picture; Believe it or not, while DeRita's short films may be lacking in the writing/execution department, we get to see a slightly slimmer, more animated and jubilant persona from the guy who would be Curly Joe-- a real glimpse into what made him a contender at Columbia.

The films range from fascinating (as a rare curiosity) to amusing, to downright hysterically funny. Sony should reconsider and make these available as a separate set for hardcore and casual fans. And maybe expand the series, since there is still some very worthy stuff left in the vaults in the form of Andy Clyde shorts, Charley Chase (some of those were released before though, right?), the Tom Kennedy and Dudley Dickerson pairing with El Brendel-- even the Harry Von Zell shorts are, at the very worst, worth a look. Given a chance, the Rare Treasures line could have been it's own huge box set. A little more faith could equal much more dough for the Sony.

Offline falsealarms

The draw for this set is not so much the features (or the forgettable cartoons) but, rather, the solo shorts and appearances of Shemp, Besser and DeRita. The films are curios, heretofore rarely seen and mostly very worthy forays into the non-stooge, comedy short subject genre. The evident truths: Some of the Shemps misfire; Besser can actually carry a short picture; Believe it or not, while DeRita's short films may be lacking in the writing/execution department, we get to see a slightly slimmer, more animated and jubilant persona from the guy who would be Curly Joe-- a real glimpse into what made him a contender at Columbia.

The films range from fascinating (as a rare curiosity) to amusing, to downright hysterically funny. Sony should reconsider and make these available as a separate set for hardcore and casual fans. And maybe expand the series, since there is still some very worthy stuff left in the vaults in the form of Andy Clyde shorts, the Tom Kennedy and Dudley Dickerson pairing-- even the Harry Von Zell shorts are, at the very worst, worth a look. Given a chance, the Rare Treasures line could have been it's own huge box set. A little more faith could equal much more dough for the Sony.

So well put, Thump.

What were some of your favorites and least favorites among the solos?

Offline QuinceHead

From a poster at DVDTalk who e-mailed Sony:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

The Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set, unfortunately will not be released seperately by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. You may find the Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set sold seperately on www.amazon.com, www.ebay.com, or other similar shopping sites.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,
Brian Griffin
SPHE Consumer Affairs

Well, ain't THAT a [thefinger] to people who've been supporting the range since Volume 1...  :(

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Curly4444

You guys just aren't getting it. Of course their not going to sell the "Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD" separately now. This is being used to get people to buy the set. Once this set has been out a long time, or run its course, i bet they will sell the "Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD" separately.  For me i'll be checking e-bay.

xraffle

You guys just aren't getting it. Of course their not going to sell the "Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD" separately now. This is being used to get people to buy the set. Once this set has been out a long time, or run its course, i bet they will sell the "Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD" separately. 

That tends to be the case based on my experience with other Complete Series sets. I remember when the "I Love Lucy" Complete Series came out. It had a bonus disc with a special movie that was only available on the complete series and those that bought the individual seasons got screwed. The studio said they would never release it separately, but three years later, they did.

While I do hope that we won't have to wait three years for the "Rare Treasures" discs to get a separate release, I believe they will release them sometime in the future. Eventually Sony will have already milked all the cash they possibly can from fans who were willing to purchase the entire set. Once they reach a dead end and no one is buying the complete set anymore, THEN they will release the bonus discs separately so they can make more money from the fans who refused to buy the complete set. Just watch. It may be a long wait, but we'll get that separate release eventually. This is not the first time I've been screwed by studios. The Three Stooges DVDs are not the only thing I collect, so I know from past experiences that these will get released separately. They key is patience.

ThumpTheShoes

What were some of your favorites and least favorites among the solos?

The Andy Clyde shorts with Shemp really stand out, for me, as some of the best. Those two really play off each other and their comic timing and style are so very similar. They're a treat to watch when their scenes "run long" and they start to ad-lib some.

Pictures like Mr. Noisy, Where the Pest Begins, and Boobs in the Woods are comedy gold for Shemp, who becomes a real-life Daffy Duck type character. A real wiseguy that just won't quit! Reminds me of his MGM solo efforts, such as The Officer's Mess, On the Wagon and Dizzy and Daffy. A genuine walking cartoon..

Besser in the army-- that tends to be the weakest comic premise of the set. The jokes are there, but sparse, and the whole whiny/prissy, overgrown kid in the military wears thin after a minute or two.

DeRita-- Jitter Bughouse = ??? Weak vehicle for all talent involved, and the weakest short of the bunch. Kind of makes me think of Sweet and Hot for some reason.

Offline Curly4444

While I do hope that we won't have to wait three years for the "Rare Treasures" discs to get a separate release, I believe they will release them sometime in the future. Eventually Sony will have already milked all the cash they possibly can from fans who were willing to purchase the entire set. Once they reach a dead end and no one is buying the complete set anymore, THEN they will release the bonus discs separately so they can make more money from the fans who refused to buy the complete set. Just watch. It may be a long wait, but we'll get that separate release eventually. This is not the first time I've been screwed by studios. The Three Stooges DVDs are not the only thing I collect, so I know from past experiences that these will get released separately. They key is patience.

That's what i was trying to say. You just said it better.  ;D Why wouldn't Sony release it separately? The demand is there and they'll make a killing.

I have plenty of patience, and i won't give in. I'll wait for the separate release or get it on e-bay.

Offline falsealarms

These Clyde shorts have further raised my interest in HOT PAPRIKA, the only other Columbia Clyde to get a formal DVD release. Unfortunately, it's an extra on a set of Hammer films I couldn't care less about. Has anyone seen it, though?

It's always fun to look back. Here's a quote from mid 2007 attributed to Mike Scheslinger of Sony. Posted back then at dvdtalk.

Anyway, here's the scoop: they will be released chronologically, at least three years' worth at a time, at reasonable prices, to conclude in '09 with a box of all the features. In addition, there will be some extras, including the solo shorts of Shemp, Joe D and Joe B, and the half dozen or so Screen Snapshots they appeared in.

Interesting that the features never showed up again and the screen snapshots never appeared either. The latter seem like fun, especially this one: http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/214

xraffle

I'll wait for the separate release or get it on e-bay.

There's probably going to be a lot of people bidding on it and it would probably exceed $30. I would wait for the separate release as I'm sure it will be around $20 the day it comes out.