Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Honeymooners Lost Episodes, 10/4/11

Offline falsealarms

This is a massive 15 disc set with a $130 SRP but it seems loaded. From tvshowsondvd.com -

Last week we reported that MPI Video is readying an October 4th release of The Honeymooners Lost Episodes: The Complete Restored Series. Now the studio's sent out some additional details about this 60th Anniversary set, and here they are point-by-point:

15 DVD set of the complete existing collection of all HONEYMOONERS skits produced from 1951-1957
    Approximately 50 hours of material, including over 10 hours of HONEYMOONERS productions not seen since the 1950s
    First-time-ever home video release of the 8 sought-after 1957 HONEYMOONERS musical hours not seen anywhere in over 5 decades
    First-time-ever home video release of half-a-dozen other HONEYMOONERS skits from The Jackie Gleason Show recently found in the vaults.
    First-time-ever DVD appearance of 8 surviving HONEYMOONERS skits from the 1951-1952 Cavalcade of Stars variety show.
    Digitally restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive
    Deluxe 42 page booklet with full HONEYMOONERS history and rare photos, compiled by Honeymooners expert Robert Bader

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/15757#ixzz1Tu9ACk6Y

xraffle

Wow!!!!!! I'm speechless. That $130 price tag looks steep, but that is actually a bargain. It even includes the Cavalcade of Stars skits!!!! Nice!! This is definitely worth it at that price tag. There are a lot of lost episodes, so yeah, this set is loaded!!

Offline falsealarms

xraffle

I have a whole mess of these episodes on video which I worked hard to convert to DVD. I even have about 8 volumes of the previously released DVDs that are now OOP.

But since this set has so many extra episodes, I'm definitely going to grab this. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on the Tom & Jerry and Laurel & Hardy sets so I can save up for this.

Offline moglia

Killer news!

Although the kinnescoped material is already as good as it will ever look, this is the key stuff:

First-time-ever home video release of the 8 sought-after 1957 HONEYMOONERS musical hours not seen anywhere in over 5 decades
    First-time-ever home video release of half-a-dozen other HONEYMOONERS skits from The Jackie Gleason Show recently found in the vaults.
    First-time-ever DVD appearance of 8 surviving HONEYMOONERS skits from the 1951-1952 Cavalcade of Stars variety show.

I've been waiting to see some of these skits since I was child in the 80's going to the RALPH conventions.

I hope the first ever skit with Carney playing a cop is included.

Offline Bum

Killer news!

Although the kinnescoped material is already as good as it will ever look......

Believe it or not, that's no longer the case. Has anyone seen the miraculous LiveFeed video process? I don't know how it works, but somehow they can take a kinescope and make the image on it appear live/videotaped, and that goes against all laws of video physics [common sense dictates that you can make a video image look like film, but not the opposite!]. There are several samples on Youtube- here's one from one of my favorite shows, What's My Line?

http://www.youtube.com/user/livefeedvideoimaging#p/u/1/fen4NN99_xs

Anyone who's familiar with the poor kinescope quality of the WML episodes shown on Game Show Network over the years should be absolutely blown away by this- doesn't it look like B&W videotape? It's nice to know that this process could potentially be used on the lost Honeymooners and other shows that survive only on kinescope; I guess the major stumbling block [as usual] is the cost.

Offline moglia

Believe it or not, that's no longer the case. Has anyone seen the miraculous LiveFeed video process? I don't know how it works, but somehow they can take a kinescope and make the image on it appear live/videotaped, and that goes against all laws of video physics [common sense dictates that you can make a video image look like film, but not the opposite!]. There are several samples on Youtube- here's one from one of my favorite shows, What's My Line?

Anyone who's familiar with the poor kinescope quality of the WML episodes shown on Game Show Network over the years should be absolutely blown away by this- doesn't it look like B&W videotape? It's nice to know that this process could potentially be used on the lost Honeymooners and other shows that survive only on kinescope; I guess the major stumbling block [as usual] is the cost.

Interesting.  Looks nice but I've no basis of comparison. I will say at times the people look a bit fake/wax figure like. MPI is not known for spending money so my guess is it's not going to be processed as in the link you posted.   

It's the material that has not been see since original airings that makes this set so potentially special.

Offline QuinceHead

For years now, the Doctor Who DVD range has been using the ViDFIRE process to restore episodes surviving only as film to their original videotaped look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VidFIRE

For duty and humanity, JohnH aka Autloc

xraffle

I'll probably get this at the end of the year as a Christmas present to myself if I'm good. ;D

xraffle

Anyone buy this today? Can anyone give their feedback regarding the packaging?

I saw this at J&R today for $79.99 and the box isn't that thick, which is surprising since it has 15 discs. I have a slight hunch that the packaging is quite lousy, which is disappointing since it's $80.  I do hope someone can prove me wrong.

I didn't buy it because I do not want to walk out of the store with an empty wallet. I'm thinking of holding off on this purchase until the price goes down or probably just skipping the set altogether since I already own 80% of the content. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

xraffle

I went to Sitcoms Online's message board and someone there already posted a picture of the packaging. So, that answers my question.

Source: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showpost.php?p=4606880&postcount=138

Offline falsealarms

That doesn't look too bad. At least you get plastic. Certainly better than the other big set this month, the LH one that looks like it uses cheap, scratch-producing paper sleeves.