Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection

BeAStooge · 201 · 60917

Linked Events

• DVD Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection: October 25, 2011 - October 31, 2011

Offline luke795

Offline 7stooges

What Laurel and Hardy feature films will be on this set?

All of their Roach features, except for "The Devils Brother", "Babes in Toyland", and "Bonnie Scotland", as they are no longer part of the Hal Roach library (I think Warner Brothers owns all three of those). None of the Fox or MGM films will be included, and neither will "The Flying Decues" and "Atoll K". And I'm pretty sure all of the talkie shorts will be included.

Offline metaldams

All of their Roach features, except for "The Devils Brother", "Babes in Toyland", and "Bonnie Scotland", as they are no longer part of the Hal Roach library (I think Warner Brothers owns all three of those). None of the Fox or MGM films will be included, and neither will "The Flying Decues" and "Atoll K". And I'm pretty sure all of the talkie shorts will be included.

You know, if that's the case, I need to buy a good copy of BABES IN TOYLAND, as I only own a color version. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
All of their Roach features, except for "The Devils Brother", "Babes in Toyland", and "Bonnie Scotland", as they are no longer part of the Hal Roach library (I think Warner Brothers owns all three of those).

FRA DIAVOLO (THE DEVIL'S BROTHER), BONNIE SCOTLAND and PICK A STAR are in the Warner library.

BABES IN TOYLAND's history-of-ownership has been much more complicated, but it is owned by MGM/UA.

I need to buy a good copy of BABES IN TOYLAND, as I only own a color version. 

MGM/UA's release of MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS is your best bet. A remastered version, transferred from a 35mm fine grain print in MGM's archives. It's packaged as the retitled MARCH for legal reasons, but presents the film with the original Hal Roach BABES IN TOYLAND opening titles. It's also available in a box set called "MGM Holiday Classics Collection."

Offline metaldams

MGM/UA's release of MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS is your best bet. A remastered version, transferred from a 35mm fine grain print in MGM's archives. It's packaged as the retitled MARCH for legal reasons, but presents the film with the original Hal Roach BABES IN TOYLAND opening titles. It's also available in a box set called "MGM Holiday Classics Collection."

Thanks Brent!  Will probably pick that up around the same time as the box set, making it all part of the marathon I plan on having.

- Doug Sarnecky

I've owned the UK set for over three years, it is a great set. 
As a result of Brent's post, and to help the cause; I pre-ordered The Essential Collection yesterday. 
Jim.  [pie]

Offline falsealarms

Disc by disc rundown, via Lou Lumenick of the NY Post -

And finally, here's a complete breakdown for the 10-disc "The Essential Laurel and Hardy'' set that will be released by RHI and Vivendi on October 27. It includes all of their surviving talkie features and shorts at the Hal Roach studios, excluding "The Devil's Brother'' and "Bonnie Scotland'' (still in print from Warner) and "Babes in Toyland'' (available from MGM under its reissue title "March of the Wooden Soldiers''). I understand two additional films in which the team appears -- MGM's oddball all-star revue "Hollywood Party'' and the Roach-produced Patsy Kelly vehicle "Pick a Star'' -- may be available from WAC by the end of the year as well.

DISC 1:
UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE 1929
BERTH MARKS 1929
MEN O' WAR 1929
PERFECT DAY 1929
THEY GO BOOM 1929
THE HOOSE-GOW 1929
NIGHT OWLS 1930
LADRONES (Night Owls, Spanish) 1930
BLOTTO 1930

DISC 2:
LA VIDA NOCTURNA (Blotto, Spanish) 1930
BRATS 1937
BRATS 1930 ORIGINAL VERSION 1930
BELOW ZERO 1930
TIEMBLA Y TITUBEA (Below Zero, Spanish) 1930
HOG WILD 1930
THE LAUREL & HARDY Murder Case 1930
NOCHE DE DUENDES (The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case & Berth Marks, Spanish) 1930
ANOTHER FINE MESS 1930

DISC 3:
BE BIG! 1931
CHICKENS COME HOME 1931
Politiquerias (Chickens Home, Spanish) 1931
LAUGHING GRAVY 1931
LES CAROTTIERS (Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, French) 1931

DISC 4:
LOS CALAVERAS (Be Big! & Laughing Gravy, Spanish) 1931
OUR WIFE 1931
PARDON US (extended version) 1931
COME CLEAN 1931
ONE GOOD TURN 1931
BEAU HUNKS 1931

DISC 5:
HELPMATES 1932
ANY OLD PORT 1932
THEMUSIC BOX 1932
THE CHIMP 1932
COUNTY HOSPITAL 1932
SCRAM! 1932
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES 1932
THEIR FIRST MISTAKE 1932

DISC 6:
TWICE TWO 1933
ME AND MY PAL 1933
THE MIDNIGHT PATROL 1933
BUSY BODIES 1933
DIRTY WORK 1933
SONS OF THE DESERT 1933
OLIVER THE EIGHTH 1934
GOING BYE-BYE! 1934

DISC 7:
THEM THAR HILLS 1934
THE LIVE GHOST 1934
TIT FOR TAT 1935
THE FIXER UPPERS 1935
THICKER THAN WATER 1935
THE BOHEMIAN GIRL 1936

DISC 8:
OUR RELATIONS 1936
WAY OUT WEST 1937
SWISS MISS 1938

DISC 9:
BLOCK-HEADS 1938
A CHUMP AT OXFORD - Shorter 1940
A CHUMP AT OXFORD - Longer 1940
SAPS AT SEA 1940

DISC 10:
SPECIAL FEATURES
A Tribute to Laurel & Hardy
On Location with Boys: Virtual Tour of set location and interactive map
Laurel & Hardy Guest Appearances
Laurel & Hardy Trailers

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_more_southwest_noir_kMtGgEiqkYCxU5baQb9UPL#ixzz1TEv5ye00

Offline metaldams

I understand two additional films in which the team appears -- MGM's oddball all-star revue "Hollywood Party'' and the Roach-produced Patsy Kelly vehicle "Pick a Star'' -- may be available from WAC by the end of the year as well.

You may or may not know this, but the Laurel and Hardy scenes in those films are included as extras in the Warner Brothers set.  "Hollywood Party," as I'm sure you know but just in case others don't, also has The Three Stooges in a small role.

That set list there looks great!  I have good Laurel and Hardy knowledge but I wouldn't consider myself an expert, so the fact there are extended versions of a few films and all the foreign language stuff is very fascinating to me.  I know Keaton did foreign language versions of a few of his MGM talkies as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Yep, I have that set. There's also a great documentary on that set about short subjects. Sam White and Lorna Gray make remarks in it. Third parties have it on Amazon for about 9 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/TCM-Archives-Collection-Brother-Scotland/dp/B000E1MXTQ/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

Offline falsealarms

Someone on another site pointed out that TOWED IN A HOLE is not on the list above... that has to be a mistake. Would be odd otherwise.

Offline falsealarms

TOWED IN A HOLE has since been added to the original list of contents.

Offline falsealarms

According to a post at HTF, this set also includes the shorts ON THE LOOSE (Pitts-Todd), WILD POSES (Our Gang), ON THE WRONG TREK (Charley Chase), and TREE IN A TEST TUBE.

Offline metaldams

Oy vey, it's coming out tomorrow.  How I wish I was 23 again and could spend my money as I please. 

As much as it pains me to say it, this'll have to wait and will be the only thing I ask for for my birthday, which is almost interchangeable with Christmas.  You guys that get it earlier, let me know how it is, please.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Oy vey, it's coming out tomorrow.  How I wish I was 23 again and could spend my money as I please. 

As much as it pains me to say it, this'll have to wait and will be the only thing I ask for for my birthday, which is almost interchangeable with Christmas.  You guys that get it earlier, let me know how it is, please.

I hear ya. Lots of things pulling at my wallet strings as well, but part of me can see waiting to get this and end up paying more. As it is, it's 35% off to pre-order. I gotta make up my mind soon.

Offline metaldams

I hear ya. Lots of things pulling at my wallet strings as well, but part of me can see waiting to get this and end up paying more. As it is, it's 35% off to pre-order. I gotta make up my mind soon.

I'll be getting it as a gift, so I'll be paying less no matter what.   [cool]  It's that waiting 2 months thing that gets me, but it'll be worth it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

If anyone hasn't ordered this, for the time being, you can get another 10% off pre-sale prices at bn.com.

The presale price of $65 is already $35 off list price, but with code M3E4F9R, you can save another $9.72 off that price... bringing you down to about $55 before tax. Shipping is free on orders of that amount.

That pre-sale price might get jacked up soon, but that coupon is said to be good until 10/31.

Offline falsealarms

If anyone has gotten this, feel free to post impressions, pics, etc ... very curious.

Offline QuinceHead

If anyone has gotten this, feel free to post impressions, pics, etc ... very curious.

As am I!!  ;D

So c'mon, be a regular guy and say a few syllables!  Utter a few adjectives...  ;)

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline QuinceHead

Bad reviews on the idiotic packaging are starting to appear:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RC9KN9I5RFQS/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005BYBZKY&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Cue the infamous "Oliver Hardy slow burn"...  :-\

"Here's another fine mess...!"

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

ThumpTheShoes

Just dug into this set for a quick run through. Transfers look really crisp, similar to the UK 21 disc set. Original titles! Images are clean, all "The End" titles (that I've auditioned) are fully visible for a change! Images retain a film look, as in no major dvnr artifacts. Some scenes are a little contrasty, probably due to the source material, but I can't compare them to other transfers until later.

One gripe: Way Out West still has the jump splice during "Blue Ridge Mountains" number ("Where sh/carved her name...").

The packaging isn't as bad as some say. Sturdy, loaded with info. Use a little extra care grabbing the discs.

Won't have time to really dig in until the weekend.

Offline falsealarms

Against better judgement, I bought this set. Here's my thoughts, and keep in mind, I typically have zero complaints about the packaging of DVDs/Blu Ray's I buy.
I can only think of two things bought in 10 years (a few hundred discs) packaged as shitty as this. And this might take the cake.

It's important to remember that we're reviewing the product here -- not just the films contained within it. These films are undoubtedly classics and some of the best comedy ever produced. We all know that by now. But the product itself falls woefully short all due to careless "sleeve" packaging. Whoever was behind this packaging should find a different line of work. They clearly don't know what they're doing and clearly don't understand that DVDs are fragile and putting them in cardboard sleeves is an invitation for scratches and scuffs. Now before anyone says "buy your own cases," listen - we're already spending upwards of $70 for this, likely a good chunk of change for most people buying this. We shouldn't need to buy accessories. And besides, there's no guarantee your discs won't be ruined upon arrival - before you even touch them, thanks to the way they are housed. As is, half the discs on my set were compromised in one way or another and it remains to be seen if they play correctly. It's like I bought a bunch of used DVDs the way some of them look. The only people to blame are RHI/Vivendi.

This book style packaging is a complete nightmare (even worse than I feared). The discs are in there so tight that you can't get them out without touching the delicate playing surface, which is the last thing you should have to do. The best solution? Rip this useless, ill-conceived "book" apart, throw what remains of it in the trash where it belongs, and grab the discs out by the sides and hope they are in decent shape before putting them in plastic cases... where they should have been stored to begin with.

Sending a defective set back isn't much of an answer -- odds are the next one you get will be scratched or scuffed on different discs than the first. The same packaging will produce the same results in different spots. Some have even reported remnants of GLUE on their discs -- are you kidding me? A few will get lucky and receive pristine sets, but they will be the exception. Don't count on being one.

I regret buying this set (and I'm a big L&H fan). I certainly won't buy anything else with RHI or Vivendi attached to it. You shouldn't either. With packaging like this, they don't give a damn about their products, so why should we? Hope was expressed earlier in this thread that this set would be "done right."

It wasn't. The "book" packaging is already in the trash. The discs probably will soon follow.

Offline metaldams

Against better judgement, I bought this set. Here's my thoughts, and keep in mind, I typically have zero complaints about the packaging of DVDs/Blu Ray's I buy.
I can only think of two things bought in 10 years (a few hundred discs) packaged as shitty as this. And this might take the cake.

It's important to remember that we're reviewing the product here -- not just the films contained within it. These films are undoubtedly classics and some of the best comedy ever produced. We all know that by now. But the product itself falls woefully short all due to careless "sleeve" packaging. Whoever was behind this packaging should find a different line of work. They clearly don't know what they're doing and clearly don't understand that DVDs are fragile and putting them in cardboard sleeves is an invitation for scratches and scuffs. Now before anyone says "buy your own cases," listen - we're already spending upwards of $70 for this, likely a good chunk of change for most people buying this. We shouldn't need to buy accessories. And besides, there's no guarantee your discs won't be ruined upon arrival - before you even touch them, thanks to the way they are housed. As is, half the discs on my set were compromised in one way or another and it remains to be seen if they play correctly. It's like I bought a bunch of used DVDs the way some of them look. The only people to blame are RHI/Vivendi.

This book style packaging is a complete nightmare (even worse than I feared). The discs are in there so tight that you can't get them out without touching the delicate playing surface, which is the last thing you should have to do. The best solution? Rip this useless, ill-conceived "book" apart, throw what remains of it in the trash where it belongs, and grab the discs out by the sides and hope they are in decent shape before putting them in plastic cases... where they should have been stored to begin with.

Sending a defective set back isn't much of an answer -- odds are the next one you get will be scratched or scuffed on different discs than the first. The same packaging will produce the same results in different spots. Some have even reported remnants of GLUE on their discs -- are you kidding me? A few will get lucky and receive pristine sets, but they will be the exception. Don't count on being one.

I regret buying this set (and I'm a big L&H fan). I certainly won't buy anything else with RHI or Vivendi attached to it. You shouldn't either. With packaging like this, they don't give a damn about their products, so why should we? Hope was expressed earlier in this thread that this set would be "done right."

It wasn't. The "book" packaging is already in the trash. The discs probably will soon follow.

Not cool.  Glue on discs?

How have everybody else's experiences with this set been?  I'm not too hard to please, as long as the films are complete and look good, I can find a safe place to store the discs, but I just want to see if anybody is receiving damaged product.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Star Wars Blu-Ray set has the "book" packaging, but Blu-Ray discs are much harder to scratch than DVDs for some reason.

The way I look at the L&H situation is this: You are getting a great deal of content for your money, perhaps they decided "we have to cheap out on the packaging to keep the price down. Glue on this discs is a big no-no, however. That's just inexcusable bullshit no matter how little or much you pay.

I just picked up the Citizen Kane Blu-Ray...I kinda wish they had an option to get just the movie. As it is right now I dropped a considerable amount for a "Special Collector's Edition" that includes a PBS doc, an HBO Films movie on the making of Kane, a special book, a souvenir program reproduction and little repros of posters and whatnot. It's actually a great set, but I would have been cool with spending less just for the movie itself. If it weren't the super excellent Citizen Kane I would have passed it up.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

The way I look at the L&H situation is this: You are getting a great deal of content for your money, perhaps they decided "we have to cheap out on the packaging to keep the price down. Glue on this discs is a big no-no, however. That's just inexcusable bullshit no matter how little or much you pay.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  It was the glue thing I found most alrarming, and while in a perfect world I would like pristine packaging, I've learned in this life you gotta pick your battles and sometimes just be thankful for what you can get.  If the vast majority of talking Laurel and Hardy will look good on DVD and all I have to do is buy a few plastic cases, I'll take the trade off.  I've been waiting years for these films.
- Doug Sarnecky