Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection

BeAStooge · 201 · 61141

Linked Events

• DVD Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection: October 25, 2011 - October 31, 2011

xraffle

I'm bumping up this thread because a few weeks ago, I bought "Deadwood- The Complete Series" on Blu-ray because it was on sale at Best Buy for $64.99. It's a 13 disc set and is packaged in the infamous cardboard packaging, just like this L&H set. Well, I didn't have any glue issues, but some discs did have some very faint/light scratches on them. Even though Blu-rays have a scratch-resistant coating, the packaging still managed to give some light scratches on some discs. I watched the whole set in two weeks and thankfully, I didn't encounter any playback issues. But I can see why people may be upset with the packaging of this L&H set.

Even though it's very hard to permanently damage a Blu-ray, I'm a very paranoid person and ended up transferring all 13 discs to jewel cases. But unfortunately, I'll probably have to keep buying more jewel cases soon because it looks like many studios are starting to adopt to this type of packaging. "Friends- The Complete Series" and "Alfred Hitchcock- The Masterpiece Collection" are both coming out soon on Blu-ray and they both will have that cardboard packaging. Same with the "Bond 50" set as well.  Not good!

Offline archiezappa

After I buy the Three Stooges "Rare Treasures" box, I'm thinking about buying this Laurel & Hardy box set.  For those of you who have bought it, how is it?  Is it good?  Do you like it?  What's the audio/video quality?  Is it worth putting my hard-earned cash in their pocket for this set?

ThumpTheShoes

A couple of the shorts have a weird, squashed picture kind of look, like the image was stretched horizontally a few pixels. The shorts have the usual minor image flaws like dust, dirt, splices and contrast issues. The splice jump (that is "The" splice jump with a capital "T") is still present in Way Out West. Audio quality varies, nothing too horrible.

This set is really about as good as I would expect right now, as far as source material is concerned, until the restored versions start getting released.

Some people hate the book packaging. I love it! I also have one of the European box sets (the 21 disc collection with the silents and colorized shorts) and I like this US release most since the sound shorts are in order. It's just more convenient to me.

Offline archiezappa

Thanks, Thump!  I guess this set is worth getting, then.  I heard about them restoring the old films, but I wonder how long it will take for those to come out.  So, basically, this is what they already have in the vault, just unrestored?

ThumpTheShoes

The way I understand it, what we have in the essential set represents most of the best elements that are available. Certainly, not all. The UCLA Film & Television Archive has already announced that it will take many years to complete their restorations of these films. I think one website mentioned something about 10 years for less than a fourth of the L&H canon. Still, after seeing the newly restored Way Out West on TCM it will be so worth it!

Offline archiezappa

Well, I'm not gonna wait that long.  I guess this is the set to get.  By then, we may be in a different format on everything.

Offline falsealarms

Last year, this information was released about the DVD transfers:

"yes, these are newly performed conversions of 35mm fine grains. We did not rework old tape masters. We went back to Kodak Fine Grain Film. F-I-L-M.  So we did not start with video; we started with film, the kind with sprockets. Plus, the new masters derived therefrom have indeed been digitally enhanced, so that these subjects can be presented in superb Hi-Def for the first time anywhere by anyone."

And, yes, these are separate from the ongoing work UCLA is doing. That work has a LONG ways to go. These films have been mishandled throughout the past several decades. They don't look as good as the Columbia Stooge shorts, but they look better than on any prior home video release. We're lucky to have some of these films at all, like in the case of the classic short COUNTY HOSPITAL. The original no longer exists, but luckily it was re-issued in 1937 and that still exists.

You can read about what UCLA is doing: http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/support/laurel-and-hardy

Here's a good review of this set: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51170/laurel-hardy-the-essential-collection/

The information contained in the packaging is nice (good notes on each film by L&H expert Richard Bann) but the storage method sucks. It uses cardboard sleeves, but more recent pressings seem to have paper sleeves within the cardboard sleeves. Either way, you'll want to get something like this: http://www.target.com/p/memorex-standard-clear-jewel-cases-10-pk/-/A-13740847

You can get an idea of the packaging here: http://www.therefinerycreative.com/#!/home-entertainment (scroll down)

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

I've had this box set for a long time, although I've only seen about 25 of the films on here. ( Don't mean to bump up a topic, anyways, either.) In fact, as I've heard, there's commentary on a few films, and Way out West is one of their best, so I'm going to watch Way Out West+commentary tonight, and since I'm feeling great, I'm going to watch a few Stooge films! Maybe, throw in a L&H documentary, too!
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Tony Bensley

Another bump up at this very late date.

For those within U.S. territories, there is the option of purchasing HD downloads of any or all of The Essential Collection titles, which were originally mastered at 1080p, or 2k.

While the 10 disc DVD collection remains a great option for viewing the bulk of Laurel and Hardy's Hal Roach sound era Film Library, there are a few anomalies of note:

SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) -
Simply put, the unacceptably muddy contrast issues severely mars the viewing of this all time iconic L&H classic feature.  It deserved far better, and ironically did get that in the previous Region 2 UK Universal DVD releases. By far, The Essential Collection's biggest disappointment, especially in terms of what should have been well within the capabilities given the state of the existing print, which was meticulously repaired and restored!

THE HOOSE-GOW (1929) and HOG WILD (1930) -
The transfers of these two L&H shorts from the 1929-30 cinematic season are definitely somewhat stretched in this set. Early in the sound era, the image was often projected at less than the 1.37:1 Academy Ratio standard in order to accommodate the then new sound on film technology. I've been told the latter short was originally screened at 1.19:1.  Setting the vlc player on my PC Laptop to 5:4 (Or 1.20:1) gets it pretty close to correct to my eyes.

ME AND MY PAL (1933) -
It's clear by the positioning of the opening titles that the image framing for this short is off center. The UK Universal set gets it right.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

For those within U.S. territories, there is the option of purchasing HD downloads of any or all of The Essential Collection titles, which were originally mastered at 1080p, or 2k.

While the 10 disc DVD collection remains a great option for viewing the bulk of Laurel and Hardy's Hal Roach sound era Film Library, there are a few anomalies of note:

Simply put, the unacceptably muddy contrast issues severely mars the viewing of this all time iconic L&H classic feature.  It deserved far better, and ironically did get that in the previous Region 2 UK Universal DVD releases. By far, The Essential Collection's biggest disappointment, especially in terms of what should have been well within the capabilities given the state of the existing print, which was meticulously repaired and restored!

The transfers of these two L&H shorts from the 1929-30 cinematic season are definitely somewhat stretched in this set. Early in the sound era, the image was often projected at less than the 1.37:1 Academy Ratio standard in order to accommodate the then new sound on film technology. I've been told the latter short was originally screened at 1.19:1.  Setting the vlc player on my PC Laptop to 5:4 (Or 1.20:1) gets it pretty close to correct to my eyes.

ME AND MY PAL (1933) -
It's clear by the positioning of the opening titles that the image framing for this short is off center. The UK Universal set gets it right.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Thanks for the info.  I go crazy enough just reviewing the these things and would be in the nut house if I worried about tech info with my personality - I'm not a tech guy at all.  That said, I know a lot of people appreciate this kind of stuff.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Thanks for the info.  I go crazy enough just reviewing the these things and would be in the nut house if I worried about tech info with my personality - I'm not a tech guy at all.  That said, I know a lot of people appreciate this kind of stuff.
The early sound on film (late 1920s to about 1931) vs sound on records technology really makes for image ratio headaches, what with some prints deriving from untouched 1.37:1 soundless film (with the audio added, obviously!), and others from film with imaging that was still partially covered with the sound strip.  I believe that the HOG WILD (1930) transfer on the UK Universal DVD release might be an example of the former, as I recall it had more imaging than on The Essential Collection version, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

As it happens, my list below only touches on the problems with the "Essential Collection" titles, although to be fair, most of the others weren't rectifiable prior to the outstanding restoration work at the UCLA Film & TV Archive, headed by Scott McQueen!:

ME AND MY PAL (1933) -

CHEERS!  [pie]
Posted below are some of the "Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection" DVD titles that now appear on the new "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" Blu-ray and DVD sets, along with their listed known previous issues that are known, or thought to have been rectified by the UCLA restoration project:

SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) - According to Randy Skretvedt, who has seen the restored version, EVERYTHING has been fixed.  Not only does SOTD now look and sound beautiful, but the niggling missing bits (Which have varied with different home video releases since the 1980s!) now present, and any extra Beau Hunks music is now gone.  In short, "Sons" now looks and sounds the way it was meant to be back in 1933!  My excited anticipation for viewing this restoration cannot possibly be overstated!!!!

BERTH MARKS (1929) - This is where some uncertainty sets in for me, as this early sound short was among the 1936/37 MGM reissued short subjects that were presented on the “Essential Collection” with the matching reissue credits.  Does the new set include the original and/or reissue credits, along with the original and reissue soundtracks?

BRATS (1930) - The same question as for the title above essentially applies (Except they were already fixed on the bonus disc included on the 2004 PAL Region 2 Laurel & Hardy UK Universal 21 DVD set!), although I seem to recall having read that the original credits (Along with the faithfully recreated two part opening gag line!) are being used on the new set.  If so, this may answer my question regarding the other shorts that were reissued by MGM during the 1936-37 cinematic season that also appear on the new set (IE. COUNTY HOSPITAL, although I believe at least one original 1932 credit remains missing!), or maybe not?

HOG WILD (1930) – One of my all time favorite Laurel & Hardy short subjects, the now restored full aperture presentation is among my more anticipated screenings from the new set!

ONE GOOD TURN (1931) – At least where the opening titles are concerned, the side by side comparison on YouTube displayed to me that the restoration team did a bit of a cheat in cropping out what I assume to be the rattier parts around the edges.  I take consolation in that I’ve never been fond of the rather garish looking pea puke pattern on this short’s opening titles!  “One Good Stomach Churn” is my pet name for them, as a matter of fact!

THE MUSIC BOX (1932) – The degraded quality of the 3rd reel is something that I couldn’t unnotice once I noticed it during a viewing some years ago, so it’ll be great to see Reel 3 looking better than it has since the original negative for it disappeared around 1983, which coincidentally was the year I graduated from High School!

THE CHIMP (1932) – While the restoration of the 16mm print of the original opening titles on the “Essential Collection” was a revelation back in 2011, the recent restoration of a superior 35mm print should be positively eye popping!

COUNTY HOSPITAL (1932) – On the 2016 Another Nice Mess: The Restored Laurel & Hardy Trailer (Available for viewing on YouTube!), it appears that the music added to the two scenes in the 1937 MGM reissue were not on the soundtrack.  That said, the “Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations” liner notes make no mention of alternate soundtracks for this short, so this might be a case of wait and hear, or don’t hear?

WAY OUT WEST (1937) – My all time favorite Laurel & Hardy film, viewing this in at least near pristine form is an experience that I’m really really looking forward to for a variety of reasons, including the fact that my most special shared Laurel & Hardy viewing experiences over more than four decades were of seeing, and enjoying this very feature!

A massive thank you to Scott McQueen of the UCLA Film & TV Archive, and everyone else involved in the ongoing restoration of the Laurel & Hardy Hal Roach Sound Library; and to Jeff Joseph of Sabucat and everyone involved in the discovery and restoration of the now near complete silent two reeler, THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927); and of course to everyone who made the release of this marvelous set possible, including Richard W Bann and Kit Parker Films! Huge thanks also to Randy Skretvedt for his many contributions that will surely serve to greatly enrich our viewing and listening experience of this set for many years to come!

CHEERS! [pie]

Offline Umbday

THE CHIMP (1932) – While the restoration of the 16mm print of the original opening titles on the “Essential Collection” was a revelation back in 2011, the recent restoration of a superior 35mm print should be positively eye popping!

The Chimp (along with Berth Marks, Brats, and Hog Wild) was one of the restored L&H prints that screened at Film Forum in NYC a couple of years ago. The Chimp looked extra sharp. Looking forward to this blu-ray release.

Offline falsealarms

Kit Parker confirms this release has been delayed to June 30. He says "replication was delayed due to coronavirus at the factory and Amazon’s 100+ fulfillment centers."

Offline Tony Bensley

Kit Parker confirms this release has been delayed to June 30. He says "replication was delayed due to coronavirus at the factory and Amazon’s 100+ fulfillment centers."
As far as what I've seen in the vendors listing, so far it's only the Blu-ray Edition that is affected by the delay, as Amazon and WOWHD still list June 16 as the release date for the DVD Edition.

It is disappointing that the Blu-rays won't be out on Stan Laurel's 130th birthday, though.  Still, the most important thing is that everyone tries to stay safe in these uncertain times!

CHEERS! :)

Offline falsealarms

At least we still have The Camerman from Criterion next week!

Offline Tony Bensley

At least we still have The Camerman from Criterion next week!
True. Unfortunately, funds are really tight in our household, and the Laurel & Hardy Blu-ray set was meant to be my first new home video set in quite some time, and now everything seems to be so up in the air with it because COVID, UGH!   :-[

Offline Tony Bensley

From a Facebook post:

"The Laurel And Hardy blu ray set has been delayed from what Sprocket Vault said. The reason for the delay that there is a problem at the replicator company and Amazon due to the pandemic. For now, June 30th is the new street date and that the company is staying on top of it."

In other words, the pushed back June 30 street date is a placeholder. At least, that's how it reads to me.

Damn this pandemic!

Offline Tony Bensley

The Chimp (along with Berth Marks, Brats, and Hog Wild) was one of the restored L&H prints that screened at Film Forum in NYC a couple of years ago. The Chimp looked extra sharp. Looking forward to this blu-ray release.
Do you recall whether the opening titles for "Berth Marks (1929)" and "Brats (1930)" had the original opening titles, or were they of the two derby hats hanging 1936-37 MGM reissues?

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Umbday

Do you recall whether the opening titles for "Berth Marks (1929)" and "Brats (1930)" had the original opening titles, or were they of the two derby hats hanging 1936-37 MGM reissues?

Hi Tony — Film Forum screened the recent UCLA restorations. While I don't personally recall the opening visuals, Berth Marks and Brats both used the original Vitaphone discs. I checked the sources used for the Brats restoration, and it seems that UCLA used a 1935 nitrate print,  a 1935 nitrate fine grain master, and an acetate dupe negative (year not stated). Reportedly, Brats does not survive in its original full aperture format. I hope to be able to check the BluRay discs in the coming weeks.

Offline Tony Bensley

Hi Tony — Film Forum screened the recent UCLA restorations. While I don't personally recall the opening visuals, Berth Marks and Brats both used the original Vitaphone discs. I checked the sources used for the Brats restoration, and it seems that UCLA used a 1935 nitrate print,  a 1935 nitrate fine grain master, and an acetate dupe negative (year not stated). Reportedly, Brats does not survive in its original full aperture format. I hope to be able to check the BluRay discs in the coming weeks.
So, possibly unless they're on the acetate dupe negative from an unknown year, the opening and closing titles for "Brats (1930)" should be from the original 1930 release, as the MGM reissue title cards weren't prepared until at least sometime in 1936 for the 1936-37 Theatrical season.

At this point, I'm hoping the Blu-ray order can be switched from wowhd.ca to Amazon Canada, as the latter now has the Blu-ray option and I can access the free 2 day delivery Prime option, but that remains up in the air, at present.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I received the "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" DVD set last week and it's a genuine treasure. However, I still noticed some contrast issues on "Sons of the Desert." I still prefer the Region 2 DVD from Universal.  Otherwise, no complaints.

Offline Tony Bensley

I received the "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" DVD set last week and it's a genuine treasure. However, I still noticed some contrast issues on "Sons of the Desert." I still prefer the Region 2 DVD from Universal.  Otherwise, no complaints.
I plan to do a screenshot comparison between the Blu-ray edition when I eventually get it, along with my Universal Region 2 DVD,  Essential Collection (Too dark) and Hallmark (Where do I even begin?) discs.  There was one posted screenshot of SOTD posted on HTF that I thought looked better than the Region 2 disc, although the latter still rated a fairly close second to my eyes.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Marshall

Sorry for the repeat post. I didn't see this topic until now. The other day my review/web article of the L & H: The Essential Restorations Blu-ray set was published online. I'm impressed by the set, and hopefully The Stooges will get a similar release in the near future. I had never seen The Battle of the Century before, and the pie fight scene is really something, even after viewing the Stooges pie fights in films. I'm not a technical expert on video regarding digital scrubbing, black levels, etc. But to me, the films look the best out of the L & H sets I own.

My review of Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Restorations is below.

Marshall

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Laurel-Hardy-The-Definite-Restorations-Blu-ray-Review

Offline metaldams

Sorry for the repeat post. I didn't see this topic until now. The other day my review/web article of the L & H: The Essential Restorations Blu-ray set was published online. I'm impressed by the set, and hopefully The Stooges will get a similar release in the near future. I had never seen The Battle of the Century before, and the pie fight scene is really something, even after viewing the Stooges pie fights in films. I'm not a technical expert on video regarding digital scrubbing, black levels, etc. But to me, the films look the best out of the L & H sets I own.

My review of Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Restorations is below.

Marshall

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Laurel-Hardy-The-Definite-Restorations-Blu-ray-Review

I’ve been holding off on this due to spending my money on other releases (cancelled my initial order because so many other things were coming out), but just ordered a copy.  I was going to do it eventually, but you convinced me to do it now.  Really nice review and I truly hope the other films, especially the silents, get similar treatment.
- Doug Sarnecky