The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

MAD WORLD on BluRay, 7/5

Linked Events

• MAD MAD WORLD on BluRay: July 05, 2011

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963) will be released on Blu-Ray on July 5. For now, it's a WalMart exclusive... available for a pre-order price of $10 on WalMart's webstore; will rollout to stores at $19.99 on July 5.

Solicitation information indicates no new bonus features, or restored footage. This is the 161-minute version, i.e., a digital format upgrade of the existing DVD.

Offline falsealarms

Front and back cover -

http://www.stayornay.com/media/mad-world-back-bluray.jpg

Extras include a featurette and extended scenes. One poster at blu-ray.com says extended scenes run for almost an hour. I haven't verified that personally but will hope to find a copy in store tonight or online.

Offline falsealarms

It seems like this Blu release is a port of the 2001 DVD release with the following extras (pulled from the 2001 review on dvdtalk.com). MAD WORLD was also released on DVD in 2006 with no extras at all. As for the movie, the Blu Ray does offer clear improvement as far as picture quality over the DVD. At least in my eyes.

EXTRAS::

Extended Scenes: It's during the main menu for this segment that we find out a little more about the history behind the versions of the picture. The material here is taken from a 70mm workprint. The condition of the material varies from scene-to-scene - although they never become unwatchable, there are some definite problems with color and wear during many of them. An additional problem is that, although one can skip to the next bit with the chapter advance button, I found it rather odd that these scenes (and there's quite a lot of them) are not indexed. The other problem, and this is just a personal opinion, is that I didn't find any of them that funny. Although I suppose I'm pleased that the studio took the steps to find them and include them here, I don't think many of them would work in the actual picture that well. I'm not entirely familiar with what version this material came from or if they are scenes completely deleted. It would have been nice if MGM built some sort of index that gave further details about the scene's history.

Something A Little Less Serious: Originally presented on the laserdisc edition of the picture, this nearly one hour documentary mainly revolves around the members of the cast remembering some of the more entertaining moments of production as well as what it was like to work with the other actors.

Also: Trailer & Re-Release Trailer.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The first time I saw Mad Mad World I loved it but subsequent viewings have not been kind. Over all I'd say this one is a bit overrated.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

The first time I saw Mad Mad World I loved it but subsequent viewings have not been kind. Over all I'd say this one is a bit overrated.

I don't know about "overrated," but I do agree that it doesn't lend itself all that well to multiple viewings. I liked it quite a bit when I bought the DVD, so upgrading to the Blu for $10 seemed like a no brainer, especially with a couple hours worth of extras. But trying to watch it again just hasn't produced the kind of interest and intrigue it did the first time around. This from someone who usually watches things multiple times over. It's definitely a good movie, something everyone should see once, but it might be just too long to watch multiple times.

If you've never seen the film before, track down the Blu at WalMart. The best this film will look. Just keep in mind there may not be a lot of replay value.

xraffle

I think it's because it's a very long movie. I thought the movie was hilarious from beginning to end, but have never watched it more than twice because I can't get myself to re-watch such a long movie.

Offline Larry Larry

For any fan of this movie who is still on the fence, I say pick it up. 

The film has never looked better.  In fact, it's one of the best Blus I have bought this year.  For $10, its a no-brainer.  There is a very good 1-hour doc included as well. 

Great movie and a great time revisiting it.  Enjoy.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead