Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who threw that pie??

Offline TXShemp

I have seen interviews with Moe where he says he stood along side the camera man and threw many of the pies, saving the studio money with is accuracy. And I have seen Ed Berns in interviews. He says a fellow name Ray Hunt threw most of the pies, he called him the "Demon Prop Man."
I have no reason not to believe Moe threw most of the pies. Maybe it depended on the director?
The early pie scenes are the best ones. Slippery Silks is classic. The display arm as a catapault  [pie]
Was that in the script or did they just take a simple prop and make it hilarious? [3stooges]

Offline Boid Brain

There's a technique to throwing pies and Moe knew it. You don't take it behind you ear like you are throwing a ball unless your target is only 3 feet away. The target will be hit but possibly with the edge of the pie.

Moe held it at his collarbone with the edge tilting forward. Then a lunging step with the left foot with a stiff-arm push of the pie with his right, imparting SPIN before the release. The spin guarantees that the pie will not tumble, the push was more accurate than a sling and Moe's strong arm could send a pie true for up to 10 feet.

Of course, it's reasonable that this other guy shared duties...after all, Moe was hit with his share of pies! [pie]

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Does anyone know what they used for the sound effect of pie hitting face?  [pie]

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

A wet towel thrown on a tile floor. ;)

"Hot towel!" (Oh, wait, this isn't the "name that line" thread. . . .)