Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

I want my MTV!

Offline Curly4444

What are some of your favorite videos of the past?  

I'll start heres pne of my favs:

[youtube=425,350]_EXxMlIExpo[/youtube]

Man, i had some fantasy's about that woman in that video.   >:D >:D >:D

Offline metaldams

There's only one genre I am a major fan of when it comes to MTV style videos, and that would be hair metal.  If there was ever a genre made for MTV, it's hair metal.  Grown men wearing pink spandex, scarves, make-up and what not playing a lighter style of metal (usually) and still managing to get the girl in the end makes great camp entertainment.  As a kid I took that stuff seriously, but today I realize on an intellectual level, just about any genre of rock is better, for pure stupid entertainment (and perhaps nostalgia), you can't beat hair metal.  I'll post some of the greatest hits later, though I have a feeling if you look at older posts I've made, I already posted some of my faves, so beware of repeats.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I realize on an intellectual level, just about any genre of rock is better, for pure stupid entertainment (and perhaps nostalgia), you can't beat hair metal.

True to a point, but there were some solid quality songs. Hair band produced some of the best ballads and few hard rockin stuff. Some of these still live today on top 40 radio stations. SO i dont think some of these survived on pure nostalgia alone.

[youtube=425,350]SRwrg0db_zY[/youtube]

Offline metaldams

True to a point, but there were some solid quality song. Hair band produced some of the best ballads and few hard rockin stuff. Some of these still live today on top 40 radio stations. SO i dont think some of these survived on pure nostalgia alone.

Yes, hair songs are fun, I love them and am not ashamed to admit it, but I also know I can name check great 70's rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath without offering a wink and a nudge.  Trust me, those guys had much deeper catalogs than any hair band.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

It depends on how deep you want to go. Yes other rock eras had more meaning in their songs, but hair bands were just as entertaining. Both make me feel equally as good. Don't need substance evertime to rock out.

[youtube=425,350]i28UEoLXVFQ[/youtube]

On the other hand this one has just as much substance as any genre.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hair metal was and still is awful.

[youtube=425,350]M9s1I1TZqJg[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Hair metal was and still is awful.

Each to their own, but i disagree. If you want awful look at todays shit or rap. Sorry, but I was an 80's kid, so hair bands are in my blood.

[youtube=425,350]nC9Vt1xQ5Kw[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]j9SgDoypXcI[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Today's shit is awful, but a bunch of dorks in nut hugger jeans and teased mullets is awful too. Hair Metal was all about having no substance whatsoever, a direct backlash to the rock of the late 60's/early 70's, which was heavy on substance, and the early stages of Hard Rock/Metal which these Hair Metal douchers thought was too morose. Of course Hair Metal led directly the Grunge in the 1990's (which was much better) where you had more substance and less flash.

Even though the 2000's and so far the 2010's were and are terrible let's not forget how rancid the music scene in the 1980's was.

PS: I'm 33 (you believe that Doug, after all these years on these websites?) and also a kid of the 80's and I HATED MTV and the music it played.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Today's shit is awful, but a bunch of dorks in nut hugger jeans and teased mullets is awful too. Hair Metal was all about having no substance whatsoever, a direct backlash to the rock of the late 60's/early 70's, which was heavy on substance, and the early stages of Hard Rock/Metal which these Hair Metal douchers thought was too morose. Of course Hair Metal led directly the Grunge in the 1990's (which was much better) where you had more substance and less flash.

Even though the 2000's and so far the 2010's were and are terrible let's not forget how rancid the music scene in the 1980's was.

Man we totally disagree, the 80's was very special to me. I thought everybody loved the 80's music. The hair metal didnt have as much substance, but it had some. Like i said before, i don't need substance everytime to enjoy a song. Grunge was better, that shit sucked. It was so fuckin depressing. Screw that Seattle crap. Fuck, rap was better than that crap.

What generation did you grow up in, Im curious? 60's or 70's?

Offline Curly4444

PS: I'm 33 (you believe that Doug, after all these years on these websites?) and also a kid of the 80's and I HATED MTV and the music it played.
Man, i bet you were popular at the school yard.  :D So you were like 3-13 years old in the 80's? Maybe you were too young for that to get into it?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:49:17 PM by shemps#1 »

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Of course Grunge was depressing, it was a direct backlash to these Hair Metal fucknuts! These douchebags running around smiling and putting up Devil Horns. That's how music has worked over the years, new genres come about from being sick and tired of the music that came before it. Since at least the 70's trends in popular music have been a big middle finger to the trend that came before and wore out its welcome.

Hair Metal is very much like today's rap. It's all about how much money I can waste and how much ass I can get. I can dig a good song that lacks substance, but not when that's all you got. Hair Metal was nothing but a bunch of one trick ponies.

Offline Curly4444

I guess we can agree to dis-agree.

Movin on, love this one:

[youtube=425,350]v5qa22D3Ij0[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Man, i bet you were popular at the school yard.  :D So you were like 3-13 years old in the 80's? Maybe you were too young for that to get into it?

Perhaps, but Doug is a couple of years younger than I am and he likes it. Hell, most of the music I like is before my time so I don't think that if I were born in 1972 instead of 1977 that I would dig shitty 80's Hair Metal. I had cousins, older and around my age who were into watching MTV, I just never dug it.

I did have a hand-me-down Quiet Riot concert shirt though, which led to my first musical purchase (Metal Health). I only bought it because I wanted to know who the fuck these guys were on my shirt. They were awful.

I accidentally hit the "modify" instead of "reply" on your post up there, that's why it says I edited it.

Offline Curly4444

I accidentally hit the "modify" instead of "reply" on your post up there, that's why it says I edited it

That's cool. I did that on another forum i had mod powers on.

I didn't like mental health that much, condition critical was way better.

Offline metaldams

I didn't like mental health that much, condition critical was way better.

Get the hell out of here!  METAL HEALTH is way better, actually the only Quiet Riot anybody needs, (you too Kane).

I'm glad you put up the I WANNA ROCK video, though, because that's one of the best videos of the era, and you saved me some work.  I don't care what taste in music you have, at least watch deep enough to get the "poor defenseless textbook" line from the guy in Animal House.

&feature=player_embedded

"Is This Love" - Whitesnake (Tawny Kitean, circa 1987, had the market on legs and ass; sorry ladies, gotta call it like it is) Gotta watch on youtube, so here's the link.

[youtube=425,350]UTcLPHUq-Vw[/youtube]

"Uh! All Night" - KISS; one of the most gloriously ludicrous songs and videos ever

[youtube=425,350]8fAi8Jc2hrw[/youtube]

"Girl School" - Britney Fox; Huge lead singer with a gruff voice like Brian Johnson of AC/DC, complimented perfectly by his epic hair style

This shit's glorious, and if any of you admit to watching all three in their entirety, you're automatically my best friend.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Get the hell out of here!  METAL HEALTH is way better, actually the only Quiet Riot anybody needs
Ah, but come on and feel the condition critical(noise). It had "Mama Weer All Crazee Now", Party All Night, and Winners Take All.

I'm glad you put up the I WANNA ROCK video, though, because that's one of the best videos of the era, and you saved me some work.  I don't care what taste in music you have, at least watch deep enough to get the "poor defenseless textbook" line from the guy in Animal House.

I love that guy, wasn't he the one in animal house?? I actually liked were not going to take it the best.

[youtube=425,350]WT1LXhgXPWs[/youtube]

All right mister, what do you think your doing? You call this a room, it's a pigsty. I want you to straiten up this area now. You are a disgusting slob. Stand up strait, tuck in that shirt, adjust that belt buckle, tie those shoes. Twisted Sister, what is that? Wipe that smirk off your face. DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!?? What is that a Twisted Sister pin on your uniform? What kind of a man are you? Your worthless & weak.You do nothing, you are nothing. You sit there all day & Play that sick & repulsive Electric Twangier. I carried an M-16 and you, you carry that that that, Guitar. Who are you, where do you come from? Are you listening to me? What do you want to do with you life?

I wanna rock!!!

Offline metaldams

Yes, that's Mark Metcalf, the guy in ANIMAL HOUSE.  He also later went on to play "The Maestro" in Seinfeld. 

Like I was saying, I don't care what your musical tastes are, if you like comedy, these Twisted Sister videos are worth it for Mark Metcalf's over the top performances.
- Doug Sarnecky