Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Interesting newspaper article - The Deseret News 3/18/47

Offline metaldams

Digging around for old newspaper articles, and I caught this one.  The first time I can remember reading anything from back in the day concerning why Shemp replaced Curly.  It turns out the public excuse is that "(Curly) fell down an elevator shaft during the filming of one of the shorts."  Perhaps they used the 3 DUMB CLUCKS accident as inspiration for an excuse 10 years later.  

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=8lUdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=V1gEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6959,2597797&dq=shemp+howard&hl=en
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That is interesting. Perhaps injury was more palatable than strokes. I loved looking at all those ads for movies that were in theaters at the time, and the bit about Carmen Miranda getting hitched.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

You'll have to give me a few days to find it (tomorrow I'm getting my wisdom teeth out and should be in pain meds and applesauce la-la land this weekend), but I was also checking out 1946 articles and most of them dealt with the divorce Curly was going through at the time.

One of the articles mentioned how Curly showed up to court in a wheelchair because Curly suffered a partial stroke, except the words "partial stroke" were in quotes, implying there was a sinister motive behind speaking of his true medical condition.

Quite sad.  The truth shows up in quotes yet total bullshit gets paraded as fact.  This is why I'm always very skeptical when approaching the media. 
- Doug Sarnecky