Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

TMD Season 2 Caucus

shemps#1 · 32 · 14215

Poll

Which Classic Comedy Team Should The Stooges Go Up Against In TMD Season 2?

The Marx Brothers
5 (35.7%)
Laurel and Hardy
7 (50%)
Abbott and Costello
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I tried having us focus and review one short a week a while back, but the exception of a few posters, the idea didn't generate much enthusiasm.  Neither did Shemp#1's Master debates idea, which only generated a few people participating.

But hey, if you want to try something more organized, go for it.  I think this board needs something now that the tourney is over and all the hype about DVD packaging has died down.  I'd more than welcome a little intelligent Stooge discussion.

I've been toying with the idea of doing another round of TMD, perhaps starting with a Marx Brothers vs Three Stooges showdown. I think though that in order for it to work two things have to happen. First is that the topics would have to venture out of the realm of Stoogedom otherwise we would run out of topics quickly. Secondly TMD would have to be in "seasons" like to tv show and not a continuous thing.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I've been toying with the idea of doing another round of TMD, perhaps starting with a Marx Brothers vs Three Stooges showdown. I think though that in order for it to work two things have to happen. First is that the topics would have to venture out of the realm of Stoogedom otherwise we would run out of topics quickly. Secondly TMD would have to be in "seasons" like to tv show and not a continuous thing.

I never understood why all the comparisons are The Three Stooges Vs. The Marx Brothers.  The Three Stooges Vs. Laurel and Hardy makes much more sense to me.  Even though there are definite differences, the comedy style of Three Stooges is much closer to Laurel and Hardy than the Marx Brothers. 

Just my quick two cents.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline afcomser

• Applehead
My Hope is that Three Stooges VS Any Comedy Team you can find parallels in alot of comedy teams. I find it interesting Metaldams you mention Laurel & Hardy, I've just been noticing how many of there shorts are the same, I was just watching one the other day that had almost the same premise as well as the same actors as the Laurel and Hardy Short. It's stuff like that I'd like to do. I'd even like to hear more discusion on more of the rare three Stooges Movies, Fugitive Lovers, Turn Back The Clock, Time Out for Rythem, beyond the columbia shorts. Look at even the Shemp Shorts. All kinds of things can sprout from there. Now more than ever before are we gaining access to the collected works of all the comedic actors of the golden age of film.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
My Hope is that Three Stooges VS Any Comedy Team you can find parallels in alot of comedy teams. I find it interesting Metaldams you mention Laurel & Hardy, I've just been noticing how many of there shorts are the same, I was just watching one the other day that had almost the same premise as well as the same actors as the Laurel and Hardy Short. It's stuff like that I'd like to do. I'd even like to hear more discusion on more of the rare three Stooges Movies, Fugitive Lovers, Turn Back The Clock, Time Out for Rythem, beyond the columbia shorts. Look at even the Shemp Shorts. All kinds of things can sprout from there. Now more than ever before are we gaining access to the collected works of all the comedic actors of the golden age of film.

Hey man, I agree with you 100%.  Years ago, conversations like that were a tad more common, but these days an 8 page thread consists of what color the new DVD will be.

But hey, if you have a good idea for a new thread, start it.  I'll participate if I have anything worthwhile to say.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well I was thinking the Marx Bros. because even though L&H are very popular their popularity level is not on the same level as the Stooges. The Marx Bros., on the other hand, are on the same level (and the case could be made that they are even more popular). However, if people would more interested in L&H vs Stooges I could be persuaded to go that way. The Public dictates the marketplace, so to speak.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Well I was thinking the Marx Bros. because even though L&H are very popular their popularity level is not on the same level as the Stooges. The Marx Bros., on the other hand, are on the same level (and the case could be made that they are even more popular). However, if people would more interested in L&H vs Stooges I could be persuaded to go that way. The Public dictates the marketplace, so to speak.

The Marx Brothers Vs. The Three Stooges is a case of apples and oranges to me.  Their style of humor is very different and the Marx Brothers also made features as oppsed to the Stooges, who just made shorts.

Laurel and Hardy Vs. The Three Stooges have more parallels because they both have a distinguished career in shorts and the style of their films is similar with one major difference - The Three Stooges are faster paced while Laurel and Hardy are slower paced, and that, to me anyway, is where the debate lies.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

The Marx Brothers vs. The Three Stooges sounds like a good idea. I was never much of a L&H fan. Only saw a couple of their movies. If anything, why not Abbott & Costello vs. The Three Stooges?

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
The Marx Brothers vs. The Three Stooges sounds like a good idea. I was never much of a L&H fan. Only saw a couple of their movies. If anything, why not Abbott & Costello vs. The Three Stooges?

Abbott and Costello are burlesque/vaudeville with a bit of physical humor thrown in.  The Three Stooges are physical humor with a bit of burlesque/vaudeville thrown in.

Hey, they'd all be good debates, I guess, but I think Laurel and Hardy make the most sense.  They do the same thing differently.  Perhaps we should have a preliminary master debate debating over what team to debate over.   Say that ten times fast.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

Again I would bring up the fact that A&C, like L&H are not as popular as the Marx Bros. or Stooges. Perhaps we should have a preliminary debate or caucus or something about which comedy team should go up against the Stooges in the next potential Master Debate. I would also like to put together a topic list for the next "season" if we are to go through with it. Fuck it: I should start a new thread.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ok, I split this off from the original topic and put up a poll. TMD Season 2 is not a given so participation in the poll could be the deciding factor on whether or not I go through with it. Any suggestions on other topics we can use? I think anything and everything should be up for debate, but top priority should be given to good Stooge related topics. Someone in another thread mentioned a possible Sick Curly vs Besser debate, and since Besser beat Derita in the first TMD that could be an interesting topic. I was also considering a TMD about "blue" comedy.

The only reason I am entertaining bringing this back is because I think it's a great idea and was saddened when it died the way it did. I think we have many people on this board who could easily put together good arguments.

On the other end of the spectrum Islipp continues to push for a debate against yours truly. He messages me through the Stoogeworld message board, which I hardly ever go to (his last message to me was in February and I just saw it earlier today). I replied saying that the only way it could possibly happen is if he were to send his posts to me and I put them up on his behalf as no one wants him back, but I can see the problem with that so if we were to go through with that perhaps he could send his posts to someone else. Either way I can give a shit less if I debate him or not, so I'll leave that up to the rest of the caucus.

BTW, anyone can feel free to jump in here with any ideas if you feel so inclined.

xraffle

Again I would bring up the fact that A&C, like L&H are not as popular as the Marx Bros. or Stooges. Perhaps we should have a preliminary debate or caucus or something about which comedy team should go up against the Stooges in the next potential Master Debate. I would also like to put together a topic list for the next "season" if we are to go through with it. Fuck it: I should start a new thread.

Agreed. That is why I originally liked the Marx Bros. vs. the Stooges idea. That's my preference. But Doug said that it's apples and oranges. But since I don't watch L&H, then L&H vs. the Stooges is not something I would go for. Therefore, I'd settle with A&C over L&H. But my first choice would be the Marx Bros.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hey:

This sounds like a great idea.  If you do not mind me putting in my 2 cents worth of information, the reason that Laurel and Hardy seems alot like the Stooges, is due to the fact they stole their stuff from them.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Awesome, we got some new blood in the caucus. Which one stole from the other? It's unclear from the wording of your post which team you are accusing of theft.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Hey:

This sounds like a great idea.  If you do not mind me putting in my 2 cents worth of information, the reason that Laurel and Hardy seems alot like the Stooges, is due to the fact they stole their stuff from them.

I'm assuming you mean Laurel and Hardy stole from The Three Stooges.  If I'm wrong, please tell me so.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, what did Laurel and Hardy steal from The Three Stooges?  I don't want to get too much into a debate before the debate begins, but Laurel and Hardy came first.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
On the other end of the spectrum Islipp continues to push for a debate against yours truly. He messages me through the Stoogeworld message board, which I hardly ever go to (his last message to me was in February and I just saw it earlier today). I replied saying that the only way it could possibly happen is if he were to send his posts to me and I put them up on his behalf as no one wants him back, but I can see the problem with that so if we were to go through with that perhaps he could send his posts to someone else. Either way I can give a shit less if I debate him or not, so I'll leave that up to the rest of the caucus.

I would not be surprised if he PM'd me too at some point, but the thing is I forgot my password and don't remember how to get into my old Stoogeworld account, so I have no way of looking.  Oh well, whatever.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

...but the thing is I forgot my password and don't remember how to get into my old Stoogeworld account...

I have the same problem. It's been so long since I logged into Stoogeworld that I completely forgot my password, which explains why I haven't been on that site in a long time. I would request a password reset, but I no longer use the Yahoo email account that I used to register at Stoogeworld. I had to deactivate it due to the enormous amount of spam I was getting.

If I ever decide to return to Stoogeworld, it will have to be under a new username.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
but I no longer use the Yahoo email account that I used to register at Stoogeworld. I had to deactivate it due to the enormous amount of spam I was getting.

I had to stop my yahoo account for the same reasons.  Sounds like we were getting the same emails.  [read]

No complaints about my gmail account, though.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Laurel & Hardy.  My favorite against my other favorite.

And don't bother about Stoogeworld.  It's dead.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hmm, 4 for Marx Bros, 3 for L&H and 1 for A&C so far. I have abstained from voting because I want to let everybody else make the pick. I would need to see probably a handful more votes cast before I decided to go with it.

Offline FineBari3

• Master Stooge
  • Knothead
Anybody else think of the Simpsons when they hear the word 'caucus'?

I tried to find a YouTube clip but could not. It is in the ep with the snowstorm and the kids get trapped in the school. The teachers held an emergency caucus, and then they cut to the teachers at a ski lodge, all dancing in a conga line, singing in a conga rhythm "Caucus, caucus, CAU-CUSS'.

....back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline stooge1029

• Bonehead
The Stooges actually stole a lot from Laurel and Hardy. An Ache in Every Stake is a lot like The Music Box. The whole premise of Booby Dupes is similar to Towed in a Hole. The tooth pulling scene from one of L&H's silent shorts Leave em Laughing was the same as in I Can Hardly Wait. Im sure theres others, but I love both teams. Never a big Marx Bros fan so I would love to see a Laurel and Hardy vs Three Stooges debate.

Let me just point out also for those of you who arent big L&H fans...watch the shorts not the films. Laurel and Hardy's career peaked in talking short films and the full length films are often dragged down by unfunny supporting players and drawn out musical numbers.

Recommended L&H shorts: Perfect Day, Them Thar Hills, They Go Boom, Tit for Tat

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
An Ache in Every Stake is a lot like The Music Box.

Some similarity. But the AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941) hillside stairs routine was actually a reworking of scenes from the Sennett/Keystone short ICE COLD COCOS (1926) starring Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde... and directed by Del Lord, ACHE's director.

THE MUSIC BOX (1932) reworked L&H's HATS OFF (1927), where the duo attempted to deliver a washing machine up the flight.

xraffle

The Stooges actually stole a lot from Laurel and Hardy. An Ache in Every Stake is a lot like The Music Box. The whole premise of Booby Dupes is similar to Towed in a Hole. The tooth pulling scene from one of L&H's silent shorts Leave em Laughing was the same as in I Can Hardly Wait. Im sure theres others, but I love both teams. Never a big Marx Bros fan so I would love to see a Laurel and Hardy vs Three Stooges debate.

Let me just point out also for those of you who arent big L&H fans...watch the shorts not the films. Laurel and Hardy's career peaked in talking short films and the full length films are often dragged down by unfunny supporting players and drawn out musical numbers.

Recommended L&H shorts: Perfect Day, Them Thar Hills, They Go Boom, Tit for Tat

The only L&H film I've seen is "Sons of the Desert" and I liked it a lot. I'll bet if I watched more of their films, I would become a big fan. Last year, my aunt and uncle gave me a DVD as a Christmas gift which contained some of L&H's public domain stuff. I never got around to watching it, but maybe I should start watching soon.

Offline afcomser

• Applehead
They couldn't have stolen from Laurel & hardy, because all of the Laurel & Hardy shorts and movies, that i find similarity are at least 5 to 7 years prior, more often its 15 to 20 years prior, which I though was cool that they could find all the same actors, and they looked pretty much the same. I've got about 50 tapes of L&H shorts and Movies I've recorded over the last 20 years.

Offline afcomser

• Applehead
I've only seen the Marx Brothers in Movies, you know A Day at the Races, A Night at the Opera, Animal Crackers. Did they do any shorts? I've got alot of Old Time Radio stuff with the Marx Brothers. Oh You Bet Your Life. Everything I've ever seen or heard hasn't paralled with the Stooges. I mean Groucho was great with word play. I mean Groucho's rendition of Some Enchanted Evening still leaves me in stiches.

" I met another strangler, I mean a stranger, it was her husband. He hit me so hard I would have fallen out a fifteen story window, if I hadn't grabbed a-hold of the straps of her strapless evening gown!"

"Once you have found her, Never Let Her Go, Once you have found her, Never Let her Goooooo!!"