Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any Johnny Cash fans here?

Offline metaldams

I'm not usually a country guy, but that said, I've been thinking about checking out some Johnny Cash these past few months and may pick up something by him somewhere down the line.  I do like the few clips I've seen on youtube. 

If there are any fans here, do you have any suggestions where to start?  The guy has a HUGE catalog.  I'm thinking either one of his prison albums, one of his Rick Rubin recordings, or more preferably, a definitive career defining package, but I can't decide.

What do you guys think?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I like some country, but not him. His melody's & harmony's are too simple.  He reminds me of 50's or 60's country male singers. He was a good song writer though.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Johnny Cash is far and away better than the shit that passes for country music nowadays. There are many many MANY greatest hits packages and you would be fine with any of the more recent ones (I'm not sure if there are any career retrospectives that include tracks from his American recordings, but I do believe there is a greatest hits of just the American recordings). I would highly suggest his San Quentin album: that was THE quintessential live prison album.

Also, if you like what you hear I would further suggest his "Outlaw brethren" Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings. I am most definitely not a country music fan but these guys transcend the genre, unlike the dick holes today like Toby Keith et. al.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Just a few tunes from Cash past that may help you in your foray ...

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Whenever I pick something up, I'll let you all know what it is and what I think. 

Wanna know what strange musical link made me want to look up Cash on youtube?  Glenn Danzig.  I found out he recently wrote a song for Cash called "Thirteen," and I checked it out and enjoyed it.  Ironically, I picked up a Roy Orbison "Essential" CD set a few months back, and Danzig wrote a song for him as well.  I picked up the Orbison set (which I really enjoy) for Orbison, having no idea Danzig wrote a song for him.  Needless to say, I was shocked reading the liner notes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Just a few tunes from Cash past that may help you in your foray ...

By the way, perhaps I'm technologically naive, but man, I was shocked when those tunes went straight into my itunes.  Thanks!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I love Johnny Cash, he's one of my favorites Metal. I became a fan a few years ago after I listened
to his Folsom Prison Concert. Then I saw the movie "Walk the Line" and that cemented my love of
the man.

The stuff Shemps and others have already suggested is the way to go. Hope you enjoy them.

I haven't listen to his music in awhile, I need to change that.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline JazzBill

I'm not usually a country guy, but that said, I've been thinking about checking out some Johnny Cash these past few months and may pick up something by him somewhere down the line.  I do like the few clips I've seen on youtube. 

If there are any fans here, do you have any suggestions where to start?  The guy has a HUGE catalog.  I'm thinking either one of his prison albums, one of his Rick Rubin recordings, or more preferably, a definitive career defining package, but I can't decide.

What do you guys think?

When his Folsom Prison album came out in 1968, that pretty much helped form my appreciation of country music. Up until then I didn't find much about it that I liked. I also learned that Willie and Waylon weren't too bad either. Like Shemps # 1, I think most of the country music coming out today is crap. I was lucky enough to see Cash in Branson Mo. about 15 years ago. He was getting pretty old but still put on good show. I'm glad I got to see him before he passed away.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
By the way, perhaps I'm technologically naive, but man, I was shocked when those tunes went straight into my itunes.  Thanks!

BTW ~ those tunes came from my Mother's 1960's album "Everybody Loves a Nut" ... and it loaded instantly to your Itunes because I recorded it myself and Itunes had no way to deny its entrance into its tiny hallowed halls.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

BTW ~ those tunes came from my Mother's 1960's album "Everybody Loves a Nut" ... and it loaded instantly to your Itunes because I recorded it myself and Itunes had no way to deny its entrance into its tiny hallowed halls.

Yes, "Everybody Loves A Nut" is exactly the album title it's filed under.
- Doug Sarnecky