Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

MODERN TIMES Criterion edition, Nov. 16

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Criterion plans on putting out some sort of definitive collection of his works at some point, apparently with theatrical re-releases in mind. Lord knows how long that will be...

Offering # 1 from Criterion, MODERN TIMES (1936), BD and DVD on November 16.

Offline metaldams

Oy!  Criterion is expensive, though usually well done.  I'll just stick with my Image release unless if this has some extras that are great beyond my imagination.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline QuinceHead

It's rather ironic that Criterion's first Chaplin release is his last one as the Little Tramp...  ::)

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Blystone

I guess it's the nature of these media corporations to try and sell the same material to the public over and over again, as many times as they can get away with it. I have the earlier WB-MK2 DVD of "Modern Times," and there's nothing wrong with it at all. Nothing! So why, in such a bad economy, is anyone expected to shell out more money for what might be, at best, small improvements to the film?

The same thing goes on with music. I just saw some online ads for "new" multi-CD packages of Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, and John Coltrane. The only problem with advertising this music as "new" is that it's all been issued before. I bought what was supposed to be the definitive Blue Note records CD collection of Monk... ten years ago!

And how many Beatles, Sinatra, Jackson, and Elvis packages have there been by now? God only knows (and maybe not even him).

[confused2]

Offline HELLOLARRY

I guess it's the nature of these media corporations to try and sell the same material to the public over and over again, as many times as they can get away with it. I have the earlier WB-MK2 DVD of "Modern Times," and there's nothing wrong with it at all. Nothing! So why, in such a bad economy, is anyone expected to shell out more money for what might be, at best, small improvements to the film?

Respectfully there were two things wrong with the Warner releases IMO.  First the transfers on all the films were done from PAL so the films are sped up somewhat and the images aren't as clear as they could be.  Second and specific to Modern Times, it is cut!  When Chaplin re-released this film, he cut the last verse out of the gibberish song.  If the conversion issue is corrected and the film isn't cut (or they provide both versions which the press release doesn't seem to indicate) then this would be a DVD to pick up.  Otherwise (to me at least) the definitive version of this film specifically is the Image release that came out some time ago. The documentaries on the Warner releases are weird.  I don't really much care what children in Zimbabwe think of Modern Times or any of Chaplin's other films.  :D

At least this version (and hopefully the others) has a commentary which it deserves.  However, I'll wait to see the initial reviews before making a purchasing decision.

Offline Single-O

The Chaplin's on Mk2 and Criterion will be/are the edited re-issue versions done by Chaplin.  His estate refuses to recognize any other versions than those.  If you have the Image DVD's, hold onto them as they are the unedited versions.

Offline metaldams

The Chaplin's on Mk2 and Criterion will be/are the edited re-issue versions done by Chaplin.  His estate refuses to recognize any other versions than those.  If you have the Image DVD's, hold onto them as they are the unedited versions.

For the sake of future buyers who buy these Criterion editions, I really hope they include the original 1925 silent GOLD RUSH as a "bonus" in addition to the narrated and highly edited 1942 version that's considered official.  They did this on the Warner's release.

Yes, I'm very thankful for owning the original Image releases.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HELLOLARRY

I have a feeling then that the 'commentaries' by David Robinson are going to be those same 5 minute little intros that were done for the Warner editions don't you think?  What a shame but yes, the Image versions are the definitive versions of the films for me as far as I'm concerned.  That edit in MT has always bothered me and for someone who was such a perfectionist in Chaplin, was quite clumsy IMO.  I always thought for years that it was because the film transitioned from sound back to silent speed and wasn't until I saw the Image version that I noticed there was an extra verse and the end of the scene flows better. 

For the early silent films as well, the Image releases have the correct projection speed.

I've never read anywhere why he chose to edit that last bit out.  Couldn't be that it didn't make any sense in comparison with the rest of the song. :) 

Not sure why they wouldn't just offer both, after all they gave those prints to CBS/FOX / Image to release.  Unless more information comes out to the contrary, this really isn't as big of news as I hoped it would be for those of us who already have the Image sets. Does anyone know why the estate refuses to acknowledge those original cuts?

If I'm not mistaken, I think The Kid and a King in New York are also different cuts.  On the latter, he should have cut everything after the opening credits.  BTW has it been noted anywhere that in the scenes of New York city nightlife in the film A King in New York, you can see the Three Stooges name on one of the marquees?  I'm assuming these were stock shots but it is interesting to say that the Stooges and Chaplin were in a film together.  Well, sorta kinda. :)

Offline metaldams

I've never read anywhere why he chose to edit that last bit out.  Couldn't be that it didn't make any sense in comparison with the rest of the song. :) 

This is just a theory on my part based on gut feeling and not researched fact, but I think the reason Chaplin edited his silent films so much for re-release is because the talkies have come in and out of fear of being an outdated relic, he second guessed himself and made some changes.  I can think of no other reason for the drastic changes in the 1942 version of THE GOLD RUSH, as well as more changes in projection speeds and parts being edited in other films.  The fact he lived until 1977 also means he saw several cultural changes from the time of his initial popularity as well.

I'm sure Harold Lloyd went through similar apprehensions as well, but at least he chose to release compilations films to the public and keep his original films in tact.

Of course, both were great artists.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Best bet is probably to get this at bn.com, which is running a 50% off Criterion sale.... the DVD of this is currently 14.99, the Blu Ray 19.99.