Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Looney Tunes(was: The Three Stooges on DVD Volumes 1 to 8)

Stooges#1 · 46 · 12147

Offline Stooges#1

I'm happy to hear that, Peter.  [cool]

Multi-Region players are fantastic for these sorts of things as I live in Australia and these will never get released here.

I'm a big looney tunes fan, and wish they would release them all in order. Or at least have character sets with all their episodes. All they have now is these random episodes sets like the stooges use to.

With over 1000 Looney Tunes shorts chronological order would be so difficult to do, unlike the 190 Three Stooges shorts. I am not sure if you're aware of these collection(s), but you might consider the Golden Collections? They made 6 in total, all the shorts were restored and they're all unique so they haven't double dipped at all. There are 356 restored shorts in the main batch. I say main batch because there are also some shorts (probably over 20-30) that are a part of the bonus features that aren't restored.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=looney+tunes+golden+collection&x=0&y=0&ih=8_8_9_3_1_0_1_0_0_1.52_83&fsc=15

Warner Brothers have started a new Looney Tunes line called Super Stars, instead of 4 disc sets, like the Golden Collections, these will be 1 disc sets containing 15 shorts, I think they decided to cut back on the number of discs because of the economy. The first two (Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck) are due for release on August 10th. Apparently there'll be another two such sets (with different characters) out by the end of the year and four discs each year which is what the Golden Collections had and it averaged 60 shorts so we wont be losing anything. The best part is the Super Stars line will NOT be double dipping from the Golden Collections according to a lot of interviews (from Jerry Beck amongst others) about them.

http://www.amazon.com/Bugs-Bunny-Extraordinaire-Looney-Tunes/dp/B0033XKVEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279961559&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Daffy-Duck-Frustrated-Looney-Tunes/dp/B0033XKV96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279961559&sr=8-2

I highly recommend these if you don't already own them. You shouldn't wait for chronological sets as they're impractical to make for WB's.

Besides the Stooges hit their stride almost from the second short and the Looney Tunes didn't really start getting funny until the late 30s. Imagine having to wait over 300 shorts by the time the really good stuff started getting sold?  ;)

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, the golden collection looks real nice, too bad they stopped doing those sets. The individual sets look pretty good to.

I know all the looney tunes shorts chronologically wouldn't be possible, but  chronologically individual sets would be possible. Like all the bugs shorts or all the daffy shorts in order. I know bugs has like 130 shorts, and they could easily be done in like 3 sets.

Ill probably go with the golden sets + those new indv. sets.

Offline Stooges#1

I know all the looney tunes shorts chronologically wouldn't be possible, but  chronologically individual sets would be possible. Like all the bugs shorts or all the daffy shorts in order. I know bugs has like 130 shorts, and they could easily be done in like 3 sets.

I didn't even think of that when making my post.  :-[

These new Super Stars sets are going to be individual sets, but most characters have got a lot of their shorts out on the GC's already so they can't be done chronologically. Foghorn only has about 3 shorts on the Golden Collections (some characters have none) so WB's can release those ones chronologically if they go down that route, except the shorts already released on the GC's of course. But I'm guessing not all of these new sets will be character based because some obscure characters have 2-3 shorts, maybe a Bugs Bunny and friends disc etc.

I'm almost as passionate about owning all 1000+ Looney Tunes shorts as I was owning all 190 Three Stooges shorts. So lets hope we're sitting here 5 years down the track saying we can them all.  [cool]

I feel as though I am taking over the topic, so a big sorry to Peter.

Offline Curly4444

I'm almost as passionate about owning all 1000+ Looney Tunes shorts as I was owning all 190 Three Stooges shorts. So lets hope we're sitting here 5 years down the track saying we can them all. 

I don't think anyone will ever own all 1000+. When i was taping them, i only got like 600-700 of them. I don't even know if some of the real old ones are even available? Plus some of them are considered not politically correct, and they may not put them on DVD. Like Tom Tom cat. I was never able to record that, never even saw it until recently when it showed up on youtube.

PS: Just because alot of the episodes are on the golden collection, doesn't mean they couldn't start over. And put all the characters episodes chronologically on sets. The guys with a few episodes could be put with other characters with few episodes.  If they were done right, i think people would forgive the double dipping.

ThumpTheShoes

I don't think anyone will ever own all 1000+.

[Raises hand] I do. Not all are from official releases, though.

Offline Curly4444

[Raises hand] I do. Not all are from official releases, though.

Wow thats something.  :o Are they all on VHS or some other old format? I didn't think they aired all those episodes? I got all mine from Cartoon network and Boomerang.

Offline stooge1029

Even if you taped all the looney tunes directly off TV you wouldnt have them all. There are some cartoons that have been banned from TV since before I was born (in 84) like Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs or Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips or the early Bugs where hes being hunted by the black stereotype. You can find most of those on youtube but because of all the racial insensitivity in early WB cartoons I dont think its a possibility to own all of the 1000+ on vhs or dvd.

Offline Curly4444

Actually i was able to get all the bugs bunny's including those you mentioned. I think i got them on the Bob Clampet(SP?) show and a bugs bunny marathon.

Update:

Nope you were right, i couldnt get those. Im missing All this and Rabbit Stew, Bugs bunny nips the Nips, Which is witch, and Mississippi hare.
  Oh, and i checked my looney tune count. I have 832 out of about a 1000, only need 168.

http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/WBchecklist.html

ThumpTheShoes

Wow thats something.  :o Are they all on VHS or some other old format? I didn't think they aired all those episodes? I got all mine from Cartoon network and Boomerang.

It's a set of dvd-r's, something like 60-70 discs. It includes transfers from vhs, public domain dvd's, laserdiscs, stuff taped off tv and the like. There's no Youtube video conversions on it, thankfully! The set contains the WB's theatrical shorts in chronological order from the early Bosko era, up to the end of their run in the 60's. Then there's a few of the newer shorts which come from various sources.

It's neat to see some of those cartoons, like the later Coyote shorts which were all over the Sat-Am Bugs Bunny show. But really, I'm more proud of my complete Stooges Cartoon collection, believe it or not!  :laugh: I had to buy a 16mm print of Super Everybody to complete that, and I've even been collecting the cels from the Cambria cartoons.

Everybody's different, I know!  [pie]

Offline Curly4444

Man, thats a neat collection there. And i thought it was something to have 832 shorts. If i transferred all mine to dvd, id be dead b4 i completed the process.  :D ;D Do you have any of the MGM shorts. I got a ton of those also. I'm Glad i taped those, because i bet they'll never air those again or sell em.

Offline Curly4444

I feel as though I am taking over the topic, so a big sorry to Peter.

I dont think hes coming back??

Maybe we should change the title of this topic or movie the looney tunes talk to a new thread?

Man i never realized there we as many looney tunes fanatics as me.  [rockon]

ThumpTheShoes

Man, thats a neat collection their. And i thought it was something to have 832 shorts. If i transferred all mine to dvd, id be dead b4 i completed the process.  :D ;D Do you have any of the MGM shorts. I got a ton of those also. I'm Glad i taped those, because i bet they'll never air those again or sell em.

There are fan sets of the MGM cartoons out there, I just haven't made it past the Tom and Jerrys at this point. I know there's the Region 2, complete Tom and Jerry that, despite some QC issues, is quite complete with even the Gene Deitch cartoons (which certainly won't get a decent release here!). And I've heard rumblings that there may be a really good Harman-Ising fan set in the works. I'd hope it includes the lavish musical cartoons as well as the stuff like Barney Bear. "Bottles" is a very favourite of mine from the Happy Harmonies series.

Mostly, recently, it's just been Stooges for me.

Something I would also love to see is/are complete episodes of the Bugs Bunny/Road runner show as seen on CBS in the 70's. I know they're out there...

Offline Curly4444

There are fan sets of the MGM cartoons out there, I just haven't made it past the Tom and Jerrys at this point. I know there's the Region 2, complete Tom and Jerry that, despite some QC issues, is quite complete with even the Gene Deitch cartoons (which certainly won't get a decent release here!). And I've heard rumblings that there may be a really good Harman-Ising fan set in the works. I'd hope it includes the lavish musical cartoons as well as the stuff like Barney Bear. "Bottles" is a very favourite of mine from the Happy Harmonies series.

Something I would also love to see is/are complete episodes of the Bugs Bunny/Road runner show as seen on CBS in the 70's. I know they're out there...

I never really got past tom & jerry also. I just watched and taped them because they were there. They werent near as funny as WB cartoons.

I'm a big Tom & Jerry fan also. I have all the episodes on VHS, plus some rare purchased VHS's(The cartoon moviestar ones that are uncut(mammie two shoes, blackface, etc..)).  I really like to get some on dvd, but the sets out now suck. I want them all in order chronologically, uncut would be nice too, but i know that will never happen. The sets out now remind me of the stooges set b4 sony blessed us. I heard awhile back there was a good set out in Japan. Should have gotten that, don't know how i would have played it though. Or was that on VHS??

Wow, someone actually liked them? The artwork and skits weren't even in the earlier stuffs league. Well i guess there better than the PC shit thats out there now.

Some Tex Avery sets would be nice also. Those cartoons were even funnier than Looney Tunes.

Offline Blystone

Wishful thinking, for the most part. Some of these cartoons will never see the light of day on DVD's because they just aren't very good; the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerrys are a perfect example. This wasn't Deitch's fault, as he was given the skimpiest budget imaginable and the animation was farmed out to a Czech studio that had no idea of what the characters were about, or even how to draw them correctly. I can't see that there would be much demand for low-rent cartoons like this, if any... when I was a kid watching cartoons on TV and one of these came on, I'd cringe and change the channel.

Hugh Harman-Rudolf Ising cartoons look good thanks to MGM's money, but most of them are pure kiddie fare that wouldn't entertain anyone over the age of six. They were trying to compete with Walt Disney for the juvenile audience, and in fact were ex-Disney men who quit and went off on their own, so it's no surprise that their product comes off as second-rate Disney. Again, who would want these? Probably only the "completist" type of collector who wants to own every Hollywood cartoon ever made, and that's not a very big market. Personally, I'm not into buying anything just for the sake of owning it— above all, I want to be entertained, so I'll never buy a film or a music album or a book that I know won't entertain me and will only take up space on my shelves.

For Avery fans (now we're talking), right now there's a Droopy DVD available, with all 24 cartoons beautifully restored. I think that's all, but I haven't checked lately for new releases.

Looking at the big picture, in this economy a lot of marginal, special-interest DVD's that might have otherwise come out by now have been shelved by the manufacturers because there's a lot less disposable income around. That's the grim reality of the situation.

Offline Curly4444

Wishful thinking, for the most part. Some of these cartoons will never see the light of day on DVD's because they just aren't very good; the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerrys are a perfect example. This wasn't Deitch's fault, as he was given the skimpiest budget imaginable and the animation was farmed out to a Czech studio that had no idea of what the characters were about, or even how to draw them correctly. I can't see that there would be much demand for low-rent cartoons like this, if any... when I was a kid watching cartoons on TV and one of these came on, I'd cringe and change the channel.

I'll admit the animation in the Gene Deitch Tom And Jerry's cartoons weren't as good, but the storys were decent. It was still Tom and Jerry, just different. And after awhile you got use to that animation style. Its still better than any of that crappy current tom & Jerry.  That shit is so PC it makes you puke.  [yuck] No matter how much i drink i could never get use to that new crap.

xraffle

It's too bad that WB doesn't release a set of just the Bugs Bunny cartoons. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. But there's a reason they don't do that. They want to mix in the crappy cartoons as well. I don't mind them mixing cartoons, but why not just mix in Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, and Porky Pig and leave all those other cartoons in a separate set? I'll tell you why- because no one will buy that separate set. ;)

Offline Blystone

It's too bad that WB doesn't release a set of just the Bugs Bunny cartoons. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. But there's a reason they don't do that. They want to mix in the crappy cartoons as well. I don't mind them mixing cartoons, but why not just mix in Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, and Porky Pig and leave all those other cartoons in a separate set? I'll tell you why- because no one will buy that separate set. ;)

I hear that! I bought the first three volumes of the Looney Toons Golden Collection, but passed on number four when I found out that it contains a full disc of Speedy Gonzalez cartoons. There are two WB characters that I never could warm up to, Speedy and Pepe La Pew, both of whom I find about as funny as a root canal. So the single-character single discs are probably a good idea, and are more affordable, too.

Also, starting with Volume 3, you get that incredibly annoying "political correctness" spiel from Whoopie Goldberg, and you can't skip past it! At least you can mute the sound, but I would have preferred a button that lets you drop a boulder on her like Wile E. Coyote and then go right to the cartoons.

[bricks]

Offline Blystone

I'll admit the animation in the Gene Deitch Tom And Jerry's cartoons weren't as good, but the storys were decent. It was still Tom and Jerry, just different. And after awhile you got use to that animation style. Its still better than any of that crappy current tom & Jerry.  That shit is so PC it makes you puke.  [yuck] No matter how much i drink i could never get use to that new crap.

I'm an animation snob and I always have been, so if you're not one, you should probably ignore me. I can't get used to bad drawing... not even my own!

Offline Curly4444

I hear that! I bought the first three volumes of the Looney Toons Golden Collection, but passed on number four when I found out that it contains a full disc of Speedy Gonzalez cartoons. There are two WB characters that I never could warm up to, Speedy and Pepe La Pew, both of whom I find about as funny as a root canal. So the single-character single discs are probably a good idea, and are more affordable, too.

Also, starting with Volume 3, you get that incredibly annoying "political correctness" spiel from Whoopie Goldberg, and you can't skip past it! At least you can mute the sound, but I would have preferred a button that lets you drop a boulder on her like Wile E. Coyote and then go right to the cartoons.

[bricks]

So Whoopie Goldberg gives some a warning/explanation before an episode with a racial stereotypes?

What you no like Speedy and Pepe La Pew senior? Yeah he wasn't that funny, but the characters that were in it with him made it funny. Like when Sylvester was in it with him. Speedy was the strait man.

Offline Curly4444

I would have preferred a button that lets you drop a boulder on her like Wile E. Coyote and then go right to the cartoons.

I hit the button for you!! Not a boulder, but a nice steel ball, Yikes indeed!! :D ;D

Offline Blystone

So Whoopie Goldberg gives some a warning/explanation before an episode with a racial stereotypes?

Oh, yeah: "These cartoons were products of their times, and what is wrong now was wrong then..." blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc. All I can say is that I grew up watching them without any such long-winded warnings, and I didn't turn out to be any kind of a racist. I think that just might be true of several million other kids who were introduced to them in the same way.

As for Speedy, one or two cartoons with him are funny, but a whole disc!? That's overkill, and they can get pretty monotonous. And as much as I respect Chuck Jones (one of the greatest animation directors of them all), Pepe does nothing for me. Even if you know the Charles Boyer character ("Pepe Le Moko") that he was a takeoff on, he's still a really unlikable character. Monumental egotism isn't a very endearing trait.

Except in me, of course.

[duck]

Offline Curly4444

Ha ha haahhhh!!! Good one!

[clap]

You can tell i'm bored tonight. If i found a bigger shot of the canyon i would have put wile e coyote in there.  >:D

Offline Stooges#1

I've really enjoyed reading all these posts.  [cool]

I agree that having an entire disc devoted to Speedy Gonzalez was just downright annoying. One of the best characters, Foghorn Leghorn, has hardly been represented which is a travesty. Foghorn only had 28 shorts and I believe they should've already been released on the GC's.

xraffle

Volume 3 is the only Golden collection I bought. It’s been a while since I watched it, but I don’t recall not being able to skip the Whoopi Goldberg thing. I’ll check that out tonight when I get home. But I’m quite certain that it’s skippable.