Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Question about Shemp

Offline knucklehead2005

Hello,
I remember watching the 2000 made for TV movie about the Three Stooges, and I remeber that Shemp was in the Three Stooges act before Curly. But I can't remeber why he was left out of the trio when the Three Stooges made it big. Did he have a mental disorder or something? Can someone please tell me the answer?

Thanks

Offline Baggie

Ahem, I don't believe Shemp had a mental disorder at all. Shemp left the Stooges in 1932, because he didn't want to go back with Ted Healy, and Larry and Moe did. (That's when they brought Curly in). Apparantly Shemp had been offered other film parts in things such as the 'Joe Palooka' series....but I'm quite sure he wasn't mental - where you got that idea from I don't know.
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
He probably got that idea from watching the made-for-tv movie, which paints Shemp in a horrible light. If you haven't seen it yet Baggie, don't.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 08:49:32 PM by shemps#1 »
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline knucklehead2005

I actually did get that "mental disorder" idea from the made-for-tv movie.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Don't believe everything you see on tv. He had his phobias, but other than that Shemp was mentally stable.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Pilsner Panther

Don't believe everything you see on tv. He had his phobias, but other than that Shemp was mentally stable.

But Shemp was born to play a maniac... if you don't believe me, watch "Scrambled Brains!"

[nuts]

Offline Shemp

Is there any other information about Shemp's stroke in 1952?  I ran into this information for the first time recently, both in Wikipedia and in another source.  I don't know how I missed it before.