Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

DeRita-era DVD Concerns: Need Help

Offline Hammond Eggar

As of right now, the only Columbia DeRita Stooges film I own on DVD is Around the World in a Daze, which I purchased shortly after its original release.  I would love to own the other four, but do have some concerns.  First, I am aware that Have Rocket, Will Travel still hasn't been issued in the DVD format.  That said, my main concerns have to do with the widescreen format, and the future of Sony's Stooges DVD campaign.  I was visiting a local used book/CD/DVD store here in San Antonio today, and found several copies of In Orbit for $5.98, which is what inspired this topic/thread.

I am not a widescreen expert.  I seem to recall reading that, at least with some titles, the widescreen was not correct.  Can anyone clarify this for me, and also confirm if the widescreen on the In Orbit DVD is correct?  Plus, is it a waste of money to purchase the DeRita features now, with the possibility of a box or reissues coming at some point down the line? If the widescreen is off in some cases, is it worth it to buy these DVDs before Sony corrects them?  What are your thoughts on buying the DeRita features, as they appear now on DVD, at this point in time?  So many of you seem quite educated on the Stooges, and film in general, that I value your opinions and input.  Thank you so much for your help.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline pipboytaylor

I know someone in this forum will have better insight on the facts but from what I see the DVD's aspect ratio is the same as it was filmed. 1:85. Also, I haven't seen anything close that there will be any such release of a DeRita film set. Does Sony even have the rights to all 6? Anyone? I already own the other 5. They are rarely watched but I'm glad to have them. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd go ahead and pick them up. They are pretty cheap for you to get the other four, so its not like you'll be out a lot of money. You could wait up to a year or indefinitely before any word is spoken about another release. I guess it depends on how eager you are to see them. BTW, if they never are re-released, then eventually they will become Out Of Print and they will get pricey...FAST.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Columbia features were filmed the same as the post-1953 shorts...

Open-matte 1.37:1, visually composed for 1.85:1, released to theatres for 1.85:1 projection.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks for the help guys.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)