Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sony DVD Releases Beyond the 190 Shorts???

Offline Hammond Eggar

I've been away for awhile, so perhaps I am resurrecting a topic which has already been discussed.  Please pardon me if I am, but I am curious about future Sony DVD releases beyond the 190 shorts.  The company has done such a wonderful job with those releases.  That said, I'd like to know what their plans are for the DeRita-era films.  Have Rocket, Will Travel is still unavailable on DVD.  Does anyone know if Sony is planning a box set of the DeRita films?  I'd love to see all the DeRita Stooges films receive the proper DVD treatment, with appropriate widescreen.  Plus,what about the Curly-era features such as Start Cheering and Rockin' in the Rockies?  Does Sony have any plans to release DVDs of these films, either individually or grouped in a box?  I'd love to see them all make the leap to DVD.  Some of these films, such as My Sister Eileen, deserve to be released for reasons beyond the Stooges appearances.  So, tell me what you know.  Thanks.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline falsealarms

It's all just rumors now. Nothing concrete. Maybe they release the movies/solos, maybe they won't. I wish I knew.

Offline Paul Allen

Hammond, very good question and I'm sure it's what most of us Stooge fans are wondering.

SONY would be very wise to have some "new" Stooges DVD releases planned around the time the Three Stooges Movie (with Jim Carrey) is released to theaters (2010?... 2011?... 2012?)

As you mentioned, Hammond,
1. The release of the Curly-era full-length movies would be welcomed by most fans and casual buyers. An affordable box set would be the best way to go, in my opinion.

2. The Columbia shorts (solo appearances) of Shemp, Joe DeRita, and Joe Besser. Again, a box set would be great!

3. Have Rocket, Will Travel.

I think most Stooge fans would be more than satisfied if this is what SONY chose to do in the future. Letters to SONY wouldn't hurt! [3stooges]

Paul Allen

Offline JekyllHyde

SONY would be very wise to have some "new" Stooges DVD releases planned around the time the Three Stooges Movie (with Jim Carrey) is released to theaters (2010?... 2011?... 2012?)

All MGM film projects are dead in the water. Looks like the Stooge film won`t get made any time soon.

Offline Hammond Eggar

All MGM film projects are dead in the water. Looks like the Stooge film won`t get made any time soon.

That's just as well.  I wasn't really that excited to see that trainwreck hit the big-screen anyway.  At-any-rate, I echo Paul Allen's JekyllHyde's sentiment about future Sony DVD releases.  Any Stooge-related solo shorts it wants to release is fine with me.  I say, "Bring them on."
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Killer Killduff

Wasn't there someone on the message boards some time ago that was in contact with someone at Sony that had mentioned that they had planned to release all of the Stooge films in the Columbia vaults eventually.  Even if the guest appearances with Curly (i.e. Time Out For Rhythm, Rockin' in the Rockies, etc.) don't come that soon, a Curly Joe volume with the features would be a great addendum to Vols. 1-8. Is there anyway we can contact them??

Offline afcomser

My Sister Eileen has already been realeased to DVD
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline JekyllHyde

Wasn't there someone on the message boards some time ago that was in contact with someone at Sony that had mentioned that they had planned to release all of the Stooge films in the Columbia vaults eventually.  Even if the guest appearances with Curly (i.e. Time Out For Rhythm, Rockin' in the Rockies, etc.) don't come that soon, a Curly Joe volume with the features would be a great addendum to Vols. 1-8. Is there anyway we can contact them??

Now that Sony has joined the Burn on Demand bandwagon, I doubt we will see any further commercial DVDs of never before released Stooge material. But I bet Sony will put out DVDrs.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I know Have Rocket - Will Travel is the only Curly-Joe feature film that hasn't had a DVD release. Would Sony more than likely release it as part of a boxed set or as a standalone DVD?

Offline JekyllHyde

Offline archiezappa

Just a few more things that Sony could do for us:

1.  A box set of Curly features:  "The Captain Hates The Sea," "Start Cheering," "Time Out For Rhythm," "Rockin' In The Rockies" and "Stop! Look! And Laugh!"

2.  A box set of Curly-Joe features:  "Have Rocket Will Travel," "Three Stooges Meet Hercules," "Three Stooges In Orbit," "Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze" and "The Outlaws Is Coming!"

3.  A box set of Columbia shorts starring (individually): Shemp Howard, Joe Besser & Joe DeRita.

4.  Anything else we can think of?

Offline JekyllHyde

Offline archiezappa

Yes!  I knew I forgot something!

Moe:  We had to forget something or we wouldn't be plumbers.

Offline Larry Larry

Several months now since the last official announcement about Volume 8.

Has Sony issued any other comments about the Curly Joe features?  I guess the silence on this question means the series is completed? 

I still hold out hope for at least a Volume 9 of all the features. 
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Paul Allen

Larry Larry, Larry Larry, Larry Larry!

Even if the features are remastered and re-released on DVD, they're not going to be labeled or considered a continuation of the shorts as a Volume 9. They'll be a separate project.

"The Three Stooges Collection" focused on the shorts only and Volume 8 completed that project by SONY.

Offline Larry Larry

Larry Larry, Larry Larry, Larry Larry!

Even if the features are remastered and re-released on DVD, they're not going to be labeled or considered a continuation of the shorts as a Volume 9. They'll be a separate project.

"The Three Stooges Collection" focused on the shorts only and Volume 8 completed that project by SONY.

The thread here is about Sony's DVD releases beyond the 190 shorts.  Rumors & hearsay floated around that the series might continue with the features and or solo shorts. 

I don't believe there was ever a Sony announcement that the collection was exclusively for the shorts and would end there. 

That may very well be the case, but please point us to their press release saying the collection is only for the shorts.  I'd like to read that.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Paul Allen

No, SONY never made an official announcement, but some things are fairly obvious.

Look at it this way: If "The Three Stooges Collection" was not meant for the shorts only, then why wasn't 1959's Have Rocket,Will Travel included in Volume 8 since it is no doubt labeled as 1955-1959?

Offline metaldams

As long as the features are released, I don't care what they call it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Haven't the features already been released?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Paul Allen

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ahh, I have a not-so-good quality copy of HRWT on my laptop.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Paul Allen

Larry Larry,

Is it asking too much of you for you to at least acknowledge that I have a legitimate point?

Paul Allen

Offline archiezappa

I guess I'm still looking for an all-new DVD box set of the Columbia Feature Films.  I really need it, you know.

Offline HELLOLARRY

Paul...take it easy on the poor guy.  [pie]

I agree, it doesn't matter what they call it. I hope it sees the light of day.  So I take it there has been no news.  Doesn't WB MOD have plans to do the MGM and Shemp Vitaphones too?

Hope everyone is well.  Haven't posted here in a while.